Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Hi, I have a friend. Really I do, and no, it's not me...

She has a few barking dogs over the back fence and I suggested trying
an ultrasonic device due to the telephone device not having any effect
on the dog's owner whatsoever during the last 4 years.

I've found a few 'cheapies' on the net like this
http://www.nextag.com/Super-Bark-Stop-Ultrasonic-518992747/prices-html
I also know that Oatley Electronics have a nice looking (or sounding)
kit, but I don't want to build one, and it doesn't seem to have a mic
'trigger'.

Maybe the cheaper ones aren't powerful enough and some heavier
artillery might be required
http://www.eharassment.ca/reference/acoustic.htm
I could probably also use the BPF4 to stop the neighbor from hell
visiting although I fear his hearing frequencies only extend to
listening to his own voice :-)

Anyway, the question is, has anyone here had much success with
ultrasonic 'dogboxes'?

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

It seems so from what I've read in Silicon Chip.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Ratsak buried in mince will fix the problem.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Hey, thanks heaps Bob (not) :->

Would that be for the owner, the dogs, or both?
I was hoping to give her an electronic (or high-voltage electrical
solution) to the problem if possible.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

OK the electronic way. Cut down a power pole and drop the AC power
leads into the yard into a puddle of water. You will have high voltage
solution!

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

I believe the ones that attach to the dog work. e.g.
<http://www.hushpuppy.com.au/index.html They require a cooperative
owner but that can usually be achieved by complaining to the local
council. The devices are expensive but many vets and some councils
have them for hire.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

**The way to go is to rent one of those little boxes which fits 'round the
dog's neck. Everytime the critter backs, it squirts citronella into the
dog's face. It works extremely well. One of my neighbours showed me the
difference with her dog. In the space of three weeks, it had turned her
animal from a noisy, annoying creature into an extremely well-behaved pet.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

--

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Phone your  council and ask to speak to the Local Laws Officer.  Give them your
complaint.
They should be able to help.    You will have to keep a diary of the times the
dog barks.
Been there, done that,  - problem solved.
Colin.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

your
I had a similar problem with a barking dog.

Buy/borrow a video camera which records time and date, make some
recordings and make them available to the local council. The recordings
need only to be made within your boundary to show the effects of the
annoyance within your domain.

This worked for me.....woof no more.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

your
And record the sounds on a cassete recorder or similar.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Video tape the barking , give the tape tp the council and let them sort
it out , you have NO other discourse , then at least the coucil is the
proven bad guy as they legally should not divulge who you are ( this is
a council though)

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

This is the best piece of advice your friend will ever get. Unfortunately
it's also the advice that she may never want to hear. If she doesn't want to
hear it, then there is   a b s o l u t e l y   nothing you can do that will
actually help her.

Move.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

I built the one from Oatley(late 90's model) and put it right next to my
sisters dog.......didn't make a bit of difference.
No the dog's not deaf and yes it was operating as it should. Tested it
myself
with a scope and it showed all the correct waveforms and voltages at the
test points.
Hasn't worked with neighbours dogs either.

You would need to be very close(next door) to the offending dog anyway
but again I don't think they work.

Maybe I can get it to stop the ants coming in to my kitchen instead ???

Boozo.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

How about recording the offending dog, and playing it back through a horn
speaker pointed at the dog owners house.
All night for a few nights should do it. When he complains you simply say
it's not your dog, it's his :-)
(of course YOU will need ear plugs as well)

MrT.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Thanks also Mr.T,

I was thinking of that as well, maybe output through a even more
directional speaker 'chamber' - something like a 2-stroke expansion
chamber for added effect.
Also modulating it for that special rat-tat-tat sound may help.
Too bad MY neighbor's dogs are reasonably OK, or some real fun could
be had!

BTW Mr.T, you wouldn't happen to have a brother name John by any
chance?
Just trying to test my 'logic' skills...

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Nope, sorry to disappoint you :-)

MrT.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Damn, so much for my logic skills....
Just to let you know, I was thinking you might be the Mr.T from SC.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Nah, it was a fair guess I suppose :-)

MrT.

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

Thanks very much Boozo,

This is the first time anyone has responded with a good answer and
exactly what I was hoping for, although not a great outcome :-(.

Maybe it'll work for ants, or even European wasps (preferably the
French variety <g>). Although I wouldn't want to be the one testing it
next to a wasp's nest!

Re: Barking hell! How effective is ultrasonic?

I have noticed Oatley has a newer model out maybe someone has made ??
This may work I don't know.

I buy a fair bit of gear from Oatley Electronics so don't want to put their
product down, but that was my experience with the one I made.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who has had any success
with these devices.

Boozo.

Site Timeline