Bargain

Aldi were selling Medion Life Smart Plugs for $20. At our local shop
they are selling them off at $10 which is a real bargain.
As they stand you have to control them with an app through a "Cloud"
probably in china - not so good. The "Brains" of the device is a TYWE2S
module which is based on the ESP8266 and is thus highly hackable. Some
care needs to be taken as there is 240v floating about in there, but
anybody competent in electronics should have no problems.

Re: Bargain

Thanks Keith. I bought a couple, and ground an old screwdriver to the
required triangular point to undo the screws. The device is indeed a
TUYA TYWE2S, which is based on the ESP8285, which is an ESP8266 with
1MByte of flash on-chip, so it doesn't need external flash like the ESP8266.

These can be re-flashed "over the air", and until Tuya started rolling
out a patch in Jan, you could do it yourself using
"https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert ". So if that patch has
been applied by Aldi/Medion (which is unlikely but possible), or if Tuya
has reflashed your device over the air, the only way to reprogram it is
to reflash using an RS232 dongle.

The device is supported by the Espurna open source smart-home software
available at <https://github.com/xoseperez/espurna , which uses Arduino
and PlatformIO, so even script kiddies have a chance of making it go.
Adafruit sell modules with the same chip, so it should be well
supported: <https://www.adafruit.com/product/4065 .

I haven't yet diagnosed which of the 9 pins are connected to what. But
there's obviously 3v3, GND, Tx, Rx and RESET. So that leaves four
connections, of which one goes to a momentary push-button and one must
drive the relay, leaving two... spare? I don't know yet.

In any case, unless you want to give some unknown Chinese people access
to your WiFi network, I'd recommend you don't buy these... unless you
intend to reflash them with some new code.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Bargain

https://fccid.io/2ANDL-TYWE2S/User-Manual/Users-Manual-3596121

I am lead to believe that the relay is on GPIO 14 although I haven't
personally confirmed that. There is another connection to the energy
monitoring chip, one to the push button and one to the LED.

Word has it that flashing them with Tasmota and the Teckin module will work.

https://thehackbox.org/tasmota/release/

Re: Bargain

Here is what I have traced out:
* IO13 goes to the LED, active low
* The switch goes to RXD0, with resistor pullup and debounce cap
* IO14 drives the relay via a transistor (which pulls low)
* IO12,IO4 and IO5 go to the energy monitoring chip
* TXD0 and TOUT are not connected

To re-program it, it would be necessary to free up Rx from the debounce
capacitor. It would probably suffice to add a series 2K resistor, so the
button still works but RS232 can over-ride that.

Thanks.

Does anyone recognise this energy monitoring chip? The marking I see is
"1852AVH":
<
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzf0km6m85c0a1s/SmartPlugEnergyChip2.jpg

<
https://www.dropbox.com/s/46sl5cxqapm9v4r/SmartPlugEnergyChip3.jpg

Clifford Heath.

Re: Bargain

I eventually got around to doing something with these. I flashed them
with tuya-convert using a raspberry-pi. I then updated them to the
latest version of Tasmota, and applied the Medion template available on
the main Tasmota site. I still have to set up MQTT, but though the web
interface I can control power on and off and monitor the voltage current
and power (some calibration was needed). The power can also be toggled
with the button on the switch itself.

Some of the steps weren't totally straight forward but the biggest
problem was that Tasmota has a maximum WiFi password size of 31 char, I
had an over the top Wifi password of 63 char and had to reset the
password on the router, 3 laptops, 2 iPads, 2 phones, 3 raspberry-pis
and 2 set top boxes.

I'm pretty happy with the result.

Site Timeline