band 5 sbs antenna

I have an old band 5 sbs 28 tv antenna. It was expensive at the time.

Will it work for digital tv?? Its a big job to setup on roof, I dont want to waste time..

Just a side question, when I place my meter on the antenna terminals its a direct short.. Looks like lead feeds a solid u bit of aluminium.. Does this sound ok?

Reply to
George Georgiou

It may , but is it a duel rx or meant speficially for vhf ? with no shorter uhf elements ? the short may indicater a balun , basically you may need to wait and try it when you change over and then make a decision

--
Reply to
atec77

You'll have to try it and see. Also the coaxial cable may need upgrading. It should be RG6 with atleast 2 shield layers (1 foil,

1 braid) preferably 4 shield layers, 2 foil 2 braid (interleaved).

That is typical of most TV antennas, it does not indicate a fault.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

no its a dedicated uhf only.. about 1.2m long.. Now that I read more I think its a band IV not 5. I remember it was bought only to get sbs 28. Band IV antennas for channels 28 to 35 Band V antennas for channels 39 to 69

Looks like for digital I need to tune from 28 - 50, my band IV only designed 28 to 35.

yes you are right, it is the balun that I am reading as a short, Looks like Ill just have to try it..

George Georgiou

You should probably replace the old caox with RG6 tri or quad which is very cheap and some n fittings to maximise signal but you might be lucky

--
Reply to
atec77