"B N R" on street pole

I saw this street pole today on a rural road (actually just inside
someone's property)

http://www.fadingvictoria.com/p/bnr.jpg

Does anyone know what B, N and R stand for? Just curious :)

Re: "B N R" on street pole

----------------------------
Just a guess (that could easily be wrong!)

Maybe  Blue, Neutral, Red (white isnt connected on this pole)
In larger switchboards you often see the phases colour coded as
red,white,blue.  Makes it easier than having all 3 incoming actives in
red

Usually after they go through the 3 phase switchgear and off to their
loads (power points etc) they just use red.

Re: "B N R" on street pole

Err, I always though the pahse colours were red, blue and yellow (well at
least in Australia).
Can't comment on the the rest of the world though.

Re: "B N R" on street pole

On Feb 13, 1:27 pm, "Alan Rutlidge"

Good morning,

They would stand for Red, Neutral and Blue for Red Phase, Neutral and
Blue Phase - white phase would seem to be absent on this pole
Most power companies have conventions for identifying conductors on
the pole, red phase usually being closest to the road. Yellow has
not legally been able to be used for an active or any other conductor
for some time now.
Aussie wiring is
Red = Phase A
White = Phase B (Formerly Yellow but hasn't been since the 70's)
Blue = Phase C
Black = Neutral,
Green/Yellow = Earth

Brown and Light Blue are used in flexible cords, and only on sizes
under 4mm as defined in Australian Standards. Fixed wiring is as
above.

Cheers

Re: "B N R" on street pole

Thanks for the heads up on the phase colour change.
Not being a sparkie I rarely get to poke my head into a switchboard these
days. ;-)
I wonder why they changed the colour from yellow to white?

Cheers,
Alan

Re: "B N R" on street pole

Fairly obviously to prevent confusion when the earth was changed from green
to green/yellow IMO.

MrT.

Re: "B N R" on street pole

two points , mainly for avoiding confusion with a striped earth but also
most of the world around us sees white as the death colour so all over
Asia white is active ( look inside many a/s split systems)

Re: "B N R" on street pole

Red and yellow can look very similar to some colour blind people, as well as
green and yellow.

Re: "B N R" on street pole

On Feb 14, 9:13 am, swanny

I think its actually Red and Green that is the most common form of
colour blindness. Reason for banning yellow wires for any function at
all is that it would look pretty similar to earth wires. Green cannot
be used for anyting other than earth for the same reason.

Besides you can't really do electrical work while colour blind as it
you do need to be able to distinguish colours.

Never heard of the white/death thing before but I guess its possible.
USA uses white for neutral and black for active.

Some european made circuit breakers use a "cream" coloured wire as a
functional earth (how thats different from white I don't know).
Telecommunications earths sometimes use Purple and wires inside
imported industrial equipment seem to use any colour for anyting
including green for actives. Yes thats probably not compliant but it
does exist and is something to watch out for. Portable temporary earth
wires/cables power utilities use on high voltage equipment is usually
coloured orange but for a number of reasons these aren't likely to be
confused with anything.

Cheers

Re: "B N R" on street pole

From memory (could be wrong!) I think Germany used to use Black for
Active, White for Neutral and Red for Ground!

I presume now they use the standard Blue,Brown & Green/Yellow.

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

That is a nasty trap for the unwary too.  Many people in Aus seem to
assume that the White in a US cord is the active, and when changing to
an australian plug, wire accordingly.  Also the active is on the upper
right on a US socket, not upper left like here.

Some japanese cords I have come across years ago have white/black too.
Can't remember if they use the white as an active or not though.  Best
to check inside the appliance first to make sure.

I remember seeing this on an old german projector cord some time ago,
had a red (or red with black stripe) for the earth.  Was only
discovered when changing the mains plug from an old bakelite one.
Cord (naturally) was replaced with a standard Australian one. Cant
remember what the A and N colours were but they were also some unusual
colour combination. Since the projector had mostly a cast metal body,
it was a deathtrap if wired wrongly

interesting, can anyone enlighten us on this ?
The UK definitely uses this standard on appliance cords from what I
have seen, so its possible that this has become a european standard -
or within the EU anyway.

Re: "B N R" on street pole

if you're interested wikipedia has more than you'll ever need to know on the
subject.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: "B N R" on street pole

Bazza, Normie, and Ritcho.
The 3 local blokes that were silly enough to go up the pole, and string
the lines. :-)

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html