AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics
http://www.avg.com.au/index.cfm?section=news&feature10%4

Looks like user feed back finally pushed AVG into fixing the LinkScanner
Issues.

Are they too late?
Many have already jumped ship.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

     I uninstalled that bloatware and went back to version 7.5...

Bob

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:44:39 +1000, Bob Parker

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

This is currently the biggest security issue affecting the entire
Internet:
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA08-190B.html

"An attacker with the ability to conduct a successful cache poisoning
attack can cause a nameserver's clients to contact the incorrect, and
possibly malicious, hosts for particular services. Consequently, web
traffic, email, and other important network data can be redirected to
systems under the attacker's control."

Just about everyone is working on a fix.

To find out if the DNS server you use is vulnerable, click the "Check
My DNS" button at this URL:
 http://www.doxpara.com /

- Franc Zabkar

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

Fascinating but way over my head. Can you simplifiy that somehow ?

Thanks,  Graham

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:17:39 +0100, Eeyore
composed:

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

It's over my head, too, but my understanding is that the whole DNS
system for the Internet is now vulnerable to "phishing" attacks.

See
http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,23992662-5014108,00.html

"Attackers could use the vulnerability to route internet users
wherever they wanted no matter what website address was typed into a
web browser."

- Franc Zabkar

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

I see.

So now maybe we have to select secure DNS servers ? Or is it even worse than
that ?

Graham

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
that ?

DJBDNS was always safe, but the error is in the *protocol*,
and relies on attacker predicting the next TXID. In most
DNS servers that wasn't hard. The only safe server is one
that either was running safe software (few, safe because
they randomised the TXID) or has been patched.

Make sure you install the required patches.

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:17:39 +0100, Eeyore
composed:

I found the following explanation helpful:
http://www.securesphere.net/download/papers/dnsspoof.htm

- Franc Zabkar

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:44:39 +1000, Bob Parker

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

Its free, if you dont like it go pay for norton.

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

    I am paying for it.

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

You HAVE to be joking ! Biggest POS ever. Or is that MacAfee ?

Graham

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 02:56:44 +0100, Eeyore

My point exactly. AVG is free and its good

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

Heard similar elsewhere.

Have not upgraded from V7.5 and the updates are still coming in so far (so they
must have a clue
all is not well). If it's not fixed I will also jump ship. Avast seems to be
well rated AIUI.

Graham

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
I removed AVG V8 and reloaded it without the website scanner.
Now my DL/UL speeds are back to normal.

http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

Why not just disable the scanner from within the AVG program?

Richard.

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

Lol, that would be common sense. But lest just whinge about a free
program, thats more fun.

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.

How tricky is it to spot the option ? I'm sure this must be where my neighbour
went wrong.

Eventually he lost ALL IP connectivity.

Graham

Re: AVG Version 8 Antivirus software loading web sites badly.
Why is this here?
I thought I was in ACV or ACAV.
http://neowin.net/news/main/08/07/07/avg-fixes-antivirus-software-skewing-web-site-statistics