autotrax component library

I have been using autotrax to design boards. Its pretty simple for my basic
boards and I like the way it works for my application, so I would prefer not
to deviate from this package. Also the people that I get to manufacture the
boards, can work with the .pcb format.

My question is with regard to expanding the component library. I am in need
of a PCB mount 3.5mm connector template. Does anyone know where I can get an
extended component library for autotrax that has this part?

Cheers,
Phil

Re: autotrax component library

Phil,

I am assuming you are talking about Protel Autotrax? If so, check out
the RCS site:

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/rcspcb/rcscadxx.htm

If you are using "The Other" Autotrax, this info will probably be no
good.

Andy

Re: autotrax component library

Yes, sorry, I am talking about Protel Autotrax. I have looked at your link
and will email the author to see if they have what I am after. Thanks!

Re: autotrax component library

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:09:12 +1000, "Phil in Melbourne"

Don't, whatever you do, ask Bob this question. Without trying to speak
on his behalf he doesn't take kindly to people who don't do their own
homework. He has gone to the trouble of providing his libraries for
free and it is up to you to download them and see if they contain the
component you are looking for. Failing that it is easy enough to
design your own component using a vernier gauge and a real component.

See http://users.tpg.com.au/rcspcb/index2.htm

Re: autotrax component library

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:20:34 GMT, Ross Herbert

You may also download Airborn Electronics libraries
http://www.airborn.com.au/layout/autolib1.html

Re: autotrax component library

Thanks Ross. I have looked at the menus in Autotrax and I dont see an option
to make my own component. Am I missing something?

I did a google search and i have seen the airborn page, but it does not show
a 3.5mm connector on the listing.

Cheers, Phil

 Failing that it is easy enough to

Re: autotrax component library

Press the "L" button, that brings up the library menu.

SC did several articles on using AutoTrax a while back, can't remember
if it had anything on creating components though.

Dave :)

Re: autotrax component library

create the component on the screen with the usual pads & tracks etc and
define the component area using the "Block" command. It will ask you to
set the reference point (usually centre of pin1), and then you can
select Library and Add Component. Make sure you create and load your
own library first though, somewhere in the Library menu.

I'm sure someone will correct me if that ain't exactly right.

Dave :)

Re: autotrax component library

 It's been a long long time since I did, but your description
certainly fits what I remember. A 'component' is no more than
a bunch of lines and circles and text on various layers that
happen to be stuck together in a 'block' and then stuck in
a library.

 If the part you need is at all complex, often the easiest
way to build it up is to take the closest thing you can find
from an existing library, 'explode' it, modify it, and regroup
the individual bits into a new 'component'.

 HTH,

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: autotrax component library

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go.

Re: autotrax component library

Close enough that I wouldn't bother to argue, but I haven't used it for a
while either.
I did create my own component libraries though, and never had much trouble
myself.

MrT.

Re: autotrax component library

  I do it the easy way, with good 'ol Bishop Graphics stick-on lines &
donuts. Never believed in that new-fangled "CAD" stuff.

Bob

Re: autotrax component library

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:00:23 +1000, Bob Parker

SNIP

Go on Bob, if I can do it, you can - and I'm an ex PMG/Telecom/Telstra
tech like you. It really is fairly simple after you read all the
documentation you can find, and make a few blunders along the way -
took me about a week and I was able to make my own components library
and produce a few board designs.

Re: autotrax component library

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:10:51 GMT, "David in Sydney"

   Thanks David! Bob Barnes is an old mate of mine. I'll see if he can
give me some pointers about how to do artworks with a PC. :-)

Cheers
Bob

Re: autotrax component library

need
an

For something as simple as that, why not just create your own? I find a pair
of vernier callipers helpful.

MrT.

Re: autotrax component library

How do I do that? I don't see a menu to design my own component.

Site Timeline