autotrax component library

I have been using autotrax to design boards. Its pretty simple for my basic boards and I like the way it works for my application, so I would prefer not to deviate from this package. Also the people that I get to manufacture the boards, can work with the .pcb format.

My question is with regard to expanding the component library. I am in need of a PCB mount 3.5mm connector template. Does anyone know where I can get an extended component library for autotrax that has this part?

Cheers, Phil

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

Phil,

I am assuming you are talking about Protel Autotrax? If so, check out the RCS site:

If you are using "The Other" Autotrax, this info will probably be no good.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yes, sorry, I am talking about Protel Autotrax. I have looked at your link and will email the author to see if they have what I am after. Thanks!

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

need

an

For something as simple as that, why not just create your own? I find a pair of vernier callipers helpful.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Don't, whatever you do, ask Bob this question. Without trying to speak on his behalf he doesn't take kindly to people who don't do their own homework. He has gone to the trouble of providing his libraries for free and it is up to you to download them and see if they contain the component you are looking for. Failing that it is easy enough to design your own component using a vernier gauge and a real component.

See

Ross Herbert

You may also download Airborn Electronics libraries

Ross Herbert

How do I do that? I don't see a menu to design my own component.

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

Thanks Ross. I have looked at the menus in Autotrax and I dont see an option to make my own component. Am I missing something?

I did a google search and i have seen the airborn page, but it does not show a 3.5mm connector on the listing.

Cheers, Phil

Failing that it is easy enough to

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

Press the "L" button, that brings up the library menu.

SC did several articles on using AutoTrax a while back, can't remember if it had anything on creating components though.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

create the component on the screen with the usual pads & tracks etc and define the component area using the "Block" command. It will ask you to set the reference point (usually centre of pin1), and then you can select Library and Add Component. Make sure you create and load your own library first though, somewhere in the Library menu.

I'm sure someone will correct me if that ain't exactly right.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

It's been a long long time since I did, but your description certainly fits what I remember. A 'component' is no more than a bunch of lines and circles and text on various layers that happen to be stuck together in a 'block' and then stuck in a library.

If the part you need is at all complex, often the easiest way to build it up is to take the closest thing you can find from an existing library, 'explode' it, modify it, and regroup the individual bits into a new 'component'.

HTH,

GB

--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Phil in Melbourne

Close enough that I wouldn't bother to argue, but I haven't used it for a while either. I did create my own component libraries though, and never had much trouble myself.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I do it the easy way, with good 'ol Bishop Graphics stick-on lines & donuts. Never believed in that new-fangled "CAD" stuff.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

SNIP

Go on Bob, if I can do it, you can - and I'm an ex PMG/Telecom/Telstra tech like you. It really is fairly simple after you read all the documentation you can find, and make a few blunders along the way - took me about a week and I was able to make my own components library and produce a few board designs.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Thanks David! Bob Barnes is an old mate of mine. I'll see if he can give me some pointers about how to do artworks with a PC. :-)

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker