Australian supplier of 'virgin' 20 pin ATX connectors ?

Can anyone recommend a supplier of unused 20 pin ATX connectors ?

I'm building a computer in a case based around a VIA ITX board, and rather than use the standard connector that came with the DC-DC converter, I want to reterminate my own.

My aim is to avoid having any slack cable inside to save space and avoid any airflow problems.

There's nothing listed on DSE, Jaycar, or Altronics, and I could not find anything useful on Farnell's web site.

There seem to be a lot of people selling just the nylon bit (case modders mainly).

Can anyone suggest an Australian source ? Even just the pins (albeit the little buggers are square and rare) would be great.

Please reply to this newsgroup - the reply email address does not work.

Thanks,

Sean

Reply to
Sean Lincolne

(snip)

We consume a few in the form of pre-made ATX-ATX extension harnesses for

Reply to
budgie

Your other option is shorten the cable inside the power supply. Desolder each wire where it enters the power supply circuit board, shorten to length and resolder back in place. If you do one at a time you shouldn't get into trouble. This way you don't have to worry about the connector at all! This assumes you have reasonable soldering skills and check that uou don't cause any solder bridges.

Regards Russell

Reply to
Russ_Verdon

Hi,

Unfortunately my dilemma is that the cable that leaves the PSU board is not soldered in.

The PSU comes with a cable with an ATX connector at each end (it's a MiniBox M2 DC-DC converter) so I can't do that.

Worst case scenario I can simply cut bits out of the centre of the cable and then rejoin them - but that's ugly :-(

Thanks

Russ_Verd> Your other option is shorten the cable inside the power supply. Desolder

Reply to
Sean Lincolne

Just *how* short is suitable?

Reply to
budgie

Page 37 of the ATX12V Design Guide gives particulars of the Molex 24 pin main power connector.

Whether you can buy them in small qty is unknown.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

technically only 7ish connectors are actually needed because there are only 12 -12 5 -5 3.3 pgood p-on *the different colours* there are multiples of each one for load sharing purposes (the many grounds and

+12 (yellow) that are doubled up) in reality if the load is light (via epia's) you only need one of each colour,maybe even ditch the -5 and -12 cause they are for legacy etc
Reply to
matt2-amstereo

Unfortunately my problem is finding an Australian distributor for any. Whether I get 7 or 20, the problem is still the same.

I'll probably end up getting them from the US - Mouser have them in their catalog - at US$0.17 each.

matt2-amstereo wrote:

Reply to
Sean Lincolne

Try

search for 4138417

(new 2006 catalog yellow book pg:369)

PS: Dont work for em, just buy bits an pieces.

--
Daryl Sayers
To reply please remove the XYZ from the email address.

Thanks,

That's the plug (not what I'm after) but it looks like they have the pins (269220 - Molex part 39-00-0078) - at $49.55 + postage for a pack of 100.

I can buy them cheaper from the USA.

Probably the smart thing to do :-(

Sean

Daryl Sayers wrote:

Reply to
Sean Lincolne

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:51:53 +1100, Sean Lincolne put finger to keyboard and composed:

... plus GST

Have you tried Molex Far East South Management P/L?

Lvl 7, 91 Phillip St Parramatta NSW 2150

t: 02 9707 4977 f: 02 97933577

Alternatively, here is a compatible part (AMP 794421-1):

Try contacting Tyco Electronics:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar