Australian Reverse Phonebook?

(lurk mode off...)

as an aside to this, my little girl rang "000" when she was about two, - playing with the phone as little kids are wont to do - and while there was no emergency, the police showed up at the front door about ten minutes later to check that everything was ok. they wanted to walk through just to make sure, which was obviously no problem, but it goes to show they do have a database of phone numbers vs addresses at their disposal; and obviously in an emergency situation, it can only be a good thing.

also works for hoaxes however...

a cynic might suppose the police have much greater powers these days..

cheers,

timbo.

--

http://www.skyrockats.com
Reply to

The process works as follows.

A call to "000" is received at the "agent"'s call centre. (The agent role is a contracted service. To date it has been carried out by Telstra or a Telstra WOS. Maybe they are especially protective of "their" database).

The agent system hosts the IPND.

Calls to 000 from both listed and unlisted services have their CLI forwarded, and caller (A party) blocking has no effect on this.

The A party CLI information, and the corresponding IPND information, are available on the agent's screen.

The agent asks: "which service do you require - Police, Fire or Ambulance?"

Depending on screen data, the agent may ask "which state?"

Caller selects P/F/A (one only).

The agent console attaches a sequence number to the screen data.

The agent then sets up a voice call to the requested ESO (one keystroke/button push), and separately despatches data via X.25 or ISDN circuits (not the voice circuit) to the requested ESO in the target state.

ESO interceptor answers call. A party is still on the line (effectively a three-way call). Agent gives ESO interceptor the sequence number by voice.

ESO's software system provides a display of incoming data, and the interceptor matches the sequence number given by voice to an entry in that display.

Agent disconnects from voice circuit, leaving A party connected to ESO.

Usual protocol where a caller does not (cannot) select an ESO, the call is forwarded to Police. This can range from toddlers to vics with their throat slit, language issues, heart attack etc.

Reply to
budgie

Yes they can, but IME couldn't be bothered. When a burglar rang me trying to get personal information, probably to use the stolen credit cards, police refused to do any search. Yes it may have only lead to a public phone box, but unfortunately I will never know.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Well, you should have pushed harder. I forget the technical term for it (they have an acronym I can't remember now), but there is a request which must be approved by a station superintendent or some-such level, which asks for particular details on a call made to a specified number at a specified time. The telco will generally have a couple of *weeks* to respond.

At least, that's what I was told and what happened when some miscreant kid phoned my son one afternoon offering to return an article of ours that was stolen earlier the same day, in return for cash. I had to argue on the phone to the nice WPC to get her to admit it was even possible, and that even though the value wasn't great, this was still theft and attempted extortion and they should investigate regardless. Then I had to go down there with my son and fill in the forms, and *then* she could take it to the super for approval.

I don't believe (except in *very* serious cases like child abduction etc) that the police can just go on a fishing expedition, or get any answer quickly. A request like Phil mentions is definitely possible, but would require a magistrate's approval at least.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

phone

extortion

my

Yes that's my impression. They give you the run around, and make it as difficult as possible, hope you give up in disgust and they save themselves the work. Works most of the time I imagine. Then they have more time for booking motorists travelling 3kph over the speed limit :-(

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

"Clifford Heath"

** Nope - only a telecoms warrant signed by the local desk sergeant.

Reasonable grounds must exist - like a signed statement from a complainant re criminal use of the phone system.

Reply to
Phil Allison

What the hell are you talkin about ?? You're the moron, Moron. Why don't you get back to your CB radio and abuse someone there.

So what if he or anyone else has a silent number d*****ad. You want anyone to know all your details ?? Well why don't you tell everyone here your bank details, card numbers etc...don't forget to give us your current address and phone number. Dickhead.

Reply to
Boozo

Oh WOW, Mr Global warming has dropped into to raise the intellectual level of debate.

Reply to
Terryc