Australian Reverse Phonebook? - Page 2

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

"Wayne Reid"

** When you phone " 000 " your phone number comes up on a screen whether it
is listed or not -   the operator only asks for your number as a cross check
that the call is genuine.

Hoaxes are reported and a reverse search is often done to track the culprit.

The Police can obtain a warrant very easily to compel a service provider to
supply them details on any number ( land or mobile) with a detailed list
with dates and times of ALL numbers called from or * received by *  that
number in previous weeks or months.

......    Phil

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

(lurk mode off...)

as an aside to this, my little girl rang "000" when she was about two, -
playing with the phone as little kids are wont to do - and while there was
no emergency, the police showed up at the front door about ten minutes later
to check that everything was ok. they wanted to walk through just to make
sure, which was obviously no problem, but it goes to show they do have a
database of phone numbers vs addresses at their disposal; and obviously in
an emergency situation, it can only be a good thing.

also works for hoaxes however...

a cynic might suppose the police have much greater powers these days..

cheers,

timbo.

--

http://www.skyrockats.com

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

The process works as follows.

A call to "000" is received at the "agent"'s call centre.  (The agent role is a
contracted service.  To date it has been carried out by Telstra or a Telstra
WOS.  Maybe they are especially protective of "their" database).

The agent system hosts the IPND.

Calls to 000 from both listed and unlisted services have their CLI forwarded,
and caller (A party) blocking has no effect on this.

The A party CLI information, and the corresponding IPND information, are
available on the agent's screen.

The agent asks: "which service do you require - Police, Fire or Ambulance?"

Depending on screen data, the agent may ask "which state?"

Caller selects P/F/A (one only).

The agent console attaches a sequence number to the screen data.

The agent then sets up a voice call to the requested ESO (one keystroke/button
push), and separately despatches data via X.25 or ISDN circuits (not the voice
circuit) to the requested ESO in the target state.

ESO interceptor answers call.  A party is still on the line (effectively a
three-way call).  Agent gives ESO interceptor the sequence number by voice.

ESO's software system provides a display of incoming data, and the interceptor
matches the sequence number given by voice to an entry in that display.

Agent disconnects from voice circuit, leaving A party connected to ESO.

Usual protocol where a caller does not (cannot) select an ESO, the call is
forwarded to Police.  This can range from toddlers to vics with their throat
slit, language issues, heart attack etc.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Yes they can, but IME couldn't be bothered. When a burglar rang me trying to
get personal information, probably to use the stolen credit cards, police
refused to do any search. Yes it may have only lead to a public phone box,
but unfortunately I will never know.

MrT.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Well, you should have pushed harder. I forget the technical term for it
(they have an acronym I can't remember now), but there is a request which
must be approved by a station superintendent or some-such level, which
asks for particular details on a call made to a specified number at a
specified time. The telco will generally have a couple of *weeks* to
respond.

At least, that's what I was told and what happened when some miscreant kid
phoned my son one afternoon offering to return an article of ours that was
stolen earlier the same day, in return for cash. I had to argue on the phone
to the nice WPC to get her to admit it was even possible, and that even
though the value wasn't great, this was still theft and attempted extortion
and they should investigate regardless. Then I had to go down there with my
son and fill in the forms, and *then* she could take it to the super for
approval.

I don't believe (except in *very* serious cases like child abduction etc) that
the police can just go on a fishing expedition, or get any answer quickly. A
request like Phil mentions is definitely possible, but would require a
magistrate's approval at least.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

phone
extortion
my

Yes that's my impression. They give you the run around, and make it as
difficult as possible, hope you give up in disgust and they save themselves
the work.
Works most of the time I imagine. Then they have more time for booking
motorists travelling 3kph over the speed limit :-(

MrT.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

"Clifford Heath"

 **  Nope   -   only a telecoms warrant signed by the local desk sergeant.

Reasonable grounds must exist   -  like a signed statement from a
complainant re criminal use of the phone system.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

IIRC the E is Electronic.  Of course, it'd have to be ...

It's really a reverse-searchable equivalent of the WPonline.  And last time I
used it, it didn't have unlisted numbers.

IPND, Integrated Public Number Database.  Emergency services organisations
(ESO's) don't get to search it, unless things have changed dramatically of
recent time.

Site Timeline