Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Hi, all

I need to find the "owner" of a particular phone number. Why? Because every
now and then i get a call on my my mobile (from different numbers). There is
a single ring and call is disconencted and person never calls again. I have
a feeling that this is some sort of scam that expects you to call back. To
be sure,  I want to trace the number(s) before attempting to call back.
(Mobile is used mainly for business and I do not want to lose customers
either).

A service caled "Australian Reverse Phonebook" existed at some stage then it
was shutdown, but as far as I remember, there was a website with slightly
outdated data that provided reverse phone number lookup.

If anyone has the link, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rudolf

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

http://greypages.mazzanet.id.au /

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

The "Greypages" is what you are after:
http://greypages.mazzanet.id.au /

I like how you can search for a number and then get a hyperlink to
everyone else on the same street.

Dave :)

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Thanks, that worked ok.

Last call I got was from a  residential address. Given that it is in
different state from where I am, I assume it was an error.

Rudolf

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Better be quick. This is posted on the site:

"22/12/06 - Telstra send legal threat.
Telstra apparently claim copyright to the data behind this lookup and
amidst the tens of thousands of searches per day (no joke :O), the fact
that it's all public data, the fact that ACMA have previously
acknowledged it, and the fact that the database isn't actually hosted
in this country, they want the data to be removed. Hooray for Telstra
and their budding mid-twenties Tasmanian law grad.
However, don't expect this lookup to exist much longer in it's present
state and/or location...
An online petition by the users (this means YOU) would also be good.
Maybe some free legal advice too.
Email snipped-for-privacy@mazzanet.id.au if you can help in any way.
And no, I won't give you a copy of the database (unless you live in and
have access to server(s) in Sweden, the Netherlands, Russia or
Finland)."

Dave :)

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

finger to keyboard and composed:

Can the new Telstra still legally publish our private data in a public
database without our explicit consent?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

I think you explicitly consented when you asked for a white pages
listing.  Telephone books are publicly available.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

"Adrian Jansen"

** Plus of course the phone directory is on line too.

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/initResSearch.do

The German one allows searching by number.

http://www.dastelefonbuch.de /

......   Phil

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

is on line too.
-----------------------------------
the Azerbaijan phone company even goes one better
it not only allows searching by number,
it also shows how much money they currently owe the phone company :)

http://www.phone.rabita.az /
to test  (in brackets are what to select to make it work for yourself)

"rayon" = select the city (sumqayit)
"telefon" = enter the number (7 digits, first ones are "6482" for
sumqayit so try 6482111 for example)

then
press "axtar" ("submit" button)
--------

the results page:

SAA = subscriber's name
kucanin = address

abune haqqi avans = amount currently owing  (x,xx = amount in Euro)

----------

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

put finger to keyboard and composed:

Well, if I had refused, Telstra would have extorted a "silent number"
fee from me, not just once, but each and every year.

Exactly. Should any company be permitted to publish your personal
details in a public database? Will a fully privatised Telstra still
enjoy the protection of special legislation (?) that allows it to
flout privacy laws?

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

"Franc Zabkar Fuckwit "

** ROTFLMAO   !!!!!!!

This Zabkrap imbecile thinks  EVERYONE  should have a silent number,  by
law.

Such paranoia makes you really wonder about his background.

BTW

The cretin does have a silent number.

.......   Phil

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

 LOL. Did you try looking him up? Did you try Grey pages    ;)

Try looking under bush lawyers. He seems to be an expert on privacy
legislation...

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

What the hell are you talkin about ?? You're the moron, Moron.
Why don't you get back to your CB radio and abuse someone there.

So what if he or anyone else has a silent number dickhead.
You want anyone to know all your details ??
Well why don't you tell everyone here your bank details, card numbers
etc...don't forget to give us your current address and phone number.
Dickhead.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Oh WOW, Mr Global warming has dropped into to raise the intellectual
level of debate.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

"Rudolf"

**  If it  IS a call back scam -  you can bet your bum the number is
unlisted (ie a "silent number).

Most mobile numbers and around 35% of all numbers are unlisted  - unlisted
numbers do  NOT  appear in look up databases.  The one known as "Greypages"
is also years behind the current phone book -  so relatively new numbers are
not there either.

If you wanna know who called you  -  the only sure way is to phone the
number and ask the person who answers.

.......  Phil

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

every
is
have
it

If you know any members of the Police Force you could ask them to find it
for you as a favor.

Charles L

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Hey Charles - do you mean that they would look it up for you for free, or
would there be a collect in there somewhere for the member? Oh, I'd better
add one of these...     ;)

...wouldn't do for anyone to think my question was serious.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

it

It is known that police can look up silent numbers and find land-line
numbers of dwellings just from an address. So I just thought if you knew
someone....

Charles L

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

is it really?

their access through NED does NOT include unlisted numbers, unless it has
changed VERY recently.

Re: Australian Reverse Phonebook?

What's that? National Emergency Database?

It would hardly be useful if it didn't contain unlisted numbers (depending
on its' purpose). Where do they source the data for NED?

Emergency services have access to a databse (ONPD I think) that does allow
reverse searches, but this would only be accessible for privildged emergency
personell I presume. I wouldn't think that a cop could (legally / ethically)
search any privilidged database for a mate, no matter what the purpose -
what with privacy legislationa and all that.

Site Timeline