Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer - Page 2

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Thanks for the link Dave, that's almost directly parallels the situation
here in Scotland (and the rest of the UK).

Nial

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Oct 2010 01:44:41 GMT) it happened "David L. Jones"

Nice video Dve.
I had problems playing it in flashplayer 10.1 though.
Now that seems to be an Adobe problem, no hardware acceleration'working for this
'hd' video it seems.
So here is hwo to convert it to a lower bitrate forma ttha twil play wit hxine
in Linuxc:

1) play the above url in flash, ignore any jerking picture and dropped sound,
   wait untill it is fully loaded.
   the video is then in /tmp/Flash....

2) Convert the video to some other format with a recent version of ffmpeg,
   for example to .ts:
   ffmpeg -i FlashXXVbtpgb  -f mpegts -r 25 -vb 4000000 -y
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

3) play it in the normal way with ffplay:
   ffplay state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts
   or xine state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

I did chose ts format because it streams so nicely over the LAN.
-rw------- 1 root root  55262388 2010-10-07 14:01 FlashXXVbtpgb
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 108013332 2010-10-07 15:02
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts
As you see the .ts is longer, but the bitrate 4000 kb/s is lower,
putting less strain on the hardware, it should play.
Picture is still OK.

MS win[!]do[w]s user will have to buy bigger hardware, much bigger.
Adobe sucks CPU cycles, I had a look at heir blog,
and flashplayer 10.1 does not seem to work for many people.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
this 'hd' video it seems.
in Linuxc:
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

Why? Runs perfectly smooth on my Windows XP office computer. Oh, and I
have a SPICE sim running in the background. Maybe your Linux boxen are
the problem :-)

Anyhow, do you know where one can buy the "third hand" holding device at
0:24 min into this video clip, in Europe? Looks a lot sturdier than
those flimsy single alligator clip with set screw things. A guy in
Germany was asking for just that recently.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:34:39 -0700) it happened Joerg

It is probably a complot betwene Adobe and Microsoft.
The both adore the God Of Bloat.
 http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/microsoft-and-adobe-chiefs-meet-to-discuss-partnerships/?ref=technology
Ballmer and the Adobe CEO got togeth4r to discuss strategy against Apple.
What a joke,
they should just make sane stuff, else they are finsished (Adobe already is).
Nokia also got together with MS, and even has an ex MS manager as CEO now.
No more Nokia for me, I know what will happen.

Strange, that is at 14 seconds in my player....
You can get those from many places, Conrad has them too I think.
Or the one at 1:31 with the PCB in it?
Dunno about that one.

Oh, yes, Conrard.
I typed 'derde hand' (Dutch for third hand) in www.conrad.nl search window,
prices from 5 to 10 Euro (wity magnifying glass).

I think the main problem with electronics for the beginner is that everything
gets too small.
I mean you need a microscope and oven to start.
No markings on SMDs, so nothing to re-use.
Ball grids so nothing for a kid to put together.
The PICs is DIL is about the last thing that allows some beginners to develop
something.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

True. But ... it works.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/microsoft-and-adobe-chiefs-meet-to-discuss-partnerships/?ref=technology

Well, I'll keep my trusty Nokia 2115i :-)

I meant the first one. The Conrad web site is so screwed up, do you have
any idea how this thing could be called in German or Dutch so one could
find it? I really like the sturdy little pole it is fastened to, and the
fact that it has two outriggers.

How do you get to their Dutch site? With "Dritte Hand" (German) I only
found the usual flimsy ones:

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/FastSearch.html ;jsessionid4E%039474BEB907A230FADB38BA705CDB.ASTPCCP3?search=dritte+hand&=Schnellsuche&initial=true

It didn't recognize "derde hand".

gets too small.

I use a Veho microscope. It has cost me $100. Much less strain on the
neck and the eyes.

Even in my professional designs I never use BGA, except maybe a small
6-8 ball RF device. Anything much bigger is a recipe for field failures.
Even more so with RoHS.

something.

MSP430 also come in DIP. However, I think SMT is easier for hobbyists.
0805 and 0603 usually have markings but not the caps. For SOT23 you need
a look-up table but those are on the web. For caps, and ideally for
other stuff, you've got to get things organized into bins or coin
envelopes (I use both). The beauty of it is that it occupies a whole lot
less space in the cabinet. For hobbyists my advice is to keep some
larger boards with SMT. From the old VCR, and so on. If suddenly you
find you need a 12.4k resistor chances are there's one on there. Oh,
plus you can stack'em. And keep two solder irons, makes it a breeze to
get parts off the old VCR board.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:31:49 -0700) it happened Joerg

Only on a super fast PC, tha tis why Intel is in on it too,
they want to sell ever mroe hardware, and MS and Adobe ever more software.
That you can just download H264 is NOT somthing the ycould make a profit on.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/microsoft-and-adobe-chiefs-meet-to-discuss-partnerships/?ref=technology

I have 2 Nokias, one with internet and video, I like it, but, and I do no teven
like Apple,
they will have very hard time countering Apple,
It now seems Android is the big winner, and is Android not Linux based?

Tell you German frrend to look for article numbers
  588221 - 62
  588124 - 62
  588225 - 62

Then why not type 'Dritte Hand' in www.conrad.de?

I you beat me to it.

That is the one from the movie.
www.display.nl has them too:
 http://www.display.nl/Gereedschap/Klemsysteem/Klemsysteem-derde-hand/HH-391A.html

Because I use conrad.nl

Maybe you, with your advanced system, can post a screenshot of that movie of the
one you mean?
It is easy with xine, just press the button.

gets too small.

Yes I have one too, older, but magnification is too big.
I can do it with the webcams though.

something.

Seems liek a clever idea, 2 irons.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/images/ThirdHand.jpg

Well, this here PC is several year old and has a 1.6GHz Intel dual-core
processor. Standard graphics hardware, as integrated on the Dell-edition
of the Foxconn mobo.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/microsoft-and-adobe-chiefs-meet-to-discuss-partnerships/?ref=technology
teven like Apple,

No idea. I don't need any of this stuff.

Thanks. The first two look flimsy but the 3rd one might be ok. I just
told him about it.

As I said, I did, but only the first two came up.

http://www.display.nl/Gereedschap/Klemsysteem/Klemsysteem-derde-hand/HH-391A.html

That's the usual flimsy kind. There always comes a day where you tighten
the holding screws almost to the point where the threads strip out and
the thing still sags. This is why I resorted to a drill press vise.

http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/FastSearch.html ;jsessionid4E%039474BEB907A230FADB38BA705CDB.ASTPCCP3?search=dritte+hand&=Schnellsuche&

That failed in my browser this morning. Now all I get is "U gebruikt een
verouderde link. Roep de pagina opnieuw op", which typically means they
succumbed to cookie mania. No way I am going to do that. Too old of a
link, yeah, right. If they fired the script kiddies they could probably
sell a lot more stuff.

the one you mean?

Here goes:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/images/ThirdHand.jpg

everything gets too small.

I tried a web cam, wasn't too enthused. The Veho has 20x natively which
fits nicely for 0603 and smaller parts. 0805 I can still do with 3x
glasses from the Dollar Store.

develop something.

Always did it that way. But you need some sort of rough spot where you
can gently wipe off the part. It sticks to one of the tips and you don't
really want to flick it. Be careful, you don't want a blistering hot
part falling onto your dog or into your socks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 12:55:35 -0700) it happened Joerg

teven like Apple,

Well, you are using Usenet...

This is what I mentioned to you in a previous reply, that site is nerve wracking.
Some time ago I had to order about 80 parts, and I had entered 70 or so,
and the f*cking site timed out (many tabs open, with 'add to shopping cart).

So I now have the part numbers in the spreadsheet and just order by part number..
If their price (final) is the same as mine I made no mistake.
But really if you phone them they are very helpful.

Absolutely.

the one you mean?

Nice, yes we are talking about the same one, for a moment I thought you ment
this:

ftp://panteltje.com/pub/screenshot_223.gif
(at 1:31)

everything gets too small.

I found out I can simply add glasses, so if I put on +2.5 on top off +1.5,
I can get a good close look :-)
Those are the cheap glasses from the drugstore.

develop something.

I do not have dog, I have damaged some good clothes with solder though.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
teven like Apple,

So are you. So we are both geezers :-)

wracking.
number..

Use Digikey, then all those problems go away.

the one you mean?
this:

That's also a nice gizmo but for that job a small drill press vise works
just fine. I like to keep the number of gizmos on my lab bench at a minimum.

everything gets too small.

Well, shazam! Just tried that and it works. Thanks!

develop something.

One guy on our multiplex truck in the army wore sandals one day back
home and soldered. Ball of molten solder rolled off the tip of the iron,
right between his toes ... phsssss ... OUCH

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

   I bet he was really phsssssed off~!  ;-)

enough left over to pay them.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

gets too small.

Nonsense. We have a lot of interns at work. If they show a real
interest in electronics we show them how easy it is to solder SMD. BGA
is out of the question, but downto 0603, 0.5mm QFP and QFN are no
problem once they get the hang of it.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 19:43:54 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks

gets too small.

Well, you are an impolite unexperienced idiot.
So, with that out of the way, this is not about kids the age of 'interns'.
I started at 4 to 6 years old to build things.
A book could be written how I got to the stuff, even as simple a thing as a
soldering iron.
Anybody who started at a later age probably is your level.

Yes, and where does the little kid get the right tools.
Stupid sigs same over and over again waste of bandwidth, just llike the Jimmy
Rebugblican commercials
in every posting.
Juk.

plonk

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

this 'hd' video it seems.
hxine in Linuxc:
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

If God had intended us to do electronics, He would have created us
with three hands.

John

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
this 'hd' video it seems.
hxine in Linuxc:
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts
state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

Good point! So we are all doing something rather sinful then?

Note to self: Must repent, must repent :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

The trailer triggered my mind to think about my trip to Malaysia a few
years ago. Todays electronics tinkerers are in Asia. And there are
lots of them and they are more eager to learn whatever they can than
students in a western society!

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
Visiting Thailand recently, it is common to see Thai Electronics mags in the
bookshops, with give-away electronics kits stapled to the cover, complete
with PCBs.

Just like in Oz 20 years ago

......... Zim

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

:Visiting Thailand recently, it is common to see Thai Electronics mags in the
:bookshops, with give-away electronics kits stapled to the cover, complete
:with PCBs.
:
:Just like in Oz 20 years ago
:
:

Er, try 40 years ago....

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

I do remember "Talking electronics" including a free PCB with some of
their early issues about 1981 or so.   Not the parts though.

Site Timeline