Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Karl Von Moller has finished the trailer for his awesome Australian
electronics industry documentary:
http://vimeo.com/15612312

I'll keep everyone informed when the full version is available.

Dave.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Excellent!

VK5JE

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

"David L. Jones"

** Looks bloody fantastic  -  wot a hoot!!

My old pal Doug Ford ( ex Jands Electronics and Rode mics) is in it too.

Be very pleased if anyone can supply his current email addy.

....   Phil

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Why don't you email Karl von Moller for the address?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

:
:"David L. Jones"
:>
:> Karl Von Moller has finished the trailer for his awesome Australian
:> electronics industry documentary:
:> http://vimeo.com/15612312
:
:
:** Looks bloody fantastic  -  wot a hoot!!
:
:My old pal Doug Ford ( ex Jands Electronics and Rode mics) is in it too.
:
:Be very pleased if anyone can supply his current email addy.
:
:
:
:....   Phil
:
:
:

It might even be as simple as
http://esvc000124.wic048u.server-web.com/about_us.html

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

"Ross Herbert"
 "Phil Allison"

** Thanks.

....  Phil

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

:Karl Von Moller has finished the trailer for his awesome Australian
:electronics industry documentary:
:http://vimeo.com/15612312
:
:I'll keep everyone informed when the full version is available.
:
:Dave.

Thanks for the update and the video link Dave. It is looking like it will be an
excellent doco if the trailer is anything to go by - can't wait.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Yes, I'm sure it will be brilliant, as Karl is a world class director
and filmmaker (and an electronics hobbyist to boot). It will become an
historically important doco, no doubt.

Karl has a 2 hour cut already done and is working on a shorter cut as
well, plus another name to add to the list.

BTW, none of us were told any of the questions beforehand, so all the
entirely sure of the direction of the doco when it was filmed, so it
will be interesting to see the finished product.

Dave.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Hopefully AWA is featured in there, as that has to be a complete rise
and fall story of Australian Electronics, not to mention some
electronics pioneers who worked there half a century ago.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

I had the impression that it was based around the "electronics magazines
of the 70/80's rather than industrial electronics.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

So it should be 'the state of hobby electronics in Australia' rather
than the 'electronics industry'?

Australia had a thriving electronics industry in the middle of last
century, we even had our own chip fab facility in the 80's and 90's.
Some seriously cool skunkworks activities went on as well.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

There is still a chip fab here in Sydney, it's changed hands a few times
now.

Dave.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

As I found out in the 90's. Would have been wonderful if someone had
mentioned this in the 70's.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

It looks like there might be some AWA stuff in it.
If anyone has any specific questions about the rise and fall of AWA they
want potentially included in the doco, please send them to me direct:
eevblog AT gmail DOT com

Thanks
Dave.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

There was an interview years ago in The Australian Newspaper with the
main culprit responsible for getting AWA in debt: He was employed by
AWA to make forex trades to try and boost their cash reserves. According
to his account of things, he was assigned a secretary to help mind the
phones/faxes etc. As an older person than he was, she basically called
him a snotty nosed brat and spent all day filing her nails and making
phone calls as he tried to track everything on post-it notes and it all
came undone. Of course my recollection may be faulty so the usual dis-
claimers apply.

Page 8-9 of this document has a summary:
http://www.mulss.com/sts-2009s2/corporations/Corporations%20Law%20-%20Tute%205.doc

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer
http://www.mulss.com/sts-2009s2/corporations/Corporations%20Law%20-%20Tute%205.doc

I rescued several large scrapbooks of AWA press clippings from many
decades that was kept up in the CEO's office and was skipped during the
great sell-off in the late 90's. Makes for an interesting historical read.

Japanese efficiency and mass production really tipped the scales away
from AWA's favour, since they had a lot invested in consumer electronics
in the 60's and 70's. Who didn't use an old AWA P1 black-and-white TV
modified as a computer monitor in the 70's?

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Yep, I was working at a merchant bank at the time and I knew about AWA
trades taking places.

The gossip was that they were making more money trading than from the
rest of the business.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

If I recall correctly He was....for a short while.

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

I'm sure many (including myself) will be happy to spend 2+ hours watching it, we
don't need shortcuts!

Tom

Re: Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

What a great idea, and looks really well done. Look forward to seeing
the full feature.

Site Timeline