Australian Electronics Industry Doco - Trailer

Karl Von Moller has finished the trailer for his awesome Australian electronics industry documentary:

I'll keep everyone informed when the full version is available.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Excellent!

VK5JE

Reply to
JD

"David L. Jones"

** Looks bloody fantastic - wot a hoot!!

My old pal Doug Ford ( ex Jands Electronics and Rode mics) is in it too.

Be very pleased if anyone can supply his current email addy.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:Karl Von Moller has finished the trailer for his awesome Australian :electronics industry documentary: :

: :I'll keep everyone informed when the full version is available. : :Dave.

Thanks for the update and the video link Dave. It is looking like it will be an excellent doco if the trailer is anything to go by - can't wait.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Ross Herbert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, I'm sure it will be brilliant, as Karl is a world class director and filmmaker (and an electronics hobbyist to boot). It will become an historically important doco, no doubt.

Karl has a 2 hour cut already done and is working on a shorter cut as well, plus another name to add to the list.

BTW, none of us were told any of the questions beforehand, so all the responses are off-the-cuff stuff. In fact we (and even Karl) weren't entirely sure of the direction of the doco when it was filmed, so it will be interesting to see the finished product.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

What a great idea, and looks really well done. Look forward to seeing the full feature.

Reply to
Swanny

Hopefully AWA is featured in there, as that has to be a complete rise and fall story of Australian Electronics, not to mention some electronics pioneers who worked there half a century ago.

Reply to
Swanny

On 7/10/2010 2:11 PM, David L. Jones wrote: ...

I'm sure many (including myself) will be happy to spend 2+ hours watching it, we don't need shortcuts!

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I had the impression that it was based around the "electronics magazines of the 70/80's rather than industrial electronics.

Reply to
terryc

Thanks for the link Dave, that's almost directly parallels the situation here in Scotland (and the rest of the UK).

Nial

Reply to
Nial Stewart

On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Oct 2010 01:44:41 GMT) it happened "David L. Jones" wrote in :

Nice video Dve. I had problems playing it in flashplayer 10.1 though. Now that seems to be an Adobe problem, no hardware acceleration'working for this 'hd' video it seems. So here is hwo to convert it to a lower bitrate forma ttha twil play wit hxine in Linuxc:

1) play the above url in flash, ignore any jerking picture and dropped sound, wait untill it is fully loaded. the video is then in /tmp/Flash.... 2) Convert the video to some other format with a recent version of ffmpeg, for example to .ts: ffmpeg -i FlashXXVbtpgb -f mpegts -r 25 -vb 4000000 -y state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts 3) play it in the normal way with ffplay: ffplay state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts or xine state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

I did chose ts format because it streams so nicely over the LAN.

-rw------- 1 root root 55262388 2010-10-07 14:01 FlashXXVbtpgb

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 108013332 2010-10-07 15:02 state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts As you see the .ts is longer, but the bitrate 4000 kb/s is lower, putting less strain on the hardware, it should play. Picture is still OK.

MS win[!]do[w]s user will have to buy bigger hardware, much bigger. Adobe sucks CPU cycles, I had a look at heir blog, and flashplayer 10.1 does not seem to work for many people.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So it should be 'the state of hobby electronics in Australia' rather than the 'electronics industry'?

Australia had a thriving electronics industry in the middle of last century, we even had our own chip fab facility in the 80's and 90's. Some seriously cool skunkworks activities went on as well.

Reply to
Swanny

Swanny wrote in news:JOero.1269$Bv4.77 @viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

It looks like there might be some AWA stuff in it. If anyone has any specific questions about the rise and fall of AWA they want potentially included in the doco, please send them to me direct: eevblog AT gmail DOT com

Thanks Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Swanny wrote in news:sUsro.1284$ snipped-for-privacy@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com:

There is still a chip fab here in Sydney, it's changed hands a few times now.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

There was an interview years ago in The Australian Newspaper with the main culprit responsible for getting AWA in debt: He was employed by AWA to make forex trades to try and boost their cash reserves. According to his account of things, he was assigned a secretary to help mind the phones/faxes etc. As an older person than he was, she basically called him a snotty nosed brat and spent all day filing her nails and making phone calls as he tried to track everything on post-it notes and it all came undone. Of course my recollection may be faulty so the usual dis- claimers apply.

Page 8-9 of this document has a summary:

Mark Harriss

I rescued several large scrapbooks of AWA press clippings from many decades that was kept up in the CEO's office and was skipped during the great sell-off in the late 90's. Makes for an interesting historical read.

Japanese efficiency and mass production really tipped the scales away from AWA's favour, since they had a lot invested in consumer electronics in the 60's and 70's. Who didn't use an old AWA P1 black-and-white TV modified as a computer monitor in the 70's?

Reply to
Swanny

As I found out in the 90's. Would have been wonderful if someone had mentioned this in the 70's.

Reply to
terryc

Yep, I was working at a merchant bank at the time and I knew about AWA trades taking places.

The gossip was that they were making more money trading than from the rest of the business.

Reply to
terryc

If I recall correctly He was....for a short while.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

this 'hd' video it seems.

in Linuxc:

state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

state_of_electronics_in_australia.ts

Why? Runs perfectly smooth on my Windows XP office computer. Oh, and I have a SPICE sim running in the background. Maybe your Linux boxen are the problem :-)

Anyhow, do you know where one can buy the "third hand" holding device at

0:24 min into this video clip, in Europe? Looks a lot sturdier than those flimsy single alligator clip with set screw things. A guy in Germany was asking for just that recently.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature