Aussie Mains Voltage

Hi All,

Heard the the Aussie Mains voltage is now down to 230V ac  "nominal".

Can some confirm?

Is there an Australian Government document or standard what refers to 230V
ac as the nominal standard?

Yes, I know the voltage varies aong the supply distribution lines..... I
more after an offiical  doc or confirmation.

Thnaks in Advance   Joe

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

Oh... sorry,  I fomd this on the 1st google search
http://bit.ly/YkR43

The Australian Govenment ACMA web site says  nominal 240Vac
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1988

Joe

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

AS 60038 is the standard you are after. Nominal voltage for Australia is
230/400 V +10% -6%.

In Sydney, Energy Australia network standards still spec 240V +/-6%
(226-254V) as a nominal ten minute average to 95% customers 95% of the
time, with allowable fluctuations of +/-10% (216-264V).

Currently my mains voltage (Sydney) is 257V as measured on my Fluke 175.

David

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

Yes, this was mentioned in the March Silicon Chip Mailbag.

Just measured mine. 241.0V to 242.6V over the span of several minutes, Hills
district Sydney.

Dave.

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

"David"

**  Currently  =   7:33 pm on a cool Friday evening.

 So THAT is  waaayyyy too high  !!!!!

 Your Fluke 175 is badly in need of re-calibration OR you are in a massive
HOT SPOT for AC voltage.

 Like Perth,WA  -  after midnight.

 Bulbs will blow.....

......    Phil

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

  That's the way it is in some areas.  I had only heard about it (and didn't
believe it) till I actually measured it at a friend's place.

  Scary.

  Though, if you're in suburban Somewhere, you're unlikely to see such
variations.  My UPS only rarely whines even if I have the voltage limits set
tight.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

The Fluke has just had NATA calibration, so is not out, and agrees with
other meters. Voltage here tonight at 20:40 is 255V. We pretty much
always have have hight mains voltages, and we aren't even close to the
transformer. Location: Sydney, Hills district.

David

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

Until about 1980 the standard voltage for WA was 254 Volts, then it was
changed to 240 volts, now it's 230 Volts. Of course there's still a lot
of supply transformers still set to the older voltages, plus there will
be variations due to loads and where you are on the grid.

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

Measured mine again (22:04):
237.9V to 240.9V over several minutes.
Hills District as well, Crestwood.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

"David"

**  That would only be known to you  -  dickhead.

.....    Phil

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

  Ahhahahahahaha! He's on to you David!

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

Phil needs no reason to be rude.

Graham

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

I am in Perth, about 200m from a mast top transformer.
I have the digital Western Power meter that shows the voltage (and current) of
each phase.
The voltage is always around 249V in daytime. Never checked at night.

Tony

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

257V?!?! Are you right next door to a sub-station?

  . | ,. w ,   "Some people are alive only because
Re: Aussie Mains Voltage
I thought the story was that in the early 1980s some committee came up
with a 20 year plan to change to a nominal 230V all over the country,
because 230V was more in line with international trading partners of
that time. Perhaps they needed a 40 year plan, or maybe the whole idea
was quietly forgotten at some point.

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

  Sensibly, they realised that the extended life of a 50c light bulb was
overshadowed by the decreased life of a $500+ refrigerator.

  Or, at least, until we get overtaken by "international standardised" 230v
gear to replace our "backyard defacto standard" 240v gear.

  I think that it's recent enough that everyone remembers how many people were
royally pissed off they had to replace their analogue phones with digital
phones (at the user's cost of course) to go down that route again.
  Yes, I understand the carriers had to upgrade too, but they're the ones
making the money remember?

  And you're still wondering why digital TV is slow on the uptake?
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

1) Cost, and
2) "Isn't this the same crap I've already seen"

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

Yes but the crap is much sharper and clearer and you get it in stereo.

Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

Right!. so that is what I don't understand
{:-).

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Aussie Mains Voltage

Pixelation/drop outs excepted.

The analog system has also been stereo for a couple of decades. I guess you
didn't notice.

MrT.

Site Timeline