aus.Re: DI 101?

America is fat. It's a national disgrace. They've gotten fatter since you last observed. I look around in disbelief. People look grotesque, compared to what I knew when I was younger. What are people doing to themselves? IMHO, it started with the "Big Mac" and got worse from there. I run about 25 miles a week, but I'm one of the few joggers left in my neighborhood. People give me the thumbs up like I'm some kind of hero.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

Yes. We have seen the pictures of Detroit:-)

Reply to
Iain Churches

Arny. Your direct, simplistic comparison of the

50 states (and 1 district) that make up the USA with the EU has confused you somewhat.

The 50 states in the US are populated by people of the same nation (excluding of course the 11 million illegal immigrants:-) They all have the same US passport.

The EU is comprised currently of 27 separate nations each with its own national identity, flag, parliament and passport. They are referred to in the Maastricht Agreement of 1992 as "sovereign nations". They now make up the largest economic sector in the world.

As a British citizen living overseas within the EU, I can, and do, vote in any of those 27 countries in which I have residence at a permanent address, for more than six moths in any year.

Iain

Reply to
Iain Churches

See

It's 25% for us Yanks, 26% for Oz. This is nothing to compete about. It's just sad for both our countries.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511

Reply to
Soundhaspriority

My killfile is getting full. I hope none of these people taking part in the OT subject is going to post anything about electronics, 'cos I'll not see it!

On the other hand, I've unkillfiled Phil 'cos he's had a lot of good stuff to impart recently...

Reply to
MoiInAust

I will type this in slowly so that you can understand, if you don't like the thread, ignore it. It is as simple as that.

Reply to
keithr

:-))

There is another alternative. "MoiInAust" could start a new thread to regenerate audio discussion.

We shall see.

Iain

Reply to
Iain Churches

Let me see, a webblog overloadedwith adds for "health products" quotes an institution that has existed for less then 8 monhs, but was formed to suck at the public purse over "the obesity scare". Highly reliable sources both of them.

So you have 29 for every 2 in Aus.

Wouldn't be at all surprised is the correct term is "overweight and obese". the difference trips up quiet a few "authorities" in their rush for the PR plug.

What seems to have broken out in the background is a battle to sign up research data between Baker(Vic) & sax(NSW).

Reply to
terryc

Correct, Dogs and Cats haven't got the vote yet.

Reply to
bassett

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Unlike the well regarded British Lager Lout, who expects a kebab shop.

Jim

Reply to
JimW52

And then there's the 'forgotten war' in Burma too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That is true of all useful software. It is not possible to provide general purpose software that exactly matches the requirements of every user so it must contain features that most people don't need.

Wow! Even Netscape advise you not to use it . They recommend Thunderbird and I believe that the next release has news filters that are comparable with their existing mail filters. If you insist on a combined Internet browser, mail reader and news reader perhaps you should try Sea Monkey . Of course, if you are using Windows 9x I congratulate you and you probably can't upgrade your news reader.

Reply to
David Segall

Bob's Buzzard News impersonator's nonsense. Ignore

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Gasoline dropped another ten cents a gallon since yesterday, for 50 cents in three weeks. It is now $3.57 a gallon, down from $4.07 per gallon.

What are you paying, per gallon? Or per liter, if you can't do the conversion?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You still don't get it. "Taxation without representation" was money taken here, and sent back to England. The taxes you pay while here pay for the services you use. Things like roads, police & fire services, and a thousand little things you never think about.

The money taken from the American Colonies did absolutely nothing for them. They just paid their tax bill and were to to go away, that they had nothing to say about England, or their mismanagement of the colonies.

How would you feel if tax collectors from the US kicked your door down where you live, in your country and told you to either pay the outrageous taxes they decided to levy or lose everything you own, and that the money was going to the US government, where you had no say in how it was used? Or that they were appointing their people to manage everything you did?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I was stationed in both Alabama & Alaska in the '70s. I live in North Central FLorida, were T.S. Fay has been parked for days. The winds took out my electricity for a little under 20 hours. yet it only reached 77 F and 59% humidity with the house closed up.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well of course they do. It's their current product.

I have. I didn't like the subtle changes in look and feel. Functionally it seems identical.

I'm not

Thank you for your wonderful 'advice'. I shall continue with 4.8

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Which kind of gallon ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

At the time, to the British at least, the US colonies were part of Britain and therefore liable to whatever taxes the parlament imposed. Do you worry that your federal government takes your taxes and spends them in a different state? It is the same thing really. Police and fire services AFAIK are paid for out of town and state taxes not federal income tax.

Of course, then there is the 6 years of maximum social security tax that I have not had any benefit from and never will, you should be thanking me for helping to pay for your old age.

A lot of Australia's wealth used to be exported to the UK by means other than taxes, just the same as the US imports the wealth of less fortunate countries through the holdings of US corporations. The US has even imposed dictators on countries that had the temerity to object, just ask the citizens of Chile about it.

Reply to
Keithr

A lot of them left England to get away from the people who were still putting buffoons into governors offices to control their lives.

England was an ocean away. Other states can be driven to, and I have lived in five states over the last 50 years. Those taxes also pay for highways, and other benefits, no matter where you live in the US.

I've paid a hell of a lot more than you did. Yours was likely been given to some illegal alien, so "Gee thanks".

Yawn. England did the same thing here to export raw materials, then transported slaves they bought in Africa for the plantations they bought cotton from, and left us with the mess they created. If you don't believe those 'Governors' appointed by the 'royals' weren't dictators, you're full of it.