aus.Re: DI 101? - Page 6

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Interesting.

So this 47% illiteracy rate in the US is not a new thing then?
Even the Founding Fathers could not understand English:-)

Iain

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Whose literature ?

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Obviously, there was very little British literature that was critical of the
crown, given that there was no relevant freedom of speech in Britain at the
time. Umm, we hadn't invented it yet... ;-)

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

More proof of the arrogance and ignorance issue.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

You need a better news reader! I use Forte Agent
<http://www.forteinc.com/ which provides kill options to mark the
post as read, delete the post or delete the post and all follow ups.
It also enables you to delete a sub-thread so you can ignore the
exchange between two posters having an off-topic argument in a thread
that you are interested in. It costs $US30.00 but I have been told
that the free Xnews <http://xnews.newsguy.com/ has similar features.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Forte Agent is a very powerful tool but way more than most people need.

I use Netscape 4.8 and you might be surpised to see how many other people do
too. Does what it says on the box as they say. And FREE from their archives.

Should you need a killfile a free add-on is available too but I forget its
name. Google should know.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

That is true of all useful software. It is not possible to provide
general purpose software that exactly matches the requirements of
every user so it must contain features that most people don't need.
Wow! Even Netscape advise you not to use it
<http://browser.netscape.com/ . They recommend Thunderbird and I
believe that the next release has news filters that are comparable
with their existing mail filters. If you insist on a combined Internet
browser, mail reader and news reader perhaps you should try Sea Monkey
<http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ . Of course, if you are using
Windows 9x I congratulate you and you probably can't upgrade your news
reader.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Well of course they do. It's their current product.

I have. I didn't like the subtle changes in look and feel. Functionally it seems
identical.

I'm not

Thank you for your wonderful 'advice'. I shall continue with 4.8

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

I dare say someone's already answered in detail but it can be found under
properties IIRC with the message selected. In Netscape it's simply
view>headers>all

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Thinks GWB and Tony Blair (not President but he behaved like one).

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Uh ? Been there, done it centuries before. Very smartly too, based almost
entirely
on trade rather than military force.

For a little longer maybe.

I couldn't agree more. It's sad to see how quite intelligent people can fail to
have a good grasp of world history.

How about going back to the days of Carthage, Troy and Rome ?

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

the
entirely
power.
fail to

The operative word in blind patriotism is blind.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Not sure what you mean there. The government in power here invariably claims the
BBC is biased against it. Sounds good to me.

As for charters, the BBC has (had?) one under Reith (an early Director General).
To educate, inform and entertain.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Netscape 4.8 is almost perfect for the job (at least for text groups with unsplit
posts).

Simple, does the job. No silly graphics. Available from their archive site.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

You need to educate yourself. The Irish (Republic of) can vote in UK elections
for one and have been able to do so since time immemorial. Also I think now can
any resident EU citizens.

Graham

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

The one exception does not disprove the rule.

Good that the EU has finally figured out what we've had in the US for just a
few hundred years.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

This differs between elections on city and county level and on country
level.

The EU is not currently a union state. There are people who want to make it
one and people who do not.

  Kind regards

  Peter Larsen

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Correct,   Dogs and Cats haven't got the vote yet.

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Arny.  Your direct, simplistic comparison of the
50 states (and 1 district) that make up the USA
with the EU has confused you somewhat.

The 50 states in the US are populated by people
of the same nation (excluding of course the 11
million illegal immigrants:-) They all have the
same US passport.

The EU is comprised currently of 27 separate
nations each with its own national identity, flag,
parliament and passport.  They are referred to
in the Maastricht Agreement of 1992 as
"sovereign nations".  They now make up the
largest economic sector in the world.

As a British citizen living overseas within the EU,
I can, and do, vote in any of those 27 countries
in which I have residence at a permanent address,
for more than six moths in any year.

Iain

Re: aus.Re: DI 101?

Some years ago I was was on the 'tube' in London. There were some obviously
American tourists nearby. I was hoping 'please don't say anything crappy' but on
the way out of the station both wives complained about having to walk up steps
instead of there being an escalator. All of about 15 feet rise I'd say.

Both looked like you could power your car for several hundred miles if their
spare fat were turned into motor fuel.

Graham

Site Timeline