Audiophool product of the week - Page 7

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:30:37 +0000, Martin Brown

---
Can you cite which "suitably flighty" amplifiers and supply some
supporting documentation?
---

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On a sunny day (Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:30:37 +0000) it happened Martin Brown

It think for that price you can put an amplifier locally next to each speaker,
and use a normal 600 Ohm audio cable correctly terminated, or optical.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:30:37 +0000, Martin Brown

  From what I could tell...

 He wants an example of an unstable combination that was mentioned.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Amps that used to go unstable with Quad ESL-57's will probably not work
with that strange cable as an interconnect to any speaker unless some
effort is made at the far end to terminate it to snub RF oscillations.
A list online at:

http://www.quadesl.org/Amplifiers/AmpList/amplist.html

BGW series 200 was notorious for burning out Quad treble units so that
would be a good one to try if you actually wanted to demonstrate it. And
the more common, cheap and otherwise decent small amplifier like Rotels
RA820 might be a good candidate against that sort of capacitive load.

And here is one company Spectral/MIT that still gleefully admits to
designing wideband amplifiers that are borderline stable and require
their vastly overpriced MH Ultralinear Speaker Cable to work at all:

http://www.spectralaudio.com/9501.htm

Yup. A set of 10' cables for a mere 1250. Good value? I think not. YMMV

I don't really see the point of deliberately provoking a power amplifier
to blow fuses or still worse damage the tweeter on expensive kit.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 15:58:49 -0500, Jamie =

Just what is the part number of this miracle capacitance cable?  I may =
want20%
to use it for high energy density capacitors.  Or maybe crossovers.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

A comparison of two point versus four point barbed wire for speaker
interconnects appears at http://www.tinaja.com/glib/marcia.pdf

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
Re: Audiophool product of the week

 Somehow, I have a hard time believing that the sum of your parts are
equal to a number that is greater than the whole.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

"Godzilla versus the Night Nurses" had to be pulled from distribution
because of the restraining order from the Tapioca Pudding Institute. it
instead went directly to 8-track and became an instant classic.

More at

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
Re: Audiophool product of the week

Thanks for the laughs the second tome around!  I first read this shortly
after you published it...about eight years ago now!  Some things never
change!

--
Virg Wall, P.E.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

You've got to hand it to them: As far as I can tell, this doesn't
connect to anything, nor does it have a power source (maybe I missed
something?).

If so, no compliance testing (FCC, UL, etc.) needs to be done. No false
claims will be made (to anyone in an official capacity) of performance.

On a related note: My auto sig generator pulled this one up on its own.
Coincidence? I think not.

--
Paul Hovnanian     mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com
Re: Audiophool product of the week

My first thought on reading this is that i could make a plastic box
that does nothing and print up a fancy brochure, sell it for $500, and
drive this product off the market.

The I realized that cheap doesn't work in  this market.  Therefore I
plan to sell it for $2000 each and drive their product off the market.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Sounds like a good idea, except they probably have a patent for it.

--
- Mike

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 01:48:30 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Warren"

  For Price Doubling? That one is mine!  You both owe me for even
discussing it.  :-)

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Jan 4, 5:48A0%pm, "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-...@or-this-

My will do nothing differently than theirs.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

I don't know, they are marketing it very well by showing a Feynman video and
James Bond, and they have plenty of funky graphics and luscious photos.
You'll have to up the game a bit.
http://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id60 %

and you'll have to get similar "press" coverage:
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/fringes/fringes.html

Dave.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Some good examples here in an AES presentation about Audio Myths:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Site Timeline