Audiophool product of the week - Page 5

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:58:32 -0800, Archimedes' Lever

Figures you'd be so stupid you'd have to go "hunting" for the ridges.
Zip cord is *cheap* and looks like the lamps cord.

You're batting average is still 0, AlwaysWrong.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

And do you use low C speakers too?
I'm wondering just how low you think the cable capacitance needs to be for a
typical 8 ohm, or less, speaker system?
Easy enough to measure the signal at the speaker terminals in any case to
prove if there really is a problem.

MrT.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

  LOWER C than a parallel or twisted pair.  Also a lower L.

  Never said that there was a problem.  Note where one of the main
features I liked about them is their flat construction.

  "Low C speakers"?  WAKE UP!

Re: Audiophool product of the week

So no crossovers then?

Exactly my point!

MrT.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Pointless for ESLs I suppose...

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On a sunny day (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 10:47:52 -0500) it happened Jamie

Are you kiddng us? 10 feet is about 3 meters:-)

Well, let's see, 3 meter at 1000 pF / meter makes 3 nF.

????????????
Maybe  bad designed output stage could have problems,
most have a RC filter with a lot more C parallel to the output though.

hehe

No hope for perfect audio, ever LOL.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 17:15:32 GMT, Jan Panteltje

30 pF per meter is more realistic.

If the cable Zo is higher than the load impedance, the usual case,
longer cables add L faster than they add C.

John

Re: Audiophool product of the week

The ployrad cable I was talking about has ~ 0.08 uf/ft

250' of that was used in a test.

At 5 khz, that is ~ Xc of 1.6.

The amp that was in use, rated at 100 watts RMS @ 8 ohms..

Checking the figures, I think it can be seen where the problem
is..

Speaker wire on the other hand, uses material that does not
exhibit this high C/ft., not just for the material but the physical
construction of twin lead reduces the effect.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On a sunny day (Sun, 03 Jan 2010 15:58:49 -0500) it happened Jamie

OK, so that is extreme capacitance.
I just use power mains leads for the speakers...
Less then 1000 pF / meter I am sure.
I think I have never seen a cable of 80 nF / foot :-)

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Yep, who uses 250' speaker cables?

MrT.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

When you need to run some wire from pole to pole in a recreation area
that has a baseball field in it.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:38:19 -0500, Jamie

  Pipe the signal and use an in speaker amplification paradigm.

  Distortion? Use  an HF carrier to put it onto.  Strip out the
undistorted original signal at the destination, then amplify it local to
the speaker itself.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

You use a 70V/100V distribution system. I guess you don't know that!

MrT

Re: Audiophool product of the week

  Yeah...  nobody needs 'hi-fi' bandwidth for a friggin public address
system. Transformer coupled is fine.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Who said it was a public address system?

  When the system is in use (event taking place), speakers are brought
out of storage and set up near the connects at each pole.

   Each unit houses an 18" woofer with midrange and added tweeter horns
on top.

   Another fine example of people talking out of their hats!

Re: Audiophool product of the week

Seems you are the expert there at least!

MrT.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

You are correct about that. I picked up on you, real fast.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:24:43 -0500, Jamie

  Well, then I would pipe POWER to each location, and send the signal
digitally and digitally cross it over to a tri amp set-up pumping the 18"
with about 1500W and the rest according to their capacities on the other
two amps.

 At each station.

  Sound better, from my hat now?

Re: Audiophool product of the week

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:24:43 -0500) it happened Jamie

Na, it uses tobes, is no good.

Re: Audiophool product of the week

tobes?
  you mean tubes?

  The internal public address system uses tubes. The outdoor event
equipment is solid state, of course.

Site Timeline