Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement

56 hours for this?

Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement
http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo24%730&tpInd=Y

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement

http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo24%730&tpInd=Y

I expect the 56 hours is for whole electrical theory and practice leading up
to the qualification that allows certification for the stated purpose.  Not
56 hours of purely learning to attach the leads (and test them).

geoff

Re: Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement

put finger to keyboard and composed:

http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo24%730&tpInd=Y

After trawling through the TAFE web site, I'm still no clearer as to
what qualification, if any, a student will attain.

"This is a non-training package course which does NOT gain a
nationally recognised competency and is NOT recognised by the Office
of Fair Trading for licensing purposes.

Persons who have a relevant associated trade qualification should do
Course 431."

This is the outline for Course 431 (duration = 56 hours):
http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo43%1&tpInd=Y

This is the connect "flexible cords and plugs to 250V" module (8
hours):
http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetUnitDetails&UnitCode43%1C

AFAICS, if the "240V plugs" module can be knocked over in 8 hours,
then the remaining 48 hours would be much more substantial. If
anything, the student should be given accreditation/recognition for
the latter component(s).

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement

Would seem pretty pointless them, unless designed for factory workers (etc)
whose work will be certified by somebody with the real ticket.

geeoff

Re: Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement

A friend of mine manufactured mains powered mechanical equipment.
At the time the electrical inspector told him he needed no
qualifications for the device as he was a "manufacturer", it seems
there was a loophole to allow "manufacturers" to use unskilled
labour on a correctly engineered electrical design.

I don't know if it still applies though, also I once knew a girl
with no electrical ticket wiring up bathroom ventilator fan/lights
in the Sydney factory, around 1992 or so.

Re: Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement

http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo43%1&tpInd=Y
http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetUnitDetails&UnitCode43%1C

There aren't any nationally recoginised standards, ask anyone who's done
an apprenticeship what the standards are for training and he won't be
able to tell you. There are no portable rating systems for trades
despite the efforts to get something working.

Re: Attach Cords/Plugs to 240v Electrical Tools - TAFE PLUS Statement

Jeeze that's easy. Over here in Kiwi if you want to wire a 3 pin plug for
recompense you need to have the relevant limited electrical certification.

geoff

Site Timeline