Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case
03 March, 2011 03:36

In the quest to cut down on shipping waste Taiwan's Asus has a novel idea: What
if the shipping container became the PC
case?

That's the idea behind a box the company will begin using from June to ship one
of its Mini ATX motherboards. It holds
the motherboard snug for shipping and is constructed so additional components
required to make a PC can be added, said
Debby Lee, a spokeswoman for the Taipei-based company.

An example of the box is on show at this week's Cebit trade show in Hanover,
Germany.

There are punch-out holes for ventilation and a real panel that houses the PC's
connectors and interfaces.

Full Story:
http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/378486/asus_motherboard_box_doubles_pc_case /

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4spLDtzkgk

Cheers Don...

===============

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

Henry Ford required that some component that he bought in for the model T be
packed in a wooden box made of suitable quality timber with suitable holes
drilled in its planks so that it became the car's floorboards.
Or so folklore has it.

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

As a teenager, I owned a T model I was going to rebuild but never finished it,
and a friend of mine just sold one he
had, only a couple of years back. He had it for maybe 40+ years.

I always recall that floor board story even way back then, and also the one
about "You can have any colour as long as it
is black", which I believe was true.

So I did a quick google, and came up with this interesting page with some photos:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/79903.html?1233059301
and plenty of mentions of the floor boards.

Cheers Don...

===========

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case
**What the fuck is wrong with these people? Reminds me of that Japanese
restaurant (in Tokyo) that promoted itself as environmentally sensitive.
They served meals on disposable paper plates. Fuck me. Same deal with this
stupidity. My PC is a 3 year old Dore 2 Duo. A cardboard case would not have
lasted the distance, so I would have had to replace the damned thing anyway.
When I do replace it, I'll probably install a new M/B into the case, since
it's steel and will last quite a long time. Sheesh!

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

Henry's T Model floor boards have lasted 100+ years.
I agree, this case wouldn't last 100+ days I wouldn't think, and that's if you
were very careful with it.
Can you imagine kids around it?

Perhaps it is just to get some cheap ASUS press coverage, which it is probably
doing.

Cheers Don...

=========================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

There i anotherone a bit smaller using a great little mobo  Gigabyte
H55n-USB3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxur5b85MrA

Admittedly this wasnt the design of Gigabyte but an end user.

Mik

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

another video linked from that page does a very good review of that MB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3J64sRNFY&NR=1

He talks fast, but seems to know his stuff.

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

if the shipping container became the PC
of its Mini ATX motherboards. It holds
required to make a PC can be added, said
Germany.
connectors and interfaces.

I can only image the emissions from a PC in a cardboard box! Pretty
stupid.

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

Fire risk ?  Especially with the heat that many CPU's give off, not to
mention everything else that runs hot in there.

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

Just had a look at that second video, this is a Mini ITX board, they
don't give off as much heat, but I would still take care to have good
ventilation.

I have a AT5nm10-I which is similar to the one shown, and am looking
at using it in the office, to cut down on power and heat.  Not a bad
price either at about $120 including a factory installed processor and
heatsink.

While OT, A couple of observations on this board (XP Pro SP3)

-Even with 2 case fans in a midi desktop case, the CPU temperature
seems to always sit around 45-50c
-If you disconnect the VGA cable by accident while the PC is running,
you will only get a blank screen when you reconnect it. Only a reboot
brings back the pic.
-There is no IDE header or floppy header.
-only 2 SATA headers, so forget about dual HDD if you are going to use
a DVD rom.
You will need USB drives, which work fine under Win XP,  but these are
not recognized by the BART PE program in this MB.
-Has one PCI slot.
-This board does NOT like having the power turned off at the wall
without being shut down in windows first. This will result in you
having to boot in safe mode and do a system restore to before you did
this ;). There might be ways to prevent this happening, but haven't
looked hard yet.

-Other interesting features is a video option that allows you to
rotate/invert the picture to a vertical (portrait) position rather
than the usual landscape position. Windows looks very unusual like
this, but this feature is probably used for applications like those
advertising screens in some shopping centres that comprise of a Plasma
screen positioned in a portrait aspect.

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case
month:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.htmlhttp://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

**Semiconductors are not a fire risk, unless they fail. Silicon stops
working at 200oC. Well below ignition temperature of cardboard. By more
concerned with resistor failures. They can easily exceed ignition temps of
cardboard.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case
On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 07:18:01 +1100 "Trevor Wilson"

Tantalum caps as well.

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case

**Indeed. I should have included them. I repaired a device just last week,
where the solid tantalum cap smoked itself and the surrounding PCB. Big mess
for such a tiny (surface mount) component.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Asus motherboard box doubles as a PC case
On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 07:45:26 +1100 "Trevor Wilson"

And one other thing I forgot. It's fairly rare, but ceramic caps can also
short and set fire to the PCB. This weekend I just repaired an Agilent
E3632A power supply where this happened to a .33uF ceramic at the input to
an LM337T voltage regulator. Luckily the damage wasn't too bad, but I've
seen them burn holes clean through a board.

Site Timeline