Asus 1000HG 3G Wireless Broadband Netbook $399

I know this will be the third time I have mentioned this type of netebook and catch of the day.

No, I don't work for them.

Now they offer one with an with unlocked 3G modem built in.

Asus 1000HG 3G Wireless Broadband Netbook $399

# Asus 1000HG 3G Broadband Netbook # Includes 3G modem (Huawei EM770V HSPA 2100MHZ supported).

  • Completely unlocked, use it with your network of choice * Ready for prepaid connections * Comes with 2GB of prepaid data FREE (DODO prepaid simcard, no contract needed) * Much more convenient and cost effective than an expensive 24 month contract and cumbersome external dongle

Well, if you consider the modem worth $100, then the netbook is $299.

If you are like me, you have too many of these netbooks now, that buying this one simply doesn't make sense.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

The modem is only worth a $100 to you, not to ASUS. it's probably only worth ~$20 bucks to ASUS, as it's just a small Board. In fact, I won't be surprised if entire PC is made for less than $150. Made entirely in china and in volume, it will cheap to make. And inside they are much simpler than std Laps, less screws, less fiddly bits. The biggest costs are in the handling, shipping and retailers. Everybody wants a piece of the action, including the Government.

Reply to
son of a bitch

I could possibly agree with all of that except the $150 Possibly closer to $50 to $75 ex china, then throw micro$oft $25-$40 for XP.

But it is still dirt cheap compared to anything else on the market in the way of netbooks.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Seen the MSI version, a bit bigger. Problem with this one, when you tilt the display all the way back, it falls over backwards.

Reply to
son of a bitch

yes, it was a problem right from the start, it wasn't a lap-able laptop. Many reviewers mentioned this when it was released.

the 1000Hx's are very nifty indeed.

You can drive a 22" monitor with them, plug in a USB mouse and Keyboard, if you don't like the existing setup (I hate that pad thing), and it looks and feels like a standard PC.

Well, a little short on grunt, but I wonder what an SSD would be like in place of the standard hard drive. A little expensive to try at the moment.

1 to 2 years, and that will change, but so will netbooks :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If your asking are SSD worth it, I would have to say Nooo

Cost 4-5 times more, but do not deliver 4-5 times faster performance. They are only marginally faster than the fastest SATA, less than 5% faster.

They are lighter, and use almost as much power as a standard drive.

Reply to
son of a bitch

I find the pad OK, but the buttons are too small and require too much pressure.

I wouldn't want to run Photoshop on it, but Visual Studio doesn't run too bad (an extra gig of RAM helps)

Reply to
keithr