Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

Is there available anywhere a simple converter that can be given an
analog composite or s-video signal and convert the aspect ratio between
4:3 and 16:9 as necessary?

Re: Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

Bill, maybe if you describe in detail what is happening or what you want to
do with what would help.
For instance - present equipment you are using, is the source from tape or
dvd or a file?

Re: Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

Basically the output of a Panasonic WJMX12 video mixer to a several
display devices including 2 projectors and several small TV's.

The mixer isn't capable with dealing with different aspect ratios.

Re: Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

Only device I've seen in that category would be the Picolink. About the
size of a fat pen, will arc 16:9->4:3 or viceversa, works with NTSC,
PAL or SECAM.

I think they're handled by magnasys in Australia, somewhere around $500.

Re: Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

That's rather rough considering a DVD player and set top box can do it
so easily.

Re: Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

Bill I am still not sure what this application is for so I'm guessing it is
some sort of Sales promotion screening or educational screening etc? If it
is would it be practical to pre-assemble the material in your computer where
it would be a lot easier (cheaper) to come up with a uniform aspect ratio?

Re: Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

Not really. An ARC has to convert the video signal to data, process it,
then produce a video signal again, where DVDs and STBs already only
have to deal with a data stream.
Also, An ARC  (especially one used for monitor feeds) has to do this in
as short a time as possible, so as to minimise audio delays etc.,
whereas the DVD can delay audio to synchronise with vision.

Re: Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

or
analog

The mixer will deal with any aspect ratio. What you feed in is what you will
feed out. The WJMX50 will compress the image sideways to give you the
correct aspect except for black bars down the sides. I really can't
understand what you are trying to achieve and the more posts I read, the
more confusing this is becoming.

DAVO

Site Timeline