Aspect Ratio Converter (ARC)

Is there available anywhere a simple converter that can be given an analog composite or s-video signal and convert the aspect ratio between

4:3 and 16:9 as necessary?
Reply to
bill

Bill, maybe if you describe in detail what is happening or what you want to do with what would help. For instance - present equipment you are using, is the source from tape or dvd or a file?

Reply to
Netmask

Basically the output of a Panasonic WJMX12 video mixer to a several display devices including 2 projectors and several small TV's.

The mixer isn't capable with dealing with different aspect ratios.

Reply to
bill

Only device I've seen in that category would be the Picolink. About the size of a fat pen, will arc 16:9->4:3 or viceversa, works with NTSC, PAL or SECAM.

I think they're handled by magnasys in Australia, somewhere around $500.

Reply to
kromatic

That's rather rough considering a DVD player and set top box can do it so easily.

Reply to
bill

Reply to
Netmask

Not really. An ARC has to convert the video signal to data, process it, then produce a video signal again, where DVDs and STBs already only have to deal with a data stream. Also, An ARC (especially one used for monitor feeds) has to do this in as short a time as possible, so as to minimise audio delays etc., whereas the DVD can delay audio to synchronise with vision.

Reply to
kromatic

or

analog

The mixer will deal with any aspect ratio. What you feed in is what you will feed out. The WJMX50 will compress the image sideways to give you the correct aspect except for black bars down the sides. I really can't understand what you are trying to achieve and the more posts I read, the more confusing this is becoming.

DAVO

Reply to
DAVO