As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

Primarily of interest to Australian Ebayers:
http://pages.ebay.com.au/useprotection/changes.html
But what's the bet we are the trial, and other countries will follow.

Dave.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough
On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:37:56 +1000, "David L. Jones"

Simon says, "At Ebay we aim to please... please bend over" ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

I think the "Why is eBay making these changes?" section is largely
disingenious.  They have some valid points, but they leave out what I believe
is their largest motivator: eBay makes money from all PayPal transactions, so
making it the only way to pay (other than with cash), eBay makes *more* money.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough
ell given that Ebay owns Paypal, it's kind of obvious that they were going to do
this to channel all the funds through their e-bank.
It's not just for the commissions, it's also a drive to increase the number of
account holders.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

Have you ever tried talking to paypal about a dispute, let alone any
other subject?

The canned text returned answers, usually don't match the questions you
ask. Then they have the front to regularly ask for user feed back.

And I'm a daily PayPal user. :-)

I agree, we are the guinea pig!

It's a little like Micro$oft buying out Apple. Boy, what a dilemma for
customers.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Affiliate Program:   http://www.dontronics.com/affiliate
Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

Consider too that Ebay also owns Skype.

They had a little buying binge a couple years ago now they have to
justify it all so you're seeing the money grab.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

In sorting out my papers for tax day, I realized that I now have a
PayPal credit card.  I don't recall ever asking for one.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

I can top that.  A friend who uses PayPal a lot was a victim of a scam
that emptied out her PayPal account as well as taking even more cash
out of her credit card through the PayPal account.  She did find out
about it and reported it to the credit card company (and I suppose
PayPal).  But the scammers were pretty bright and realized that often
people were not sharp enough to know the difference between PayPal and
them.  So they sent her a request (apparently from PayPal) to fill out
an *affidavit* saying that the charge was ligit and all of the moneys
should be given *back* to the scammers.  She didn't catch the jist of
the affidavit and was going to fax it out.  When she had trouble with
faxing from my computer, I got in the loop and asked what this was all
about.  After finding out what was going on, I clued her into the fact
that this was again the scammers and not PayPal.

Contacting PayPal about this second level of scam got very little
response.  Again I got in the loop and started talking to the people
at PayPal so see what they were doing about prosecuting this
activity.  The first person I spoke with told me I had the wrong
department and needed to speak with someone at a different number.
That person gave me yet a different number and so on..., until I ended
up back with the *first* person under a different title!  She now
admitted that she was the right person to speak with about fraud in
the first place!!!

The bottom line was that they had ***NO*** interest in reporting this
criminal activity to the police.  The way PayPal works they almost
*always* get their money back or the victims get no money back.
Either way it costs PayPal nothing.  As far as PayPal seems to be
concerned, reporting criminal activity on PayPal only serves to create
negative impressions about PayPal.  So clearly they are not motivated
to help victims other than getting the funds back if they are still
available.  If the funds had been transferred and their bank account
had been emptied out, I am sure that my friend would not have gotten a
cent back!

To me, the bottom line is that PayPal has a disincentive to publicize
any criminal activity on their service.  So you can't believe any data
they give you showing that their service protects you.

All that said, I would never buy anything on eBay without using a
credit card.  PayPal being in the middle does not bother me too much,
but I want to say it doesn't cost the seller anything.  But others
have told me different, that they have to pay something like 2% no
matter what.  I thought you could get the funds transferred into your
bank account for free.  No?

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

the big problem is , if you have a dispute with your cash, then your  faced
with  a nice  "curry muncher'' in Mumbai, or countless electronic  e-mails
giving you the run round.  And in both cases you end up with bugger all.

the safe way  to work with pay-pal is defiantly  NOT  a credit card
registration,  BUT a DEBIT  card registration.  I've run one now for about
18 months, and  everything works fine.  There's only a  few  hundred in the
debit account [Visa]   So if things  go pear shaped, that's all they get.
And if you know it's gone wrong, simply access the account and transfer
money out of the account electronically, before things  really get out of
hand.  And  by the same token, If you spend a considerable amount , simply
transfer  that amount into the account,  just before  you   click,  "pay
now"
   Plus the fact that these debit accounts  cost nothing,  No bank  charges,
no fee's. etc.

The alternative to e-bay will be  http;//www.Oztion.com.au   It's only small
at the moment, but more and more sellers are transferring over, and once you
get through the registration process, it  works  the same as  fleabay,
except  there's no pay-pay  system.

The big problem  for people living in the bush, is distance, pay-pal's easy
as far  as the buyer is concerned,  direct deposit means a 100k round  trip
to town,  which makes a $20  purchase expensive, both in time and money.

                   bassett

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

I live in a big town (Brisbane) but my bank is Adelaide Bank - they have no
presence in QLD. I've been banking with them for over 12 years and they are the
only bank I have account with. In that time I never had need to drive to their
branch, I do BPay for most of my bills, I transfer money from my account into
peoples accounts in other banks (plenty of times to Ebay sellers) using my
computer and internet banking. Before internet I used telephone.

If you have Ebay then you don't need to drive to the bank, you can do your
banking online.

Tom

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

With a "personal" paypal account, there is no fee for sellers receiving payment
except from a credit card sourcewhere it is 3.4% + $0.30 per transaction.  A
merchant account doesn't see those  fess, but get to pay a monthly fee instead.
I'm sure DonMc has one of those, so he would know what the recurrent cost is.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

Not yet, but I had a letter from the Bendigo Bank saying they were
going to charge me $3.00 per month for my Visa debit card starting in
May.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

My idea exactly. I don't trust Paypal at all. There must a reason why
they have their European banking activities in Luxembourg.

Over here Paypal is pushing hard to make direct withdrawels from
people's bank account (they finally realized the Dutch don't like
credit-cards). Luckely I still know a trick around that so I can push
money from my back account into my Paypal account.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

Gday Fellas,

Personally I like the concept of EBAY and PAYPAL is good too but being
forced to use PP sucks big time... If I want to have PP `protection' it
is MY choice.. If I chose to pay via bank transfer without PP protection
that too is my choice..

I once made a claim on PP for a $51 (plus $10 postage) 2 Gig USB stick
that was cheap at the time (2 years or so ago) I did the right things
and bought off a seller that had 1,000s of +ve ratings etc and few negs..

I gave him a +ve rating too as it appeared to be fine... till I found
out it was really a 256meg FAKE stick that reported to be 2 Gig.  I
contacted PP and they said that I had a right to a claim and I had to
return it to the seller in a `track-able' manner.. now they wont refund
postage so I get $51 ok... but they would have deducted $25 for costs so
I get $26 then ... I didnt find out what it would cost me to send a
`trackable' parcel to HK but I guess $20 so I would have got back $6
from my initial $61 I paid.. so I decided that I would keep my 256meg
(`2 gig') stick instead of a $6 refund..

Basically PP was worthless to me...  maybe on a $10,000 item they may be
ok to consider but not for cheaper items

Regards,

Mik

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

But now you can be 'confident' that eBay will screw you and line their pockets
in the process.

Ok, so any bets what phenomen that will screw eBay in the long run ..?
Price hike doesn't seem like a lasting strategy.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

sellers will simply leave E-bay on mass,  buyers will then also be forced to
also go to  Oztion, if they wish to continue buying

for the seller , pay-pal  has a lot of advantages,  for one  people in the
bush,  won't have long drives  to find a bank  to pay direct deposit.  For
me, it's a 120 k round trip to town,  and that makes a $20 purchase
expensive.

But  for those  that stay  with e-bay, increased  costs will simply be
passed on with increased "Buy Now" prices  and increased postal charges.
And who can blame them

              bassett

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

Hopefully that's exactly what will happen.

Sooner or later eBay is going to really start screwing both buyers and
sellers to the point that there will be another auction startup on the
scene - by that I mean a decent one, with good backing behind it.

So in a way, perhaps the sooner eBay starts really screwing their
customers, the better.

It is never good when you have something like eBay who has no real
competition.

It is a pity that Sold.com.au went down the gurgler, because it wasn't
all that bad really.

--
http://fun.drno.de/pics/english/rooftops.jpg

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough

:Primarily of interest to Australian Ebayers:
:http://pages.ebay.com.au/useprotection/changes.html
:But what's the bet we are the trial, and other countries will follow.
:
:Dave.
:

It is to be hoped that the ACCC will put the kybosh on these new Ebay
proposalas. My main objection is that after 17 June EBay sellers will no longer
be able to offer payment by direct bank deposit - at least not as part of items
offered for sale. However, there is no way that Ebay can stop anyone from paying
for items by direct bank deposit via other on-line methods permitted by their
banking organisation. They are only going to shoot themselves in the foot on
this one.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough
paying

I will be simply charging a $10 (or whatever is suitable based on the
approximate value) handling fee (to cover these losses) on top.  The
fee will be waived for cash/pickup.

(please note that any postage/handling component of the sale paid
through Paypal will also incur the Paypal fee.)

Maybe then offering a "pick up service" (payment by bank account but
worded so as not to break the rules) to those that dont live locally.

However, there might not be that many selling things though after this
starts to bite people, this will begin a downward self-feeding spiral
of "less on offer, less people look, less people buy less buyers even
less sellers (start again at beginning)" situation. With the slow
reduction of spending in the general economy at present due to rising
interest rates, massive size mortgage debts compared to the past, this
all is only going to make it worse for Ebay.
(and evernone else)

When selling, I want nothing to do with paypal. I don't believe in
paying fees to pay for things.

Re: As if the recent Ebay price hikes weren't enough
On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:03:21 -0700 (PDT), kreed

So who do we email to express our feelings??

A specific name would be good.

Not that it might do much good, but ....

Site Timeline