Are Gadgets killing PCs?

My, you are domesticated! I used to enjoy Roses Lime Marmalade, but I'm not allowed to have it any more and have to make do with the reduced sugar stuff :(

Reply to
keithr

gadgets,

real keyboard.

I'm sorry. I should not have used a TLA but I thought that readers of this thread would know that a HID includes screens and keyboards. In any case, the example I provide below illustrates the point that you may want to connect your "computer" to all sorts of human interface devices, including your TV and your car sound system.

That is meaningless. What is a "real PC of some sort"?

Reply to
Gordon Levi

I resemble that. I was told "you add new meaning to toy boy" by SWMBO'd. All I was doing was saving the location of a different shopping centre into the car GPS device, but I had to do it outside the car.

Reply to
terryc

keithr wrote

like as good marmalade as I can make,

Nope, just have enough of a clue to realise that if they dont make what I want, it isnt that hard to make it myself.

Did it with the tomato and chilli relish that they stopped making too. What I make myself leaves anything I have ever bought for dead, should have made it myself long before they stopped making the one I did buy.

Its not a patch on what I make.

sugar stuff :(

Its trivial to make a reduced sugar marmalade that leaves it for dead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Gordon Levi wrote

gadgets,

Liar.

That was a comment on your stupid claim about mobile phones.

Irrelevant to that stupid claim of yours that I was commenting on.

You're lying, again.

What I said, a PC in desktop, laptop, notebook or tablet format, not a mobile with no keyboard and a tiny screen.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Good relish and chutney is expensive, would you mind posting your recipes ?

I make my own Kimchi, much cheaper than buying it when the right cabbage is cheap. You can make it as hot as you like.

Yaputya Leftlegin

Yaputya Leftlegin wrote

anything like as good marmalade as I can make,

True, tho that isnt the reason I make it myself.

I started from

and used the cheapest canned diced tomatoes I could find, 66c a can. Basically chucked everything in the food processor, and didnt bother to let it rest overnight before cooking, because none of the other recipies did that.

Did it both with dried chilli flakes and with fresh jalepano chillies, the hot ones. Cant really tell the difference between the two batches except for the fact that you can still sort of see some of the flakes in the batch where I used the dried flakes.

Used 10 tablespoons of flakes and 5 jalapano chillies respectively.

Also tried both the 5 cloves of garlic and the same amount of minced garlic in those little glass jars, cant tell the difference between those batches either.

Havent tried how important the other minor ingredients are, there seems to be an awful lot of them and I'd be surprised if most could pick the batches with particular ones left out in a proper double blind trial but havent tried that yet.

The cornflour is pretty important. I eat about half of the relish on the open sandwitches I make with every loaf of bread I also make, never buy commercial bread anymore either. I make it in a vertical loaf bread machine and start it so the bread is ready very late in the day and have that for dinner that day. I cut the dome off and put butter, relish, hot salami and lettuce on that so its important that the relish doesnt drip on me when I am eating that.

I also use the relish on cold roast lamb with peas, corn and microwaved potatoes, what I do with other than the first meal from a roast leg of lamb. Hot potatoes, peas, corn, and cold roast lamb and relish with fresh tomatoes as well.

sugar stuff :(

cheap.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I cop crap from the same source when I use the GPS while going somewhere that I know the route to, but I use it as a precision speedo,

Reply to
keithr

gadgets,

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't mean that a 7" Android tablet is a "real PC of some sort" but a 5.3" Galaxy Pen is not. So what _do_ you mean by "PC"? Why can't you add the screen, mouse and keyboard you want to your mobile phone? I can use the same bluetooth keyboard, mouse and speakers with my mobile phone as I use with my "real PC". Both the phone and the PC allow me to plug in any screen that has an HDMI connector.

Reply to
David Segall

Because then it isnt portable, stupid.

But then it still wont work as a multichannel PVR, stupid.

But that screen wont fit in your pocket anymore, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

If you want something portable then you add a portable one such as .

If you want a PVR then you add some USB ports . Of course, you may need more than one "computer" if you want to leave one connected to your home TV antenna while you take another to Europe with you. I agree that MythTV is a great way to prolong the useful life of an old computer.

Does your preferred "real PC" fit in your pocket? The phone will still fit in your pocket if you leave the screen at home.

Basically, you are having trouble with the concept that, within a few years, your smart phone will be as powerful as a "real PC" and that the small size and huge volumes will make it cheaper to produce than the desktop or laptop that you now see as a "real PC". As I said at the beginning of this thread, the trend is clear from the plummeting price of notebooks and netbooks compared to the fairly stable price of desktops.

Reply to
Gordon Levi

Gordon Levi wrote

texts.

Makes more sense to have a separate PC in the format you prefer instead.

Makes more sense to have a separate PC in the format you prefer instead.

So it makes no sense to be stupid enough to do the PVR on the mobile phone.

And the 20TB of storage doesnt do a lot for the portability of the phone either.

computer.

It makes a lot more sense to have the main PC as the PVR now and dont bother with Linux at all. Gives you a lot more choice with the hardware.

Doesnt need to, the phone does that fine.

And its got a lot more horsepower than the phone too.

Makes no sense to be crippling along on the phone all the time.

It wont, because the real PC will continue to evolve too.

How odd that it isnt.

plummeting

desktops.

Thats a pig ignorant lie too on the price of the desktops.

Reply to
Rod Speed