Are Gadgets killing PCs? - Page 2

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

Shrug, just morphing to another form.
More gadget orientated.
<tic> been going downhill ever since you purchased four refrigerator
size cabinentto hold the cpu, tape drive, hard disk and a spare</tic>

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

gadgets, such as internet TVs are having a

Going downhill since LONG before that, stupid.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?
gadgets, such as internet TVs are having a

If only we could harness George Julius spinning in his grave.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

How many people reading this would know who George Julius was without asking Dr
Google? :-)

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

Chuckle. How unAustralian, not knowing about the tote.
http://www.acms.org.au/history/julius_george/index.shtml

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?
Dr Google? :-)

:-)

http://www.dontronics.com/first_multi_user_real_time.html
http://www.dontronics.com/my_early_tote_years.html

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com /

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

You never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

such as internet TVs are having a massive

If you mean conventional desktop PCs then of course it is. Already a
significant proportion of (most?) users who need a computer in more
than one location have a single laptop that they use wherever they
are. It seems likely that fairly soon a mobile phone will have the
storage and processing grunt commonly required. Almost everyone
carries a mobile phone so they only need the ability to connect to the
appropriate servers and HIDs wherever they happen to be. The Motorola
Atrix is not there yet but I think it shows what is coming
<http://tinyurl.com/64ok49t .

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

That graph lumps desktops and laptops and notebooks together, stupid.

Most arent actually stupid enough to cart it around all the time.

But not the screen or keyboard that is required for the most basic stuff.

They also need a decent screen and keyboard if they do more than a few texts.

I hardly ever text from the mobile itself, its much more convenient to use a
real keyboard.

You're wrong, as always.

Most will continue to do it the other way, a real PC of some sort
for all except the much more trivial stuff they do on their phone.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

gadgets,
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828
real keyboard.

I'm sorry. I should not have used a TLA but I thought that readers of
this thread would know that a HID includes screens and keyboards. In
any case, the example I provide below illustrates the point that you
may want to connect your "computer" to all sorts of human interface
devices, including your TV and your car sound system.

That is meaningless. What is a "real PC of some sort"?

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

gadgets,

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

Liar.

That was a comment on your stupid claim about mobile phones.

Irrelevant to that stupid claim of yours that I was commenting on.

You're lying, again.

What I said, a PC in desktop, laptop, notebook or tablet
format, not a mobile with no keyboard and a tiny screen.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

gadgets,
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't mean that
a 7" Android tablet is a "real PC of some sort" but a 5.3" Galaxy Pen
is not. So what _do_ you mean by "PC"? Why can't you add the screen,
mouse and keyboard you want to your mobile phone? I can use the same
bluetooth keyboard, mouse and speakers with my mobile phone as I use
with my "real PC". Both the phone and the PC allow me to plug in any
screen that has an HDMI connector.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

Because then it isnt portable, stupid.

But then it still wont work as a multichannel PVR, stupid.

But that screen wont fit in your pocket anymore, stupid.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

If you want something portable then you add a portable one such as
<http://tinyurl.com/33ljktw .

If you want a PVR then you add some USB ports
<http://tinyurl.com/46u266u . Of course, you may need more than one
"computer" if you want to leave one connected to your home TV antenna
while you take another to Europe with you. I agree that MythTV is a
great way to prolong the useful life of an old computer.

Does your preferred "real PC" fit in your pocket? The phone will still
fit in your pocket if you leave the screen at home.

Basically, you are having trouble with the concept that, within a few
years, your smart phone will be as powerful as a "real PC" and that
the small size and huge volumes will make it cheaper to produce than
the desktop or laptop that you now see as a "real PC". As I said at
the beginning of this thread, the trend is clear from the plummeting
price of notebooks and netbooks compared to the fairly stable price of
desktops.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

texts.

Makes more sense to have a separate PC in the format you prefer instead.

Makes more sense to have a separate PC in the format you prefer instead.

So it makes no sense to be stupid enough to do the PVR on the mobile phone.

And the 20TB of storage doesnt do a lot for the portability of the phone either.

computer.

It makes a lot more sense to have the main PC as the PVR now and dont
bother with Linux at all. Gives you a lot more choice with the hardware.

Doesnt need to, the phone does that fine.

And its got a lot more horsepower than the phone too.

Makes no sense to be crippling along on the phone all the time.

It wont, because the real PC will continue to evolve too.

How odd that it isnt.

plummeting
desktops.

Thats a pig ignorant lie too on the price of the desktops.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828
**There are always fools to pay money for stuff they don't need. Whilst
sopping at the local supermarket yesterday, I spied a woman, pushing her
trolley around, iPad cradled in one hand. Neat, I thought. I felt a bit
inferior with my 'Post-It Note' stuck to the handle of the trolley (no
need to carry it, don't have to worry if I drop it), 'till I figured out
that she did just as much work making her shopping list as I did. I'm
carrying around 0.1gms of paper and she was carrying 500gms of valuable
electronics. All to do the same job.

[Shakes head]

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 09:25:59 +1100, Trevor Wilson

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

There are APP's for Tablets that compare prices from all Supermarkets
also tell you ingredients, calories etc. Most now have to go shopping
in more than one supermarket why not use your tablet if you have one.
--
Petzl
You can trust a thief. But never JuLIAR!!!

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

And plenty who have enough cash to do things in the most convenient way too.

And its unlikely to have been bought for just that, so
she doesnt actually spend anything for the convenience.

While I dont use a tablet for that, I do have various lists in a decent
smartphone instead.

I've never dropped mine.

as I did.

Much less in fact, particularly if you use a decent app that tells you the
location etc too.

Her approach does a MUCH better job.

And I keep track of the best price I have ever paid for stuff that I buy much of
too.

Or an even more convenient smartphone.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?
gadgets,
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-pc-industry-is-heading-for-collapse/17828

Sounds like a typical yuppie showing off her possessions.

smartphone instead.
as I did.
location etc too.

My missus does the shopping, she doesn't need to be told where the stuff
is located, after about the fourth week of moving here, she had that
down pat.

How exactly, it takes just as much effort to type a list into a tablet
or smartphone as it does to write it onto a piece of paper. If there is
stuff that you buy every week and you memory is so bad that you can't
remember it, you just print a standing list each week and add any extras
by hand.

of too.

Not sure exactly what that does for you other than being able to winge
about how much things have gone up.

Re: Are Gadgets killing PCs?

Where do you shop? Around here it is musical shelves.

Site Timeline