Appliance lead - Page 2

Re: Appliance lead

If (for legal reasons) you don't want to remove the plug and re-attach
it, you could cut suitable holes to fit the entire plug through,
go and buy a blank wall plate, file a notch in the side of it for the
cord to feed through, and then screw it over the hole to cover it.

We have done this before when running things with large plugs on ends
like VGA cables, where you definitely DONT want to cut the end off and
re-join.  I have seen somewhere where you can buy a special wall plate
with a more neat looking hood moulded into it for this exact purpose
(maybe Farnell) ?

Finally, if there is excess cable, dont let it pile up in the bottom
of the wall cavity, this could lead to overheating at maximum load.
(possible if running a 2400w heater etc).  You might be better off
getting a cord made with 15 / 20A cable if this is going to happen as
the cavity/cord would surely be hotter due to no free air circulation/
less air volume  than the room.

Note that standard white household extension cords at woolies etc are
typically 0.7s mm sq whereas the cable electricians use in 10A power
circuits is typically 2.5mm sq (nearly 400% increase in conductor
cross sectional surface area.). This sort of cable would probably not
even raise a sweat at 10a load

At the end of the day, I have a feeling that what you propose is not
legal (in QLD), probably for this reason alone (risk of overheating
cables).

Ironically putting in a DIY  GPO would probably be less risk legally
(If you know what you are doing) , as no-one "official" would notice
it if done neatly where the extension cord would stand out like the
proverbial dog balls.

Re: Appliance lead

"kreed"

Note that standard white household extension cords at woolies etc are
typically 0.7s mm sq

** Only ones I see are all using 1 sqmm of copper per conductor  -  which
works out at 3.6 watts of heat per meter at 10 amps.

Such cables only get slightly warm under 10 amp loads (long as they are not
coiled up tightly).

At the end of the day, I have a feeling that what you propose is not
legal (in QLD), probably for this reason alone (risk of overheating
cables).

** Nonsense.

Standard extension leads are very safe to use with any appliance up to 10
amps and are adequately protected from risk of catching fire by the usual 15
amp breaker in the power box.

....  Phil

Re: Appliance lead

Where did you come up with the idea that 15 amp breakers are usual?
Apart from the simple fact that 15A breakers are very uncommon (16A is
standard), most power circuits in a modern would be protected by a 20A
breaker.

David

Re: Appliance lead

"David the Pedantic Jerk "

**  One miserable amp between friends is but nothing  ...

** Just had a peek at the fuse panel here - 15 units and a house circuit.

 Found the following:

 15 x  8 amp ceramic fuses for lighting.

 1  x  8 amp circuit breaker for same.

 11 x 15 amp ceramic fuses for power circuits.

 4  x  16 amp circuit breakers for same.

 1  x  20 amp circuit breaker for same.

Not that any of this makes one tiny bit of difference to what I posted
above.

Pedants are like rust  -

     both never sleep ......

....  Phil

Re: Appliance lead

Point proved. No "usual 15 amp breaker" in sight.

There is a HUGE difference between a rewireable ceramic fuse and a
circuit breaker. The old ceramic rewireable fuses are not even permitted
under the current wiring rules.

David

David the Pedantic, Psychotic Jerkoff
 "David the Pedantic, Psychotic Jerkoff "

** The only  POINT  proved is the big one on top of this anonymous prick's
FAT head.

**  Is that right   ??????????

 Yaaaaawwwnnnnnnnnnn...................

**  ROTFL  !!!!!!!!!!

BIG  shame  MILLIONS of them are in use all over Australia  TODAY  !!!!

Imagine the  STEAM  that  must pour out of this  RETARDED  PEDANTs  ears
when sees one of them ??

Poor bugger might have a bloody coronary ....

Wot a friggin hoot   !!!!!!!!!!

And a massive blessing to all mankind.

Only good pedant is a dead one.

.....  Phil

Re: Appliance lead

Yes it is. But I forgot that you didn't make it that far a university to
understand about fuses etc. The wiring rules treat them differently as well.

Never denied that many are still out there. Learn to *READ* what I typed.

David

David the Pedantic, Psychotic Jerkoff

"David the Pedantic, Psychotic Jerkoff "

** The only  POINT  proved here is the ONE  on top of this anonymous, smug
prick's  FAT  head.

**  Is that right  ??????????

 Yaaaaawwwnnnnnnnnnn...................

** ROTFL  !!!!!!!!!!

BIG  shame  MILLIONS of them are in use all over Australia  TODAY  !!!!

Imagine the  STEAM  that  must pour out of this  RETARDED  PEDANTs  ears
whenever sees one of them ??

Poor bugger might have a bloody coronary ....

Wot a friggin hoot   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus a massive blessing to all mankind.

BTW:

The only good pedant is a DEAD  one.

I do sincerely hope David the Pedant's death is not soon  -

but rather as long and agonising as possible.

.....  Phil

Re: Appliance lead

 If you're playing for the pedantic old fart award, it's already been
taken.  Thanks for trying anyway.

Re: Appliance lead

  That makes it a fixed cable
  do you have a cablers permit or a sparkys ?

Certainly illegal for you to do unless a sparky in your state

  I have seen somewhere where you can buy a special wall plate
  bad advice and possible liable

  wrong
  As said it aint legal unless run down the outer wall
  more bad comment
  you really want to get sued ?