Appliance lead

 Could someone advise please. Is it allowed to run a 240vac flexible
appliance lead eg TV etc; through the wall cavity. If so what would be the
maximum length of lead that can be hidden.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Appliance lead

What's wrong with putting in a GPO?

Re: Appliance lead

 Nothing as far as I'm concerned. Except you need a license to install a
GPO. This way, Make an entry through the Gyprock and drop the lead down to
the skirting GPO and plug it in there. All nicely hidden out of the way and
the set is flush with the wall.

Re: Appliance lead

Not legal unless you are licensed best I know

Re: Appliance lead

If the holes are big enough to pass the plug through without
disconnection and the lead was left intact you would get away with it.

Re: Appliance lead

getting away and legal aint the same
  k?

Re: Appliance lead

In that case it's easy, just use an extension cord.

Re: Appliance lead

"Noodnik"

 ** ??????????????????????????????

  Totally off with the pixies.

....  Phil

Re: Appliance lead

Quite right. The fact is these sets will be installed in a public area, so
all has to be correct and neat. I may cut the plug off and put a Canon on,
and get hard wired Canon sockets installed on their own circuit. Should hide
nicely behind the units.

Completely NUTS !!!!

"Jimjam"

**  WHAAAAAAAATTTTT  ??????????????????

** Fraid you have a BIG problem there  -  pal.

Cannon connectors ( aka XLRs or the obsolete XLR-LNEs )  are  NOT  approved
mains connectors  !!!!

The XLR-LNE  ( aka Cannon mains) connectors were  *withdrawn from the
market* about  20 years ago on safety grounds and in any case were ** NEVER
**  allowed to be installed on a wall in lieu of a GPO.

What you are suggesting is 100%  NUTS and 100 % ILLEGAL !!!!

BTW:

Do not come back telling me that you can use the Neutrik  "PowerCon"
ither  -  as that connector is just as illegal as the old Cannon LNEs for
the purpose you are suggesting.

....  Phil

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

 Believe it or not, they're still frequently used by the "I know better
than you" brigade.

 I've seen the audio spec cannon plugs and sockets used for mains too,
though I hadn't seen the real mains spec cannon plugs for a long time.
Though from you say, that would explain why.

 I wouldn't use them myself, mainly because both tended to either go
bang, or make the operator go bang.

 Though, person in question magically becomes immune to these problems
because "they know better than I do".

 Darwin knows how it works.

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

"John Tserkezis"

** Bollocks.

Such use is EXTREMELY  rare  -  only heard of ONE example in 40 years.

Some IDIOT used an XLR to supply mains power to an amp rack.

The inevitable disaster happened.

Story came from Nik Kay at Etone in the early 1980s.

....  Phil

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

 I knew a guy who did it on a regular basis.  I tried to convince him
otherwise, but to no avail.

 Was some time later when he wondered why he was getting shocked when
using one of his cords he finally changed over to something more sensible.

 I suppose it depends on where you sit, but I've seen it plenty.

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

"John Jerkezis"

** Bollocks.

Such use is EXTREMELY  rare  -  only heard of ONE example in 40 years.

Some IDIOT used an XLR to supply mains power to an amp rack.

The inevitable disaster happened.

Story came from Nik Kay at Etone in the early 1980s.

....  Phil

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

Keep your hair on. I was being sarcastic and wouldn't dream of dream of
doing that.

We have in fact come up with an idea. Completely legal. Plus the whole thing
is hidden. It is indeed a concealed hard wired GPO mounted behind a sliding
plate along with the other communication sockets required on a plate. Access
is through a slot on the bottom of the sliding plate. Just slide the plate
and voila. Very simple and low cost to make.
We have had this checked out to day by a licensed contractor, who will do
the install. Cost ? About $ 105 ea. Should go into business All is fine.
Thanks for all your comments.

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

"Jimjam"

** I do  NOT  believe you.

That was a  ASININE  thing to post here and you deserve a  GIANT  boot up
the arse for doing it.

All you are is another time wasting, stupid PITA troll.

Bugger off.

...  Phil

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

 Just a little subtle sarcasm
If as you say "The XLR-LNE  ( aka Cannon mains) connectors were  *withdrawn
from the
market* about  20 years ago". How the hell could I use them .
If as you say " The XLR-LNE  ( aka Cannon mains) connectors were  *withdrawn
from the
market* about  20 years ago". How can it be "100%  NUTS and 100 % ILLEGAL
!!!!"You maybe interested that the project has been completed as described
elsewhere in this thread. Folks are very impressed. Might make some funds
out of this. We thought of asking you what colour the units should be. but
as my mate said your answer would be "Completely NUTS"

Ta Ta

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

"Jimjam = a Total Nutter "

**  Liar.

** You post only mentioned " Canon "  (sic) connectors.

Might have been  XLRs or XLR-LNEs   -   so I covered them both.

Old stock of XLR-LNEs may well be available to some  -  I have quite a few.

** Utterly irrelevant.

  FOAD you pathetic troll.

....  Phil

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

 For a moment there a little earlier, I thought your answers were
leaning towards sensible.

 But no, this gem shows you're back in full force.

 Welcome back to the Phil we know and love. :-)

Re: Completely NUTS !!!!

Jimjam = a Total Nutter "

**  Liar.

** You post only mentioned " Canon "  (sic) connectors.

Might have been  XLRs or XLR-LNEs   -   so I covered them both.

Old stock of XLR-LNEs may well be available to some  -  I have quite a few.

** Utterly irrelevant.

  FOAD you pathetic troll.

....  Phil

Site Timeline