Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor? - Page 2

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

My thoughts exactly.
   Protel and some other companies seem to have the attitude that
anything which is intuitive and straightforward and doesn't have you
constantly jumping through all their hoops has something wrong with
it. They equate simplicity with "deficiency" and make it as complex
and obscure as possible to do almost everything.
   In 99SE You have to dig down through about 3 levels of menus just
to turn layers on and off, for example.
   Maybe I shouldn't put this in a public forum, but Altium sent us an
evaluation copy of their latest Protel/DXP(?) 2004 package on CD. On
three out of four PCs we tried it on, the installation froze up. All
were fast Celeron machines running XP Pro with lots of RAM. Only a
1GHz Pentium 3 running XP Pro would work with it. For some reason we
weren't the slightest bit surprised. Altium were. They said it was
fine on their Celeron laptop.

Bob

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

which was probably the full extent of their in-house testing ....

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Pre-SP6 I was of the same opinion. I simply wouldn't trust the database
functionality and ran with seperate files. However since moving to the
database under SP6 I wouldn't go back. One file for everything has many
advantages, especially within our organisation. One thing with the
database though, you MUST use the Auto Compact database option,
otherwise the file gets bigger and bigger every time you save. If you
are a habitual saver like I am then it gets big real quick. I've seen a
nearly 100MB file for a small simple board!

It's amazing the difference people seem to have with 99SE. Everyone I
know swears by 99SE and has never had a problem with it, yet others on
here seem to have no end of problems.

Dave :)

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Some swear by 99SE, and others swear at it!
   I was actually going to print out a strip of 99SE icons in colour
and glue them to my packets of headache pills. I usually have a
headache after 1 - 2 hours of fighting with that program.
   We'll probably never know why people like me seem to have constant
problems with 99SE, and others have a pleasant experience.
   For example, I've sometimes been plagued by phantom net lines on
the PCB, which terminate at little spurious dots which are only
visible sometimes.
   From trial and error I found that doing a File Repair then deleting
the tracks near those phantom lines makes them go away.
   But you gotta ask: what kind of a program has a file repair
function built in, to fix problems that it creates?!

Regards
Bob

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

FFS don't mention that to MicroSloth - their implementation would add even more
bugs.

And aren't we all glad that MS don't produce a PCB package (shudder at the
thought).

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

   What a thought.... as scary as having the flight control systems on
an aircraft running Windoze, like in this picture:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/WindowsPanel.jpg

Regards
Bob

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

   Just as a little followup, 99SE hasn't crashed on me even once in
about a fortnight of intensively using it on the 3GHz P4 motherboard
which replaced the 2.8GHz Celeron one. Yes, it's done its "phantom
netline" trick once, but that's about all so far.
   BTW, the Celeron had 512MB of RAM and so does the new board. The
Celeron was running XP Home and the P4's running XP Pro. Apparently
99SE is very cranky about what kind of machine it's installed in.
   However, 99SE continues to be highly irritating to use, all the
more so because I've played around with Eagle quite a lot and have
been spoiled by its intuitive-ness. My next project will definitely be
done with Eagle. :)

Cheers and thanks again to everyone for your helpful/interesting
comments!

Bob

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Bob, are you running Service Pack 6 ?

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Yes, I certainly am.

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Bob,
This ddb corruption has happened to me a few times. Sometimes the sch/pcb
files will appear as some kind of shortcut inside the ddb which the s/w does
not recognise. Exporting the files out of the ddb, then creating a fresh ddb
and reimporting the files fixed it. The path length to the working files as
someone else mentioned can cause some weird behaviour. At work I tend to
work in a desktop folder.
r.

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Hi Rob,
   I wasn't aware of the path length issue. Yes, it's pretty long on
my work machine. I'll think about correcting that, thanks.
   I'll also keep your other comments in mind for next time there's a
disaster.
   Having said that, the fact is that the people who created 99SE
think in a very different way to how me and obviously a few others
here think. What to the Protel teams must seem very ergonomic and
obvious is to me ridiculously convoluted and illogical.
   Whoever wrote Eagle does think the same way as me, so I'm gunna
give it a serious tryout on my next design.

Bob

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:16:44 +1000, Bob Parker

Hi Bob,
I use eagle pcb, and find it completely adequate. It does have some
well known quirks though re user interface, but I don't find it a
problem once you get used to it. I haven't used the modern protel so I
can't compare it with that.
You could try the lite version (free) to make sure you are happy with
the user interface before buying the pro version.
Regards,
Jon

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:36:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.au (Jon)

  I've only just moved from EasyTrax to EaglePCB for hobbyist work at
home, mainly because I couldn't run easytrax at work anymore due to
compatability issues with work's hardware.

  It is a bit different to use compared to easyTrax, but I've managed
to get used to most of it fairly easily.  The biggest thing I miss is
the ability to edit component pads directly within a layout.  With
eagle you have to create a new package within the component library
and modify the pads on that then import the new package onto the
board.

  It does come with reasonably complete component libraries for my
humble use, and I've used it to do some (limited) SMD work
successfully, board number 4 will make more use of SMDs though.

  Eagle does have a powerful 'C' like programing language, and there
are a range of user programs which add functionality and again for my
humbe use the autorouter doesn't seem to work too badly, but saying
that, if I could still run autotrax on the work PCs I would probably
stay with that - the price for professional edition for home use is
beyond me, coupled with the pad issue - who knows, maybe they might
fix that 'feature' in a new edition.

  I would whole heartedly agree with Jon - try the demo version on a
couple of small sample boards before making up your mind.

  Trevor

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Have you got the new video drivers from
<http://www.airborn.com.au/layout/easytrax.html ?
They seemed to work ok under XP.

Clifford Heath.

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:26:46 +1000, Clifford Heath
Yes, I tried those Video drivers, and they don't work either!

  Work have moved to compacs with LCDs and since then I've been unable
to run the s/w on those machines with any drivers I've found.

  Trev

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

I have found the autorouter on Eagle to be a dog, very twitchy with the
settings, and ok for all but a couple of tracks which can be manually
routed without too much dramas

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

You can remap the keys to be the same as protel or whatever else you like.

There are newsgroups for eagle on their server
news.cadsoft.de

There is a book on eagle as well.
Have a copy here somewhere but I haven't read it yet
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>

Same guy who has writen a few basic stamp books.

Make sure to have a search around the cadsoft web site
for extra libraries , user projects etc
There is a script file that will allow eagle to import protel99se files.
Think its under ulps.

Alex

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Hi Alex,
   Thanks for all the really useful information! I just went to the
Eagle site and downloaded:

protel2eagle.zip     56,468     7,207     Thu Dec 12 09:58:28 2002
This ULP will convert a netlist in Protel .NET format to an Eagle
script and PCB layout.
Uploaded by Tom Connelly <tconnelly at blueyonder.co.uk> from
Cardonald College

   I hope this is the one you meant. I'll check it out the moment I
get some time. This might be the answer to my prayers in many ways.

Regards
Bob

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Yes.Think thats the one.

Also to export a netlist to protel format

netlist_protel.ulp in the Download area, ULP directory.

Eagle power tools under misc
can import dxf  files limited demo available also other ulps for this as
well.

This mini faq may be useful
http://users3.ev1.net/~rpauly/frequently%20asked%20questions.pdf

Alex

Re: Anyone used Eagle Professional PCB editor?

Thanks again Alex,
   Ironically I'm flat out busy making up for all that lost time now
that 99SE seems to be in one of its relatively good moods (isn't
crashing or bringing up "Floating Point Division By Zero" messages as
it throws components off the schematic page).
   I'll follow up your latest suggestion very soon, because I really
want to use Eagle for all my future designs!

Regards,
Bob