Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

We have a Hoover Elite 1205 and the enamel is coming off the drum in a
couple of places due to rust underneath.  One spot is the size of
tennis ball, the other about half that.

Can I replace (or paint) the drum?  Or is one of those situations,
where to remove the agitator, you have to break it?  (It would have to
be removed to paint it, as the rust goes underneath the agitator.)

Thanks for reading...

Allan

YOU Gotta Be JOKING !!!

"Allan" < snipped-for-privacy@COLDhotmail.com

**  What the heck do you think this NG is about?

 At the very LEAST your heading should be prefaced with "OT".

.......   Phil

Re: YOU Gotta Be JOKING !!!

Hey Toaster Boi!
When has it ever stopped you starting a totally irrelevant and OT
discussion? (with or without the OT prefix)
People in rented glass bed-sits........

Pot kettle toaster black!

Re: YOU Gotta Be JOKING !!!

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:29:29 +1000, "Phil Allison"

Yes, SO sorry phil, I had meant to put "OT", but got distracted and
realised as I hit send.  Please forgive me, O king of usenet.

Re: Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

We've got the same problem - haven't done anything about it yet. There used
to be stuff for repairing poreclain / cast iron baths, that may be useful if
it's still available.
Probably worth rust fix / ranex / phophoric acid treating the bare metal
first.

I think Phil must use a laundromat on the weeks he remembers to wash.

Re: Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

If the rust is neutralised properly then 2 pack epoxy paint should be
fine, maybe bake it dry with a hairdryer beforehand. Some of those
impeller retaining nuts are left hand thread too, so be careful.

Phil just wears his first half/second of the week clothes clothes in the
shower to save time.

Re: Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

"rob"

 **   Thanx for the cool painting tips .

** Got my own machine -  a Simpson Esprit -   seems to be pretty much made
out of rust proof, sturdy, white plastic.

.......   Phil  ;-)

Re: Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

... : )

Yes, I realised as soon as I hit that send key without putting "OT",
he wouldn't be able to resist.  Ah well, at least if the fleas are
biting you, you know you're still alive.

Thanks, Rob & Mark.  So the agitators can be removed?  (I was told by
a Hoover guy some years ago they are easy to break.  Any hints to
getting it out without damaging it?)

These two machines on ebay are of a similar circa, if vintage matters:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item76%30092344
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item76%30125989

Thanks again...

Allan

Re: Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

"Allan" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

Thanks, Rob & Mark.  So the agitators can be removed?

***** Of course they can,how do you think the manufacturer put the bloody
thing together?

 I was told by
a Hoover guy some years ago they are easy to break.

**** If the Hoover guy told you to go and lie in the road would you do that
too?

 Any hints to
getting it out without damaging it?)

*****You haven't got the foggiest notion of what you are doing,have you?
I would suggest you either get a QUALIFIED service person in or take the
risk yourself.Perhaps you might just learn something.

Brian Goldsmith.

Re: Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 08:29:20 GMT, "Brian Goldsmith."

Ah, Phil and R. Speed have found a sole-mate I see.

You are in such a hurry to get your troll-jollies for the day, you
haven't even applied the 50-year old saying correctly.

[Yawn.]  Do grow up, or find something useful to do.  Better to keep
your silence and let people wonder if you are a big-mouthed fool,
rather than prove it so.

Allan

Re: Anyone service Hoover washing machines?

You are in such a hurry to get your troll-jollies for the day, you
haven't even applied the 50-year old saying correctly.

***You still haven't got the foggiest notion of what you are doing,have you.
Did you practice taking the agitator off the machine or did you get agitated
and rush into print on your computer?
The answer is obvious.

[Yawn.]  Do grow up, or find something useful to do.  Better to keep
your silence and let people wonder if you are a big-mouthed fool,
rather than prove it so.

***** At least I know how to get the agitator off the washing machine and I
dont post OT !

Brian Goldsmith.