Anyone recognise this ancient CRO?

** Went there several times a week from 1973 till the finish of business in the late 80s. I even worked behind the counter for one day in 1973 and topped the sales list - Julie did the adding up at the end of each day and came over to tell me personally. There and then, Norm offered me a permanent job and was quite forceful about it. Since I was working for his son Bill at the time (Edge Electrix) I foolishly declined.
** I recall the conversation, Norm had added my invoice ( plus 27.5% sales tax ) and it came to $19.44.

Me: " 1944, ah that was a good year " .

Norm: " Don't say that - 1944 was a terrible year !!

I was in the Army driving bloody tanks back then ".

** Sorry, chucked all my yellow invoices decades ago.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That scope looks like the one described in the March 1950 edition of Radio & Hobbies. It was designed by the late Derrick Williamson, with whom I had the privelidge to know as a friend, colleague and mentor. A revised version with a linear "hard" timebase was published the following month. The four octal valves is slightly at odds with the original, which had a 6SJ7 to drive each set of deflection plates, an 884 for the timebase, and a 6X5 for the HT rectifier. An 80 supplied the EHT, making five valves. Perhaps one of the valves is missing or not visible in the photo?

--
Regards,

Chas.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chas

There's a much more comprehensive set of photos in my online photo album now, at

The valves have been identified as 2x 6J7G, 1x 80, 1x 884, 1x 902 (CRT). It looks as though the builder of this instrument could have adapted the design of the 1938 RCA 151-2 Oscillograph to use locally-available parts. You can see it at

a bit down from the top of the page.

Reply to
Bob Parker

I assume you mean RDS on Broadway near Harris St. The pub on the corner (Agincourt) had a nice curry restaurant called The Sri Lanka Room, I often had lunch there after going to RDS.

Reply to
yaputya