Anyone know where could I get a .....

.. line cord socket to match the power input plug on the rear of a Collins HF
transceiver model HF282?

These connectors are like a six-pin Jones plug on steroids.

Rockwell Collins Aust have referred me to their stateside parent, to whom i have
sent an enquiry.  I am not hopeful of success, let alone affordability.  I am
equally sure that it is a generic connector by Amphenol/AMP/Tyco but I have
found their web-cattledogs to be real dogs.

Any suggestions?

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

You could try the Collins user groups and reflectors in the USA. I'm
not familiar with that beast. A photo of the socket might help, with a
steel rule for dimensions.

Bra.

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

Had a photo of the chassis plus ready, but no ruler in it.  Only took 20 mins to
move the crap off the top, lug it into an accessible spot (21kg) and measure the
strategic dimensions.  Pics of chassis plug and scan of front of tcvr ex service
manual are at

http://members.westnet.com.au/zippo/home.html

Chassis opening and plug plastic (bakelite) body is 36.5mm wide.  Pins are 6.6mm
wide x 1.5 mm thick.  Pin pitch is regular, polarising pin saving the day.

My experience in searching the web only uncovered Collins collectors who were
single-mindedly "S-line focussed" to put it politely.  These sets were a
standard commercial land mobile type, all solid state and fully synthesised
(OTPROM programmed) etc etc and my service manual is dated 1979.

(BAL admitted only to subs and aircraft Collins stuff, and pointed me at R-C-A
for land mobile.)

Maybe - just maybe - some of the a/c HF sets might have used something like it.

Tnx Brad

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

Found a couple of hits on listservers, going to look ...

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

Hi Brad

I should really look into some history of where I work!

It has been stated to me that my current employer bought the radio
division of Collins some years ago. During my job interview one of the
very old engineers talked about the "good old days" when he was involved
in design/test of older Collins radios. Even a lot of our older test
equipment has Collins or Rockwell Collins ownership/asset stickers on them.

If I can corner him again I'll ask. I doubt we have the parts in the
factory though. Very different product being manufactured now!

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA East Texas USA

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

It's even quite interesting looking at the history unearthed for the Australian
end, just Google on Collins Radio Australia (or Rockwell Collins Australia) as
three separate words.

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

Sorry Brad

Asked the guy. He certainly remembered the amateur Collins gear but not
the one you are looking for. He also said that Rockwell-Collins more
market to military/space stuff nowadays.

Cheers Bob

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

Have a try here:

http://www.cinch.com/view_product_line.cinch?id29 %

You may be lucky.

Cinch took over Jones - try searching for Cinch-Jones. You may have to
send e-mails to get dimensions

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com

have

Unfortunately, these are bigger pin size/spacing than "standard" Jones plugs.  I
have Jones on all sorts of stuff from older Codan to Yaesu, and these are
definitely scaled up beasts.  Also, Jones achieve polarisation with pin
orientation - these use a polarising pin.  See pic (url in my reply to Brad).

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

Follow-up - still exploring the Cinch/Jones cattledog.  Didn't know Jones came
in assorted pin sized types.  Just MIGHT be a matching type ....

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

the 2400 series seemed to be about the dimensions you stated!

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

Yeah, but the "about" is a bit disconcerting.  I'm fairly fastidious when it
comes to sticking the vernier G-clamp onto parts, and 6.35 vs 6.6 is a worry.
May not even fit the slots in the 2400 socket.  Thickness difference is only
0.1mm and the spring contacts will accommodate that.

Unfortunately they don't appear to be stocked in Oz. Newark have them but not
found on the Farnell site, and Farnell tech support confirmed they don't have
them.  Non-stock at Mouser.  Arrow are a waste of oxygen.  Doesn't look like I
can see before I buy or have a reasonable prospect of a  return for credit. :-(

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

plugs.  I

Perhaps you need a "400" series - don't know what the difference is
(other than voltage rating) but the catalog says the 2400 will mate
with the 400 series.

Perhaps they made the socket holes just big enough to take the
slightly bigger pins.  Just conjecture!

Alan

--
Sell your surplus electronic components at
http://ozcomponents.com
Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

I have a couple of boxes of old Jones plugs and could not match it with
any. The pin size of yours was larger than anything in my collection.

Your options are to use spade terminals and slide them onto the pins,
or hard wire a cable to the back of the plug. At least you can minimise
damage, keep it authentic and use it on air

Brad.

Re: Anyone know where could I get a .....

OK tnx for checking your stuff.  I had considered putting an IEC or similar in
parallel for 240V working, but chassis skirt space is just too tight.

The Rockwell (US) enquiry ppl haven't responded yet.

If those Cinch 2400's were the right size I'd order a couple, but I'm not
convinced yet.  Maybe when Rockwell reply I'll ask them if it is a Cinch 2400
family.

Site Timeline