http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Anyone for Windows 8?
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars
Not like win 7 works terribly but testing it on didn't work

  must be time to try another abomination on us

--

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

Huh?

Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which probably influences my opinions.

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

thought it was just me for a moment :-)

Cheers Don...

==================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Anyone for Windows 8?
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars
Nah I missed the word "well"
  call it a typo

--

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

That's a wordo not a typo!

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

Intellectual disability induced illiteracy isn't a "typo".

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

Um, doesn't help that much either !

geoff

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

A touch interface arse wow what will be the PC version???

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

My guess is that this is the push to move everyone onto new hardware with touch
screens.
If you don't have a touch screen, you will mouse around in the old fashion way.

Just like you had to key TAB around if you didn't have a mouse years ago.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars
touch screens.
What's the big appeal of a touch screen?

Surely it would be just as quick to use a mouse and no grubby marks left on the
screen.

Sounds like technology gone mad for no real reason.

How many current apps would even support this?

One thing I hated when I was an all day every day PC user in IT was some wally
poking his finger on the screen and leaving greasy fingerprints.
--

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-first-official-look-of-windows-8-touch-interface.ars

It can be very convenient.

Try telling that to those who use iphones, GPSs, etc etc etc

Dont be too surprised when they just laugh in your face.

Then your ears need testing, BAD.

All of them if the OS does it well.

Your problem.

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

Handheld devices work well with this, (there is no room for a decent
keyboard or mouse anyway)
Laptops would probably be ok,  but I don't think it will work out very
well on a desktop PC,
for starters holding your arm out to tap on a screen to do things
would get very tiring after a while,
compared to using a mouse that sits right next to the keyboard.  In
many cases, the screens sit too far away, particularly
if multiple screens are used.

A finger has not got very fine resolution, and depending on what you
are doing, and where you have to put
your finger on the screen, it can block a large part of your view.

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

Yes, I love my touch screen GPS and am irritated when
I have to use a non touch screen mobile phone again.

Yes, but there is room for some physical keys.

We know they are, and tablets in spades.

They do in some situations. Plenty of process control systems do it
that way and the self checkouts at Woolys work fine that way too.

Not of the screen is in your lap etc.

Mine doesnt. I compute from a deep armchair with my feet
up and have been doing that for more than 30 years now.

Yeah, mine do too. Mine are well back from my fingertips with my arms
straight out, I sit further back from the screen than most people do.

Mine are all the same distance away except for the big TV.

Yes, but you dont use that very much. I cant see anyone much
doing everything exclusively with a touch screen, I expect that
most will still have a proper keyboard for the volume text entry
like with these posts and other email etc, and there is no reason
why you cant use a mouse when you need the higher resolution
like when molesting photos etc.

Yes, but thats easily fixed with a well designed touch screen system.

I dont ever find that a problem when using the GPS and entering a
town name or street name etc. Its extremely desirable to have the
system offer what matches what text you have already entered and
is intelligent about offering you recent selections with towns etc.

I havent ever needed to clean the GPS screen, likely because I tend
to use the fingernail on the screen rather than the fleshy part of the
finger and have noticed that it isnt a good idea to cut the pointing
finger fingernail right back when trimming the fingernails because
that makes it less convenient to select stuff on the GPS.

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-gives-the-fir ...

Yes, that's my point.

OBVIOUSLY this system suits handhelds and mobile hardware, but I don't see any
benefit for desktop PCs.

--

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

Fools ran the same line about mice.

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

I do. Yes, it's a pain.

geoff

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

I dont get any grubby marks on my touch screen GPS.

Never needed to clean it in the years I have used it every week.

You must be a very grubby 'person'

Re: Anyone for Windows 8?

Me neither . I don't need one.

Only averagely.