Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here? - Page 2

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

It's widespread, Mate.  I priced a Sony multiband top end radio receiver.
In Aus the prices I got were $420 - $440.  On US websites it sold for
US$140 - $160, but no US site would ship it to Aus.  I created a US address
and paid $US140 incl. shipping to send it there.  Then I paid another US$50
to freight it to me.

I've lost the link but there is at least one Aus company that arranges it
all.  Someone posted it to this NG.

Warranty is then another issue.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

You should not buy Sony! Not only do they prevent the U.S. sites
selling to you they control the retail price in Australia by
pretending the resellers are "factory agents" so they are not subject
to the laws against retail price maintenance. They are not alone.
Apple, Telstra and several of the German kitchen appliance
manufacturers do the same thing. I complained to the ACC but they said
it was legal.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

http://www.priceusa.com.au/about.html
is the girl from Bendigo. good reports.

BTW, if you want a good cheap system:
http://www.msy.com.au /

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Yep, that's the site.  Thank you.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

It is because of the difference in market volume - US has population of 315
million approx and Aust only has 21 million approx. Just look at car price
difference, it is amazing.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Now that www.priceusa.com.su site is good but it wont help if I want to buy
electronic items due to the voltage differences.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Market size, distribution, local markup conditions.  Doesn't sound untypical
or extreme to me.

geoff

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

To the original question, these sort of rorts have gone on here for a
long time.

We seem to frequently pay often 100% more for most things like this
for no good reason. Australian sales tax used to be blamed, but the
removal of 33% sales tax (on goods like this) in favour of 10% GST,
did nothing to shrink these margins.

Add the "Exclusive rights/exclusive distribution rort" as well on many
products, it helps keep up this cycle of abuse of the Australian
public.
-------------

Why would you buy from them, you could build a Good quality PC
yourself for about half that, or if you must have Dell, im sure you
could maybe find something similar on US ebay.  At worst, you just
have to make sure its suitable for 240v operation.  (Note, I have
heard that dell use different pin configurations on their power
supplies, so if you have to change the power supply to a generic one,
check and modify the connectors first if needed)
http://computers.search.ebay.com.au/dell_Desktop-PCs_W0QQcatrefZC12QQdfspZ1 =
QQflocZ1QQfromZR40QQsacatZ3736QQsaslcZ2

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Shit, you would have to be pretty keen to assemble a notebook like the
XPSM1530  from generic parts. Who bothers with whitebox laptops?

http://computers.search.ebay.com.au/dell_Desktop-PCs_W0QQcatrefZC12QQdfspZ1QQflocZ1QQfromZR40QQsacatZ3736QQsaslcZ2

Site Timeline