Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Checked out the XPSM1530 in Oz..goes for $1799. Go to Dell US and its
$1,099US. Even accounting for currency variations we 're still getting
screwed over by a multinational co. for the same product by hundreds of $$$$
WHY???

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?
It's called "Economies of Scale" and is, well, to put it mildly,
*ancient* news.

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

**Economy of scale? WTF? The only real difference is the mains plug on the
power supply. They cost $1.50 (in small quantities). Dell charge what they
do, because they can. There is no other reason.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:35:01 +1000, "Trevor Wilson"

    You'd better check the voltage as well!  :-)

--
steve.hat.stephencarter.not.com.but.net
Nothing is Beatle Proof!!

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

**Obviously you've not seen the current crop of switch mode laptop power
supplies. They are Voltage-independent. My 5 year old Toshiba works anywhere
in the world, without adjustment. I have a mate with a 4 year old Dell. It
also works anywhere. I expect current models will be similarly equipped.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

  Laptops, are lower rated, use a slightly different design (from desktops)
that allows for variable voltage input.  That is, anything between 100-260
volts ac and everything inbetween, (or whatever the label says) will work.

  Doing this with ~500w power supply in your typical desktop is not possible
(not without a serious cat-fight anyway).  This class of supply (if done
automatically) has an auto-voltage switch, which is essentially the same as
the manual switch, but done automatically and electronically within the
supply.  Note this is NOT the same technique as used in laptop supplies.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

**Indeed. The switch is a manually operated one. That does not justify the
extra cost.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

  Yep, I'm still suprised to the difference in price between the single
voltage versions, and the dual-selected ones.  If they all were built the same
(essentially very similar design/manufacture costs!) the option to add the
switch would add a holy few cents for the damned switch to the cost.

  Only thing I can think of, is due to short-sightedness of the project
leaders/designers, they left out the 'rest of the world'.  When it came to
light they might have to sell offshore, they designed a dual voltage one,
which of course cost about the same as their original single voltage unit.

  No matter.  The customer will pay for it anyway. Essentially again...
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

The 550w supply that I just put in my desktop is supposed to work from
100-260v, there is no switch on it. The 400w supply that it replaced had
a switch.

Keith

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

the

Or just use a local IEC mains cord.

Or just the position of the voltage selector switch used in the *vast
majority* of desk top computer power supplies.
Hell, you can even buy a complete new PSU in Australia for about $30!

MrT.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

"Economy of scale" due to hugely larger numbers of sales allowing reduced
margins for a lower SRP while remaining profitable, more economical
warehousing, and support.

geoff

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

**Warehouse and support for Dell products is not within Australia (at least,
not to any substantial degree). Only minimal staff are in Australia. Every
time I've dealt with them, I had to wait whilst it was shipped from
Singapore. When I spoke with Dell (on and Australian 'phone number) I was
not speaking to an Australian born person. I expect their support staff are
elsewhere.

Dell sell stuff at a higher price in Australia, because they can. No other
reason.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

  Warehousing?  I thought Dell did a wait-after-you-order technique, and not
quite off the shelf.  Should reduce warehouse loading quite substantially.

  Support?  You mean it costs more to call India from Australia than it does
the US?

  But yeah, I suppose those two alone add up to a ~$700 per unit increase.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?
Trevor, you know (or should know) better than that.

It's quite simple - in the USA they can sell 100 for 1 compared to Oz,
so they have to make more individual profit per item to end up with the
same overall profit.

Add in that they ship systems from Singapore to Oz as opposed to the 4
or 6 or 10 or more distribution centres they have in the USA, US sales
are comparatively local.

    Cheers,
        Gary    B-)

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

$1,099US. Even accounting for currency
same product by hundreds of $$$$ WHY???

Because they can.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

They do it because they can get away with it.
Same thing happens with most goods, not just computers.
If you don't like it, buy from overseas.

Dave.

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Nothing compared to what Apple were (still may be) like.

Graham

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

I'm struggling to find the US model that you are comparing.
The Oz M1530 @ $1799 includes
T8300 (2.4 GHz, 3MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB) cpu
bluetooth module
WXGA+ (1440x900) lcd panel
TV tuner
4GB memory
320GB hard drive
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Intel(R) 4965AGN Next G Wireless-N Mini-Card

The cheaper US models that I can find have
slower cpu T5750 (2.0GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
lower resolution flat panels (1280x800)
smaller hard drive 160GB
less RAM 2GB
inferior size 128MB video card
Dell Wireless 802.11g card
no Bluetooth module.
no TV tuner

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

So show me where I can buy the cheaper US models in Oz if I dont WANT all
those extras??

Re: Anyone else pissed off at Dell US prices versus here?

Inspiron or Vostro are available with similar configuration to the US XPS
M1530 in OZ.
FWIW I went through the exercise of configuring the XPS M1530 on the US Dell
site to the same specs as the Australian model and it came to US$1829.

Site Timeline