Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

From the Sporting Shooter's Association Website

------------------------------------------------------- Recently, the National Coalition for Gun Control=92s spokesperson Samantha Lee was on television, once again espousing her objection to the shooting sports. Among other things, she argued that civilians do not need self-loading handguns and that sporting shooters only require =91one shot=92 to participate in shooting competitions.

Previous experience has shown us that anti-gun groups don=92t always properly research their subject matter or check facts before they begin their frantic tirades against private firearm ownership and the shooting sports. Indeed, these groups are often just plain wrong when it comes to commenting on the many and varied activities involved in our chosen sport. These groups apparently also believe that the Olympic or Commonwealth Games are the only arenas for sports shooting.

Recognising this, I would like to use this month=92s editorial to set the record straight about what many of the SSAA=92s shooting competitions actually involve.

The SSAA has more than a dozen shooting competitions with many categories and matches in each one and many thousands of Australian shooters participating in them each month. These competitions and their related matches require the use of many different types of firearms, from shotguns, pistols and revolvers to rimfire, centrefire, air and black powder rifles.In Action Match, an international competition in which the SSAA regularly competes and does extremely well in, the competitors use both revolvers and self-loading pistols to engage the targets. In the Falling Plates section of Action Match,

48 shots are fired at metal plate targets in timed events.

In competitions such as Single Action, competitors engage metallic targets with revolvers and lever-action rifles. These targets are placed at various distances and the competitor=92s score is calculated by the number of targets hit and the amount of time taken to engage them.

The SSAA also competes in Target Pistol, which requires 10 shots to be fired in as little as 40-second and 20-second strings of fire during the course.

Furthermore, despite what Ms Lee says, even the various Commonwealth Games shooting competitions require shooters to fire multiple shots. Their 25m Pistol competition includes a Precision event and a Rapid Fire event, with each consisting of six stages of five shots for a total of 30 shots.

The SSAA rifle and shotgunning competitions also require multiple shots. Field Rifle consists of 42 shots taken at various targets and distances in timed events, while Lever Action is designed around fast, accurate shots with all types of lever-action rifles utilised. In most field shotgun competitions such as 5-Stand, a competitor requires a shotgun that can deliver a quick second shot to obtain a score if the target is missed on the first attempt.

Clearly, there are many competitions at club, state, national and international levels that involve shooters taking multiple shots at targets. We suspect that the National Coalition for Gun Control=92s misinformed statements about the =91needs=92 of competitive shooters and what the shooting sports apparently involve is just another ploy by the anti-gun groups to confuse the non-shooting public and that their real agenda is, in fact, to ban all firearms, one at a time, handgun to longarm, multiple-shot to single-shot, until there are no legal firearms left. Of course, this does nothing to curb illegal firearms, which may still be used by unlicensed shooters in criminal activities.

The only way to counteract the misinformation of the anti-gun brigade is through public education and hands-on experience. Perhaps we should send the National Coalition for Gun Control a copy of our new SSAA=92s Comprehensive Guide to Shooting & Hunting in Australia, which details all of the SSAA=92s shooting competitions? We doubt they would bother to read it though!

Reply to
John-Melb

Wonder why the networks are going broke in America? Because ever- fewer people are willing to watch what amounts to a giant press release for leftist politicians and leftist advocacy groups - especially when they know from either personal experience or the experience of relatives that the "facts" the "mainstream" media says are bullshit.

- your source for hard-to-find stuff!

Reply to
editor

How is this of relevance to the aus.electronics group?

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

I agree - it's about as relevant as John-Melb who has started a few similarly relevant threads of late.

Reply to
Dennis

. snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.iad...

It's about as relevant as Trevor Tosspot's rants about guns and gun owners on aus.electronics.

Trevor often does that, get's spanked for telling porkies on a gun related groups, so he scuttles off to totally unrelated groups and posts rants about guns and gun owners, last time it was rec.audio.opinion and aus.hi-fi, this time it's aus.electronics.

Don't like it, take it up with Trevor, he chooses the field, I simply play by his rules.

Or, are you implying that posts by anti-gun zealots like Trevor, ranting about guns and gun owners is relevant to aus.electronics, but a differing opinion is not?

Reply to
John - Melb

Oh, that recent OT thread that you started and also cross posted to aus.electronics?

He was simply reply to the thread you started when you cross-posted it here for no good reason. Trevor is one of the longest standing posters to aus.electronics, and I can't say I ever remember him talking about guns on this group, except when you started and cross posted these threads for no good reason.

How about you make up your own rule, remove aus.electronics from your cross-post list. Please.

Thanks. Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

No, look again.

re

en

No, responding to rants by anti-gun zealots, is in your opinion "no good reason", well I'm glad we've worked that out.

What, and continue to let Trevor post his rants without challenge, not bloody likely.

rnatezone.com/eevblog/- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
John - Melb

Try here

------------------------------------------- > **Despite the fact that VASTLY more Americans carry guns around the stree=

ts,

tly

This rant pre-dates any post I've ever made on aus.electronics. Whilst these comments seem fairly inoffensive, they must be placed in context.

Trevor Tosspot took the opportunity to post rants about gun ownership on a thread which, up to that time had not mentioned firearms at all.

He's previously done that, after being (spanked for telling porkies) on aus.hi-fi and rec.audio.opinion as well. He believes he can post his rants and no-one will know enough about the subject matter to challenge his assertions.

As I said, he chose the field.

I notice you snipped my question, I'll ask again

"Or, are you implying that posts by anti-gun zealots like Trevor, ranting about guns and gun owners is relevant to aus.electronics, but a differing opinion is not? "

Reply to
John - Melb

The vast majority in aus.electronics don't really care. Lets not trash our working ng's by crossposting irrelevant topics.

cheers.

Reply to
Dennis

David, while you're discussing his posting practices with your "longest standing poster" you might want remind him of the claim he posted on aus.electronics, that US gun dealers are using gunshows to sell firearms illegally to criminals without carrying out background checks. You might want to point out to him I asked him at the time to cite some evidence to support this assertion. You might want to point out that I'm still waiting for that evidence..................

------------------------------------------------------------------------ > **Yes. Easily. Across the US, each year, there are hundreds of 'gun shows'.

As I said, he chose the field.

Reply to
John - Melb

You're implying Trevor's remarks were relevant, or that his previous posts on rec.audio.opinion or aus.hi-fi were relevant, but somehow mine are not?

Reply to
John - Melb

Trevor started ranting about guns when Sylvia brought up stun guns and that is what started it

Reply to
F Murtz

You're on record as having asked **Trevor not to post OT ?

When is a fuse, not a fuse?

Reply to
regn.pickford

When it's amp rating is too high.

Reply to
Scout

Ah, ok, missed that one, but at least he didn't start a thread about it. Threads do drift off occasionally of course. Doesn't explain why John-Melb has to respond by *starting* two more cross posted threads on aus.electronics specifically on the subject? Take it someplace else John, please.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

No, you look again. I see no threads on the topic started by Trevor in aus.electronics. But I do see two topics *started by you* on the subject crossed posted to aus.electronics.

It ain't rocket science, if you don't start cross posted threads to aus.electronics then we won't see anything about guns on this group. Trevor certainly isn't starting them. Please stop.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

Why would I want to do that. It's your silly fight with Trevor, you go have it out on the gun groups where it belongs. Leave it off aus.electronics, please.

Dave.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David L. Jones

ws'.

of

ly

re in

es

res

--

> As I said, he chose the field.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
KR

They left out the Nordic Biathlon. Skiers who shoot.

--
"No matter how cynical I get, it never seems to be enough."

"John-Melb"  wrote in message
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spartan613

You people truely disgust me.

Ever heard of freedom of speech?

Freedom of speech is not a licence to allow the distribution of malicous, demonstrably untrue claims about any group in society. It's designed to ensure that differing opinions are heard.

Wanker Wilson posted his assertion that American gun dealers were using gunshows to ignore the requirements of GCA-68 and sell guns to criminals on aus.electronics.

You people said nothing.

Wanker Wilson posted his claims about DGU's in America on aus.electronics.

You people said nothing.

But when something is posted pointing out that zealots like Wanker Wilson often get their facts wrong, you lot start whingeing about cross-posting.

So, you're not prepared to challenge Wanker Wilson about his off-topic posts, but quite prepared to challenge John?

John Crook, President of Gun Control Australiaonce described the debate over firearms ownership in this country as "The Australian Gun War". I've got news for you lot, your decision to take sides means you're no longer innocent bystanders, but active combatants.

But then, you probably already knew that.

Reply to
Thomas