Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

From the Sporting Shooter's Association Website
Recently, the National Coalition for Gun Control92%s spokesperson
Samantha Lee was on television, once again espousing her objection to
the shooting sports. Among other things, she argued that civilians do
not need self-loading handguns and that sporting shooters only require
91%one shot92% to participate in shooting competitions.

Previous experience has shown us that anti-gun groups don92%t always
properly research their subject matter or check facts before they
begin their frantic tirades against private firearm ownership and the
shooting sports. Indeed, these groups are often just plain wrong when
it comes to commenting on the many and varied activities involved in
our chosen sport. These groups apparently also believe that the
Olympic or Commonwealth Games are the only arenas for sports shooting.

Recognising this, I would like to use this month92%s editorial to set
the record straight about what many of the SSAA92%s shooting
competitions actually involve.

The SSAA has more than a dozen shooting competitions with many
categories and matches in each one and many thousands of Australian
shooters participating in them each month. These competitions and
their related matches require the use of many different types of
firearms, from shotguns, pistols and revolvers to rimfire, centrefire,
air and black powder rifles.In Action Match, an international
competition in which the SSAA regularly competes and does extremely
well in, the competitors use both revolvers and self-loading pistols
to engage the targets. In the Falling Plates section of Action Match,
48 shots are fired at metal plate targets in timed events.

In competitions such as Single Action, competitors engage metallic
targets with revolvers and lever-action rifles. These targets are
placed at various distances and the competitor92%s score is calculated
by the number of targets hit and the amount of time taken to engage
them.

The SSAA also competes in Target Pistol, which requires 10 shots to be
fired in as little as 40-second and 20-second strings of fire during
the course.

Furthermore, despite what Ms Lee says, even the various Commonwealth
Games shooting competitions require shooters to fire multiple shots.
Their 25m Pistol competition includes a Precision event and a Rapid
Fire event, with each consisting of six stages of five shots for a
total of 30 shots.

The SSAA rifle and shotgunning competitions also require multiple
shots. Field Rifle consists of 42 shots taken at various targets and
distances in timed events, while Lever Action is designed around fast,
accurate shots with all types of lever-action rifles utilised. In most
field shotgun competitions such as 5-Stand, a competitor requires a
shotgun that can deliver a quick second shot to obtain a score if the
target is missed on the first attempt.

Clearly, there are many competitions at club, state, national and
international levels that involve shooters taking multiple shots at
targets. We suspect that the National Coalition for Gun Control92%s
misinformed statements about the 91%needs92% of competitive shooters and
what the shooting sports apparently involve is just another ploy by
the anti-gun groups to confuse the non-shooting public and that their
real agenda is, in fact, to ban all firearms, one at a time, handgun
to longarm, multiple-shot to single-shot, until there are no legal
firearms left. Of course, this does nothing to curb illegal firearms,
which may still be used by unlicensed shooters in criminal activities.

The only way to counteract the misinformation of the anti-gun brigade
is through public education and hands-on experience. Perhaps we should
send the National Coalition for Gun Control a copy of our new SSAA92%s
Comprehensive Guide to Shooting & Hunting in Australia, which details
all of the SSAA92%s shooting competitions? We doubt they would bother to
read it though!

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

Wonder why the networks are going broke in America?  Because ever-
fewer people are willing to watch what amounts to a giant press
release for leftist politicians and leftist advocacy groups -
especially when they know from either personal experience or the
experience of relatives that the "facts" the "mainstream" media says
are bullshit.

http://www.Internet-Gun-Show.com - your source for hard-to-find stuff!

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

You mean like that popular "Leftist" media network owned by Rupert Murdoch?
:-)

MrT.

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

How is this of relevance to the aus.electronics group?

Dave.
Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

who has started a few similarly relevant threads of late.

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

It's about as relevant as Trevor Tosspot's rants about guns and gun
owners on aus.electronics.

Trevor often does that, get's spanked for telling porkies on a gun
related groups, so he scuttles off to totally unrelated groups and
posts rants about guns and gun owners, last time it was
rec.audio.opinion and aus.hi-fi, this time it's aus.electronics.

Don't like it, take it up with Trevor, he chooses the field, I simply
play by his rules.

Or, are you implying that posts by anti-gun zealots like Trevor,
ranting about guns and gun owners is relevant to aus.electronics, but
a differing opinion is not?

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

Oh, that recent OT thread that you started and also cross posted to
aus.electronics?

He was simply reply to the thread you started when you cross-posted it here
for no good reason.
Trevor is one of the longest standing posters to aus.electronics, and I
can't say I ever remember him talking about guns on this group, except when
you started and cross posted these threads for no good reason.

How about you make up your own rule, remove aus.electronics from your
cross-post list.
Please.

Thanks.
Dave.
Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

No, look again.

No, responding to rants by anti-gun zealots, is in your opinion "no
good reason", well I'm glad we've worked that out.

What, and continue to let Trevor post his rants without challenge, not
bloody likely.

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

Try here

This rant pre-dates any post I've ever made on aus.electronics. Whilst
these comments seem fairly inoffensive, they must be placed in
context.

Trevor Tosspot took the opportunity to post rants about gun ownership
on a thread which, up to that time had not mentioned firearms at all.

He's previously done that, after being (spanked for telling porkies)
on aus.hi-fi and rec.audio.opinion as well. He believes he can post
his rants and no-one will know enough about the subject matter to
challenge his assertions.

As I said, he chose the field.

I notice you snipped my question, I'll ask again

"Or, are you implying that posts by anti-gun zealots like Trevor,
ranting about guns and gun owners is relevant to aus.electronics, but
a differing opinion is not? "

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

Trevor started ranting about guns when Sylvia brought up stun guns and
that is what started it

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

Ah, ok, missed that one, but at least he didn't start a thread about it.
Threads do drift off occasionally of course.
Doesn't explain why John-Melb has to respond by *starting* two more cross
posted threads on aus.electronics specifically on the subject? Take it
someplace else John, please.

Dave.

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

The vast majority in aus.electronics don't really care. Lets not trash our
working ng's by crossposting irrelevant topics.

cheers.

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

You're implying Trevor's remarks were relevant, or that his previous
posts on rec.audio.opinion or aus.hi-fi were relevant, but somehow
mine are not?

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

You're on record as having asked **Trevor not to post OT ?

<Ob on topic component>

When is a fuse, not a fuse?

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

When it's amp rating is too high.

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

When other components have a lower rating?

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

Of course not, what a silly question, Trevor's one of their long
standing and most venerated posters

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

Then it mustn't have come up about **Trevor's belief that
obtaining or possessing inanimate objects like Electronic smoke
alarms, Electronic fire control systems or fire extinguishers means you
are a  pyromaniac in self denial and want to start fires.

You don't have an electronic smoke alarm unless you intend to use it.

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

That's just a silly strawman. Without taking a view on the claim that
all gun owners are putative serial killers, the structure of the
analogy is 180 deg away from the gun claim.

Obviously.

I have smoke alarms and I hope they will operate if a fire starts.
There is a fire extinguisher in my classroom. It is tested every year
by a professional. I will use it if the need arises.

Fran

Re: Anti-gun lobby displaying it's ignorance again.

From the perpective where electronic smoke alarms or extinguishers
are defensive and  hopefully never used in a defensive role to protect self,
family
or community they are not diffeent from firearms.

It is silly to believe possessing one means you are  `possessed` by
evil to commit evil..

They aren't used till they sense particles in the air and trip their alarm..
- till then they are quietly irradiating you with nooclear radiation 8^0

http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/sources/smoke_alarm.html

Hopefully you get enough training in the proper use of extinguishers
to be  capable and experienced with their effective use to compliment
any training with evacuation procedures.

Site Timeline