Another DSE store scraps components

For anyone who might pop into the Macquarie Centre DSE PowerHouse store for the odd component, switch or connector, they have dropped all components, connectors, switches, lamps etc entirely. The shelves are bare (or not even there anymore).

Reply to
swanny

I've been to a couple of DSE stores around Brisbane, looks like they getting rid of kits too - lot's of specials.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Talked to one of the guys in the Ashfield store, said the plan was to scrap all components by the end of the year.

So for me, the only other nearby option is WES, which I try to avoid. Had an issue with work when we ordered a bunch of resistors and caps to restock our shelves, and had a whole lot of wrong values come instead. They said their official policy was if a particular value was not available, they'd supply the next closest. Yeah, that works. At least with electus, they just plain f*ck up the order.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

DSE doesn't make any kits now. Once they've sold what few are still in the stores, that's it. The bean counters running the show have spoken. Profits are higher on coffee makers and MP3 players.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

So, what's wrong with that? Works for MP3 players & coughing ash trays, so should work for electronic components.

Kevin Martin

--
To Reply, delete what is "Not Required" in abbreviated form
Reply to

"John Tserkezis"

** The gals are generally better informed - at DSE Ashfield.
** Huh ??

The staff at WES are friendly and very obliging these days.

The variety of stock WES carry is simply amazing.

If you are lucky, you might even get served by the owner's rather classy missus.

** That is true - their back room boys are a TAD careless.

The " pay peanuts - get monkeys " rule applies.

** Like the old say It takes a EXPERT to REALLY f*ck something up.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ain't that the truth?! It's an old WES tradition, you know. ;)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

What - you're looking for a better quality farting ashtray?

Reply to
Poxy

**Nope. Just some of those floating Solar powered lights for the pool, that were actually waterproof. I note that the new catalogue has "new and improved" versions. LOL! I won't be bitten twice.

Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson

the

With WES I always put "no substitutes" on the orders. Hasn't failed me yet.

Reply to
rebel

Here's what I know of the situation.

DSE PowerHouse stores had all components and most kits except the learning/educational type removed in order to make room for small appliances. This policy has been in place for quite some time. I'm surprised that the store mentioned above still had components so long after the structure change.

Regular DSE stores will continue to sell the "basic" range of components and the learning/educational kits with the "magazine" kits being phased out. Tools and test gear are still stocked and new items are still being added to the range. Of course Silicon Chip is still available too.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

I often use Altronics in Auburn as I work near there. I have found them to be much better then DSE and Jaycar and reminds me of the way those two other stores used to be. They also have the advantage of having the warehouse there so if what you are looking for is not kept on the shelf, they can usually just quickly get it from the warehouse out back.

for the

even

after

Reply to
Bodgey

Auburn, melbourne? Do you have the address?

Reply to
John

Ah. Auburn Sydney. Nevermind.

Reply to
John

I'll second that, the Sydney Altronics store is very good. Much more professional feel than Jaycar.

BTW, I heard that the Jaycar warehouse will be moving from Silverwater to Rydalmere in the not too distant future. Soanar (yet another Jaycar subsidiary) are already there.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

kids are ok to get rid of they grow up into goats

just leave them on the side of the road to eat grass

for the

even

I've been to a couple of DSE stores around Brisbane, looks like they getting rid of kits too - lot's of specials.

Tom

Reply to
Frank