Another CFL failure - Page 2

Re: Another CFL failure

I'm not commenting on the light output. The Philips lamps I pulled apart
use a diode rectifier directly feeding into a greencap rated at 350 volt
DC - its as crap as can possibly be.

Re: Another CFL failure

"David Eather"

** Fraid it is worse than you think.

That 400 volt greencap is wired across and incoming AC supply as a RF
suppression measure.

....   Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

**  Beware   -   Hotmailer on the loose  !!!!!!!!

**  Huh   -   what is " pilips " ??

 That the same brand as the infamous " Phirrips"   ???

 ROTFLMAO   !!

** Philips "Tornado" CFLs are one of the cheapest and worst brands

 -  you imbecile

...   Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

I have an old Philips 15W unit with a rounded cubical base and four
straight parallel tubes coming out that join at the ends to form the
ionisation path. It's been running fine in the dunny for more than 15
years. It was one of the first CFL's and pretty pricy at the time,
maybe it had suitable specced components.

Re: Another CFL failure

"Mark Harriss"

** That sounds like a magnetic ballast fluoro lamp with replaceable compact
tube.

Not the same thing at all as the **electronic ballast**  240 volt CFLs that
we are all being forced to use these days.

** An outdoor dunny light gets used maybe 25 minutes a day  -  would have
clocked up only  2000 - 3000 hours in 15 years.

Magnetic ballasts go on for ever and the tubes are of quite different and
much longer life design compared to electronic ballast BC and ES type CFLs.

No comparison exists.

....  Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

The base measures 40mm cubed and has "Electronic" written on the side,
total length is 20cm.

Re: Another CFL failure

"Mark Harrarse Retard"

** Is there a standard BC or ES  fitting on the thing or not ??

  Model number and / or pic required.

...  Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

Phil, like I give a crap about what you think about CFL's. It exists,
it's quite old, it was very expensive at the time and dates from the
mid 90's as that's about the time I went to Uni, which, I might add,
I successfully completed, unlike other failed maths students whose
name begins with P and ends in N, I could mention.

Re: Another CFL failure

"Mark Harrarse Retard"

** Is there a standard BC or ES  fitting on the thing or not ??

  Model number and / or pic required.

  You vile liar.

...  Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

Phil, like I give a crap about what you think about CFL's. It exists,
it's quite old, it was very expensive at the time and dates from the
mid 90's as that's about the time I went to Uni, which, I might add,
I successfully completed, unlike other failed maths students whose
name begins with P and ends in N, I could mention.

Site Timeline