Another CFL failure

Well, with all the grumbles about CFL failures, I felt I should announce
that I experienced yet another CFL failure last night. That's a total of 2
(TWO) failures whilst living at my present address (4 years) and a total of
3 (THREE) CFL failures in the 8 (EIGHT) years I've been using them. Whilst
living at my present address, I've swapped every possible lamp to CFL that I
am able. Except for regular flouros, of course (lots of them in the
workshop).

Last night's failure was when I dropped a trouble light onto a rock and it
pieced the tube, thus causing it's failure.

So far, here's the list of failures:

1) Cheap, shitty CFL, failed soon after fitting. I no longer purchase
anything but Phillips branded lamps.
2) Phillips lamp failed in the garage, when a possum sat on/grabbed the
lamp.
3) Phillips lamp failed when a rock caused damage to the tube.

For the record:

All my outdoor lighting is CFL (total of 7 lamps).
All bathroom lighting is CFL (total of 3 lamps).
Kitchen lighting is partially CFL (total of 3 lamps).
TV room background lighting is CFL (total of 1, 7 Watt CFL).
Three bedrooms are CFL lit (total of 5 CFLs).
Garage has one CFL.

Two CFLs were brought from my old address and are still providing excellent
performance (as measured by my light meter), relative to the incandescents
they replaced.

Phillips CFLs rule!

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Another CFL failure

Did not know Phillips sells CFL. Philips however does for sure.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Another CFL failure

Why pick on him for that spelling and not the flouros?

Re: Another CFL failure

"F Murtz"

 ** HUH  ?????

You thing Philips did not spell their own name right ??

.....  Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

Not sure wot you mean, trev spelled philips wrongly which is hard to
notice but the glaring mistake (flouro) was not commented upon, just
seemed strange that some one saw fit to correct him for one and not the
other.

Re: Another CFL failure

"Fuckwit  Klutz"

**  No it is not, you pathetic moron

 -   since he did it 4 times  !!!
    ----------------------------

** Was neither glaring nor repeated  -   you pathetic moron  !!!

**  How the meaningless meanderings of the autistic brain are eternally
un-fathomable.

  Peeeeukkkkeeee............

....  Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

It's not about spelling. Both Philips and Phillips are existing companies.
So I wonder if the latter (also) sells CFLs.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Another CFL failure

For christ sake petrus, get a life. You know perfectly well which
company he was talking about.

Michael

Re: Another CFL failure

If I realy knew I would not have asked. I know Pillips to be an existing
company and that Philips did not use it's own brand name in the states as it
looked like too much like Phillips. I also know that Philips made a lot of
other things but electronics in the past including metalware and lavatory
gear. So I thought it to be unlikely but possible that a Phillips also makes
and/or sells CFLs in your part of the world. Besides, I have no reason to
mention another ones language errors. Not being a natural speaker my English
is not perfect at all.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Another CFL failure

On Apr 20, 4:12A0%am, "petrus bitbyter"

Metalware and lavatory manufacture ?  Does this imply that they
manufacture(d) Urinals. ?

Re: Another CFL failure

"petrus bitbyter"

** Accepting that you meant to write " Phillips" -  please supply a link to
this company.

The only reference to a "Philips" company in the USA I can find is to "
Phillips Screw Company"  -  makers of the Phillips screwdriver.

**  Got any proof of that ?

The only consumer electronics company in the USA that might have been
confused with Philips is Philco.

....  Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

I know of the Philips - Phillips case in the states from the time I worked
for Philips. That has been over ten years by now. I also know about the
Phillips screwdrivers and assumed they were made by the US Phillips but did
not investigate other activities of that Phillips - if any. But as Philips
had - at the time - a lot of other activities but electronics, Phillips
might do other activities but screws.

As for that other Philips activities, they were mentioned at the time I
started to work for Philips and I still remember the Philips brand on the
downside of toilet seats for instance. Philips sold most or even all of that
business to concentrate on lighting and consumer electronics but as I left
Philips I'm not aware of details.

petrus bitbyter

Re: Another CFL failure

"petrus bitbyter"

** Shame you cannot prove one single word of it.

**  You might be in big need of  Phillips

 -   since you obviously have so many screws loose.

** Wot a load of old  BULLSHIT     !!!!!!!!!!!

    Get a life  -  fuckwit.

....   Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

snip

Philips certainly did manufacture and sell toilet seats, at least in
the Netherlands. I recollect using the toilet in an older house there
and seeing the Philips shield moulded into the underneath of the lid.

They had plastic moulding factories to produce cabinets and components
for their electronic equipment, its not surprising they also produced
other items.

--
Regards
Malcolm

I think you should open one of those Philips up and have a look.

Re: Another CFL failure

Hi,

On 13/04/2010 7:46, Trevor Wilson wrote:

< .. >

I just threw one out that failed prematurely. Waste of money for the
price considering a bunch of cheap and nasty Mirabella CFLs I have, have
lasted longer.

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Another CFL failure

I have found them all to be much the same.  The dirt cheap ones, we
might get 1 in 10 fail in the first couple of months,
but the rest typically go on for some years.

Note also that WES now have some CFL's in their flyer at what seems to
be pretty good prices. Anyone tried them yet ?

Many of the bulbs I have cut open and found that in almost all cases
the failure is due to the tube itself, not the electronics.
When the CFL Electronics are connected to a similar wattage "straight"
fluro they invariably work fine.

I find in most cases, the straight tube seems to give much more light
output than the CFL tube equivalent.

Noticed in Bunnings that you can now get 45w spiral CFL, It's one
monster tube compared with the regular CFL's :)

Re: Another CFL failure

"kreed"

Note also that WES now have some CFL's in their flyer at what seems to
be pretty good prices. Anyone tried them yet ?

** Yep  -  got a couple of  22 watt spirals the same day their email
arrived.

 Heaps of light output,  no problems so far.

  $3.50 each is the kinda price I like  !!!

Many of the bulbs I have cut open and found that in almost all cases
the failure is due to the tube itself, not the electronics.

** Confirmed here.

When the CFL Electronics are connected to a similar wattage "straight"
fluro they invariably work fine.

**  Yep -  the tube filaments are the first things to go usually.

Noticed in Bunnings that you can now get 45w spiral CFL, It's one
monster tube compared with the regular CFL's :)

** Got a couple of 32 watt " U-tube " CFLs from the local Chinese direct
import shop about 6 months ago for the workshop.

Phenomenal light output and no problems so far.

.....   Phil

Re: Another CFL failure

 How can you say that Philip's lamps are better?  Most are Chinese and come
out of the same plant with differant brand names on them. In my my opinion
CFL's give a terrible output. I'll stick to incandesant

Re: Another CFL failure

"Martin"

**  TW  will not say what Philips CFLs he uses or where he buys them.

Certainly they are not the " Genie " or  " Tornado"  types which are sold
everywhere and made in China.

** There are a few different plants involved and the electronics come from
another set of factories.

**  You have to pick the light colour you like -  most people find  "Warm
White" to be very satisfactory for domestic use.

**  So you use what,  exactly ?

 Dozens of 12 volt halogen downlights ?

 They will all soon be removed from sale too.

....  Phil

Site Timeline