Another CFL failure

Well, with all the grumbles about CFL failures, I felt I should announce that I experienced yet another CFL failure last night. That's a total of 2 (TWO) failures whilst living at my present address (4 years) and a total of

3 (THREE) CFL failures in the 8 (EIGHT) years I've been using them. Whilst living at my present address, I've swapped every possible lamp to CFL that I am able. Except for regular flouros, of course (lots of them in the workshop).

Last night's failure was when I dropped a trouble light onto a rock and it pieced the tube, thus causing it's failure.

So far, here's the list of failures:

1) Cheap, shitty CFL, failed soon after fitting. I no longer purchase anything but Phillips branded lamps. 2) Phillips lamp failed in the garage, when a possum sat on/grabbed the lamp. 3) Phillips lamp failed when a rock caused damage to the tube.

For the record:

All my outdoor lighting is CFL (total of 7 lamps). All bathroom lighting is CFL (total of 3 lamps). Kitchen lighting is partially CFL (total of 3 lamps). TV room background lighting is CFL (total of 1, 7 Watt CFL). Three bedrooms are CFL lit (total of 5 CFLs). Garage has one CFL.

Two CFLs were brought from my old address and are still providing excellent performance (as measured by my light meter), relative to the incandescents they replaced.

Phillips CFLs rule!

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

"Trevor Wilson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

Did not know Phillips sells CFL. Philips however does for sure.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I think you should open one of those Philips up and have a look.

Reply to
David Eather

Why pick on him for that spelling and not the flouros?

Reply to
F Murtz

** HUH ?????

You thing Philips did not spell their own name right ??

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
< .. >

I just threw one out that failed prematurely. Waste of money for the price considering a bunch of cheap and nasty Mirabella CFLs I have, have lasted longer.

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

I have found them all to be much the same. The dirt cheap ones, we might get 1 in 10 fail in the first couple of months, but the rest typically go on for some years.

Note also that WES now have some CFL's in their flyer at what seems to be pretty good prices. Anyone tried them yet ?

Many of the bulbs I have cut open and found that in almost all cases the failure is due to the tube itself, not the electronics. When the CFL Electronics are connected to a similar wattage "straight" fluro they invariably work fine.

I find in most cases, the straight tube seems to give much more light output than the CFL tube equivalent.

Noticed in Bunnings that you can now get 45w spiral CFL, It's one monster tube compared with the regular CFL's :)

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

Note also that WES now have some CFL's in their flyer at what seems to be pretty good prices. Anyone tried them yet ?

** Yep - got a couple of 22 watt spirals the same day their email arrived.

Heaps of light output, no problems so far.

$3.50 each is the kinda price I like !!!

Many of the bulbs I have cut open and found that in almost all cases the failure is due to the tube itself, not the electronics.

** Confirmed here.

When the CFL Electronics are connected to a similar wattage "straight" fluro they invariably work fine.

** Yep - the tube filaments are the first things to go usually.

Noticed in Bunnings that you can now get 45w spiral CFL, It's one monster tube compared with the regular CFL's :)

** Got a couple of 32 watt " U-tube " CFLs from the local Chinese direct import shop about 6 months ago for the workshop.

Phenomenal light output and no problems so far.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not sure wot you mean, trev spelled philips wrongly which is hard to notice but the glaring mistake (flouro) was not commented upon, just seemed strange that some one saw fit to correct him for one and not the other.

Reply to
F Murtz

It's not about spelling. Both Philips and Phillips are existing companies. So I wonder if the latter (also) sells CFLs.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

"Fuckwit Klutz"

** No it is not, you pathetic moron

- since he did it 4 times !!! ----------------------------

** Was neither glaring nor repeated - you pathetic moron !!!
** How the meaningless meanderings of the autistic brain are eternally un-fathomable.

Peeeeukkkkeeee............

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

How can you say that Philip's lamps are better? Most are Chinese and come out of the same plant with differant brand names on them. In my my opinion CFL's give a terrible output. I'll stick to incandesant

Reply to
Martin

"Martin"

** TW will not say what Philips CFLs he uses or where he buys them.

Certainly they are not the " Genie " or " Tornado" types which are sold everywhere and made in China.

** There are a few different plants involved and the electronics come from another set of factories.
** You have to pick the light colour you like - most people find "Warm White" to be very satisfactory for domestic use.
** So you use what, exactly ?

Dozens of 12 volt halogen downlights ?

They will all soon be removed from sale too.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm not commenting on the light output. The Philips lamps I pulled apart use a diode rectifier directly feeding into a greencap rated at 350 volt DC - its as crap as can possibly be.

Reply to
David Eather

"David Eather"

** Fraid it is worse than you think.

That 400 volt greencap is wired across and incoming AC supply as a RF suppression measure.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For christ sake petrus, get a life. You know perfectly well which company he was talking about.

Michael

Reply to
Mickel

If I realy knew I would not have asked. I know Pillips to be an existing company and that Philips did not use it's own brand name in the states as it looked like too much like Phillips. I also know that Philips made a lot of other things but electronics in the past including metalware and lavatory gear. So I thought it to be unlikely but possible that a Phillips also makes and/or sells CFLs in your part of the world. Besides, I have no reason to mention another ones language errors. Not being a natural speaker my English is not perfect at all.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

ny

it

kes

ish

Metalware and lavatory manufacture ? Does this imply that they manufacture(d) Urinals. ?

Reply to
kreed

"petrus bitbyter"

** Accepting that you meant to write " Phillips" - please supply a link to this company.

The only reference to a "Philips" company in the USA I can find is to " Phillips Screw Company" - makers of the Phillips screwdriver.

** Got any proof of that ?

The only consumer electronics company in the USA that might have been confused with Philips is Philco.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison" schreef in bericht news:hqitu5$345$ snipped-for-privacy@news-01.bur.connect.com.au...

I know of the Philips - Phillips case in the states from the time I worked for Philips. That has been over ten years by now. I also know about the Phillips screwdrivers and assumed they were made by the US Phillips but did not investigate other activities of that Phillips - if any. But as Philips had - at the time - a lot of other activities but electronics, Phillips might do other activities but screws.

As for that other Philips activities, they were mentioned at the time I started to work for Philips and I still remember the Philips brand on the downside of toilet seats for instance. Philips sold most or even all of that business to concentrate on lighting and consumer electronics but as I left Philips I'm not aware of details.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter