ANN: New components site

Hi all

Apologies for this announcement - I won't be flooding the NG with ads!

I know lots of people (including myself) end up with a large amount of
"excess stock" due to being forced to buy a minimum quantity of
components from the distributors either because of MOQs or because of
minimum order values. The excess stock usually sits there for a long
time until it gets used or dumped, whereas it could be useful for
someone else to buy.

For example I recently had to buy 840 pieces of a DTMF decoder chip
while I only needed 100.  I searched all over in Australia for someone
who excess stock but couldn't find enyone (now I have 740 spare!).

I noticed that other friends, colleagues and NG members seem to be
having the same problem so I decided to launch a new web site aimed at
allowing people to sell or buy excess stock parts. This site is
primarily aimed at Australian users and so all prices should be in
Australian Dollars and include GST where applicable.

I don't get involved in your sale. The site is purely an advertising
medium for you to use.  Have a look:
http://ozcomponents.com

Comments or (constructive) critiscism is welcome either here or via
e-mail (see sig below).

Alan
Jenal Communications
Re: ANN: New components site

Hi Alan,
Not a bad idea, in fact I had a similar idea myself a while back.
My two cents worth:
1) There needs to be a "browse" function, not just a search function.
2) Having an indication of the number of entires in each category would
be good.
3) I would not limit it to components.
4) You would need to initially offer listing for free until a database
is built up, and only then consider charging to keep the site running,
make a small profit etc. Otherwise there is no incentive to list there
instead of eBay until there is a known audience.
5) Competing with eBay will be hard, there is already a category on
eBay for components and gear. The automatic watchlists and searching
features on eBay are hard to beat.
6) I would not limit it to parts, but test equipment as well.
7) Any support for photos?
8) Apart from the title, it is not obvious that this is an Australian
focused site.

Dave :)

Re: ANN: New components site

Thanks for the feedback Dave.

Some replies:-
I'll have a look at how easy it is to implement 1) and 2).  I did
think of putting a browse function but decided originally that the
resulting list might get out of hand very quickly.

Re: 3), 5) and 6) I wonder what else people would like to see on
there? I'm not trying to compete with e-bay (I think google-ads will
be doing that soon enough from reports) rather I though of a more
focused site for us design/repair freaks.

Re: 4) I don't see any harm in offering free listings for the first
three months the site is running to get some movement but then again I
guess $1.10 for 13 weeks advertising is also pretty cheap (less than
9c a week and multiple sales from each listing is allowed) plus no
percentage of sales!

Re: 6) Is there a demand for listing test equipment? I know there are
a couple of sites in Australia already listing/selling such things.
If enough people want test equipment adding then I guess we could do
so.

Re: 7) Again I considered photos originally and then dismissed them
for two reasons - a)an IC looks like and IC! and b) photos can really
eat up storage space and bandwidth which means it costs more to run
the site.  Obviously if we add test equipment to the categories then
we will have to look at the photo option.

Re: 8) Although the idea is to operate the site more for the benefit
of us guys down here I don't want to disuade people from other
countries at least buying from us. I know there are similar sites
operating in the US and the international market but I have heard some
horror stories about "relabeled" components and "rejects" that make me
wary of using such sites and that was one of the reasons I considered
setting up ozcomponents.com so that we could have some local based
companies/individulas to deal with. Doesn't necessarily mean we'll get
rid of all the sharks but at least we'll be in the same water!

Thanks again for the feedback, Dave.

More is welcome from yourself and others and to get the ball rolling
let's say 20 free listings per company/individual to readers of the NG
between now and 31st December (each listing will last 13 weeks). If
you (or any one else) want to take advantage of this offer just send
me an e-mail with your full name and contact phone number and I'll set
up an account for that e-mail address and send you a password.

Regards

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: ANN: New components site

I don't believe so, most people browse eBay as well as search. I would
consider it an essential feature. In fact without browsing or at least
email watches it wouldn't be a "fun" site to visit.

I think it will take a lot longer than 3 months to get a decent
membership, my guess would be at least 12 months. You need to get up
there on Google and links on other high traffic sites too. People will
want to know the traffic volume on the site too before they spend time
submitting their stuff.
As for cost, it is cheaper than ebay, but it's not as cheap as free
which is what you get on the aus.electronics and Aus-Electronics
groups. Occasional FS posting are allowed on these groups.

I think it would greatly increase the popularity of the site.

Photos are no problem for a say 5GB/month 500MB plan for under
$10/month.
If disk space is an issue then you can implement and automatic photo
resizer script to limit the file size to say 50KB/photo.

Thanks Alan, I will consider it.

The reason I didn't go ahead with my test equipment/component
advertising site is that I figured it would never be possible to reach
the market penetration and compete with all the features of eBay. My
site was going to be completely free unless bandwidth became an issue.
For my own needs I have found that I have sufficient traffic on my own
website to sell a lot of my excess stuff, so I either advertise on my
own site or on eBay. I occasionally post on here too.
New sites like this are really chicken and egg. You need the traffic
and listings, but you won't get the traffic and listings unless there
is already enough traffic and listings! Arghhh...

I would say that you'll have to offer a long fee free and hassle free
period to get up to speed. If people have to create an account and
password etc then that may dimisish the appeal. Ideally it would be
nice if it was like a free forum based thing and people could post
without having to create an account. Although I don't know how you
would easily transition from that to an account system once it picks up
enough speed.

If you just want to create a good resource, and the objective is to
simply cover the costs of the site, then perhaps it could work on a
donation system or something similar.
You might even be able to get free hosting via an aleady established
site.

Good luck.

Regards
Dave :)

Re: ANN: New components site

Thanks again Dave.  I'll bear all your comments in mind and see what I
can come up with.

Wonder what anyone else thinks?

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: ANN: New components site

I think it's a good idea, test gear would be handy also.
If you had a stock set of images, say DIP8, DIP14, 1/4W
axial etc you should be able to cut down on the amount
of images needed to give a good indication to the newbie
of what they are getting.

Re: ANN: New components site

Thanks Mark.  I'll look at putting a selection of "stock" images on
the site.

I'm a bit wary about making the site bigger than Ben Hur.  The
original idea was just for ICs - but it's growing!

Thanks

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: ANN: New components site

I think it is great!! Would you consider extending it to the electrical
trade? I also have had similar thoughts with left over stock which in the
end I have just binned. eBay I feel is a dead loss - I have virtually given
away stuff there - but having stuff online at a set price and just wait
around is better. I would give 6 months tho rather than 3.

I have leftover PCB's, like a lot (100's) and components I would like to
offload, maybe in 1's or 2's or 10's  rather than 100's though.

Cheers.

Re: ANN: New components site

Thanks for the feedback.  I won't consider electrical stuff just yet.
Perhaps later on we can expand the range but for now I'd just like to
get the site going in a form that will please most people.

I agree with what you say about e-Bay. Some components I would never
think about looking on e-Bay for, but there needs to be somewhere
where they can be listed and left for eventual sale.

The idea of ozcomponents.com is that you list the quantity available
but you can sell in ones and twos as you like.  There is an option for
putting in three price breaks that you determine yourself.  For
example you can say 1 - 10 or 1+, 25+, 100+ for the price break
quantities and for the overall quantity you can say something like 23,
10+, 1000+ or even LOTS or PLENTY if you want.

Thanks

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: ANN: New components site

As the others have said and I concur a browse function would be good. Start
with catagories and add sub-lists.

Good luck, will check on it.

Cheers.

Re: ANN: New components site

Thanks

Browse facility has been added as well as a TEST EQUIPMENT category.

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: New components site

what a wanker effort, if you don't know the part number of say a "display"
you can not get out of square one, you may as well pick your nose, I am off
somewhere else.

Re: New components site

I agree.  It needs a search facility with a browsing capability.  Having to
know the part number is just ridiculous.  Like I may need 50 x 56uF 350VW
electrolytics.  I don't need a particular manufacturer's cap to do the job,
but this database expects me to know then all before I can take a look.
Stupid as....

Cheers,
Alan

Re: New components site

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:11:57 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

Excellent constructive comments guys. Just the kind of feedback I
wanted.

Thanks

Alan

Jenal Communications
Re: New components site

thats OK Allen
we (I) am used too it TESA or TELEVIDEO just measure the VCR belt and you
have the order part number

Not TRADETECH you have to fart around with their stupid catalogue that is
not even indexed well.

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:11:57 +0800, "Alan Rutlidge"

"display"