Analogue TV delayed?

** Hi,

Normally there used to be a 1 to 2 second delay between the images and sound
on a digital TV as compared to an analogue one tuned to the same program.
But in Sydney at least, this is not true any more.

With the two sets I have, ABC1 shows no time delay.

Ch 7 digital shows about 1 second, ch 9 digital about 100mS and ch 10
digital a whopping 3 seconds.

If you have an analogue TV and digital TV available, you can check this out.

Weird  - eh ?

...    Phil

Re: Analogue TV delayed?

**When I was working in a mate's TV repair shop a couple of years back,
we noticed that the delay from Channel 10 was incredibly long. Certainly
in the order of 3 - 5 seconds. The other channels were no where near as
long, but the delay was certainly noticable.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: Analogue TV delayed?

My best guess would be that the analogue signal is now being produced by
running a decoder on the digital signal, so that whether you're watching
analogue or digital, you have the same inherent delay, with the only
difference being where the decoder is physically located.

If this is correct, then on analogue one should see the same obvious
compression artefacts in content with rapidly changing illumination
(discos, reporter's camera flashes, etc.).

Sylvia.

Site Timeline