Analogue TV delayed?

** Hi,

Normally there used to be a 1 to 2 second delay between the images and sound on a digital TV as compared to an analogue one tuned to the same program. But in Sydney at least, this is not true any more.

With the two sets I have, ABC1 shows no time delay.

Ch 7 digital shows about 1 second, ch 9 digital about 100mS and ch 10 digital a whopping 3 seconds.

If you have an analogue TV and digital TV available, you can check this out.

Weird - eh ?

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**When I was working in a mate's TV repair shop a couple of years back, we noticed that the delay from Channel 10 was incredibly long. Certainly in the order of 3 - 5 seconds. The other channels were no where near as long, but the delay was certainly noticable.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

My best guess would be that the analogue signal is now being produced by running a decoder on the digital signal, so that whether you're watching analogue or digital, you have the same inherent delay, with the only difference being where the decoder is physically located.

If this is correct, then on analogue one should see the same obvious compression artefacts in content with rapidly changing illumination (discos, reporter's camera flashes, etc.).

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else