Analogue or digital function generator ?

I need a function generator to help with my electronics course. when I am finished the course, I will be learning to design loudspeaker crossovers / filters.

Can someone advise whether a digital FG would be more useful for this purpose, due to it's greater acuracy, or will an analogue suit me just fine. I do prefer the frequency adjustment wheel on the analogue type. I don't think the digital types have this.

Does anyone prefer one over the other ?

Reply to
dezza

I believe there is soundcard software out there that will do the trick for audio frequencies i.e. generate and measure the response if you can handle the interfacing part to your soundcard.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Thanks mark,

I know about the software available, but I realy want the benchtop variety as that is what I need to prractice on to help with my tafe course.

Reply to
dezza

Yes build whatever function generator you want for the construction practice, since it's *far* better to measure speakers using a computer/soundcard set-up these days.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T