Analogue clock circuits? - Page 2

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

No.
Regardless of whether the circuit uses discrete transistor or IC's, it
still operates in a "digital" way. Transistors can be used (and are in
IC's) to form "digital" devices.

Digital counter IC's have been around as long as the display technology
to build digital clocks, so they have always used IC's.

Yes it is possible, and yes it would require many hundreds of
transistors.
It would be a silly thing to do.

Dave :)

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

The display technology pre-dated ICs.
According to  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_tube
- first mass-produced display tubes - late 1930s
- Nixie tubes - 1954

I built a Nixie clock in aboult 1973, but that did, of course, use ICs
(TTL).

It seems people still build the likes of Nixie clocks - e.g. see

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/electricstuff/count.html

Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

"Andy Wood" :

**  I remember there being a digital clock kit building *craze* in Australia
from about mid 1973 onwards.

The early kits used a bunch of TTL and high voltage TO92 transistors to
drive nixie tubes  -   then a dedicated clock IC appeared that meant only
one IC was needed and also a dedicated fluorescent clock display appeared by
about 1974/5.

Also in early 1973, the first 3.5 digit Digital Multimeter kit design
appeared in Electronics Australia  -  it used a set of special Fairchild
LSI  ICs  ( white ceramic with gold pins ! ) and 7 segment LED displays.  It
was a mains powered unit fitted into a  "hammertone" metal box.

I assembled one for "Edge Electrics" back then.

........  Phil

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

Yes, Nixie Tubes and other types of displays (e.g. the
electro-mechanical "flipper" type) have been around a long time, but as
far as I am aware the consumer digital clock craze did not take off
until the advent of IC's to do the job in the early 70's.

Dave :)

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

Our first 'digital' clock was a motor-driven beast which flipped the numbers
over one by one. Hummed along quite nicely, not a transistor in sight. Well,
except in the radio portion, and that died first.  :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

I guess this is where the definition of "digital" starts to get a bit
tricky!

Dave :)

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

A flow of water ticking over a bamboo wheel with 2 spokes? Digital enough
for ya? Then maybe the first digital clock was 1400 years old.

But as this is electronics group then the motor and bamboo don't count!

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

Awesome.

I built a clock out of nand gates (I scored a pack of 400 quad nand gates).
What a mess it was. I think it ended up being about 60cm long on 4 way bread
boards. I needed about 100 capacitors to smooth the power on all the ICs

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

There are those who would say such projects are dumb, wasteful,
nonsense....whatever. But they are incredibly instructive and just plain
fun! :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

I must agree

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

Were they TTL or CMOS chips

My introduction to electronics was playing with 7400 quad nand gates
and they were a big drain on power supply because they were TTL
devices......

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

Nah they were 4000 cmos

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

I don't think the counting couuld be done with fewer than, 20 per digit
so yeah huundereds would be accrate.

I've seen digital clocks with "flip-card" displays, driven by a motor and,
I assume. a mechanism not all that disimilar to those used in odometers.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

and,
odometers.

I had one of these when I was a kid.  The minutes "cards" looked like a
miniature Rolodex.  ;-)  A really odd thing about it was that the hours
had a double set of cards (i.e. 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4).  At about 20 minutes
after the hour when the minute would change, the hour "card" would also
flip at the same time exposing the duplicate "card".  I never understood
why they did this.  Since the hour card had to flip at precisely the
time that the "59" minute card flipped, it wasn't like there was some
unsolvable timing problem that required extra cards.  I guess they did
it to just make the hour column Rolodex fuller for easier flipping.  It
usually flipped around 20 minutes after the hour, but not always the
exact same minute.

Re: Analogue clock circuits?

Maybe thats it .. it was to compensate for inaccurancy in the lining up of
the 2 sets of numbers .. I remember these clocks tho .. great fascinating
things .. had one when i was a kid .. till it stopped running .. motor must
have died or damaged its gears perhaps .. remember pulling it apart and
having these half-number cards scattered EVERYWHERE .. loved it :)