Analog Interface

Hello all,

Someone has asked me to design a system that can take multiple "oscilloscope" type isolated differential inputs ranging form 0 to 500volts AC or DC. In reality they want to be able to hook up to a 3 phase motor or a 0 to 5 volt signal line, or a current clamp that provides 0-1 volt output. Frankly I'm a little stumped. The AD converter, multiplexer and automatic gain selection issues are easy enough to handle, it's the isolation I'm having trouble with. I can't use a transformer because of DC. I want to use an opto-isolator, like the Farichild H11F3, but I have the roughly 1 volt drop on the input LED that gives me a problem with the current clamp or anything in the 0 to about 1.4 volt range. I have considered using the TI (Burr Brown) INA148, but I don't think it really provides the isolation I need if I have 3 of them connected differentially across a 3 phase motor.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
steve

here's some ideas.

Thats why the bits you want are expensive to buy.

The 500 volt sensor could be done with a high value resistor and a LED, if you can get the current - light -current transfer the signal accurately.

Isolating with low voltage will require a non-isolated powered unit doing something like PWM through a LED.

Reply to
Fred Ferd

500volts

or

output.

or

The modern way to achieve the isolation you want is to use isolated DC/DC converters (e.g. the ones from Newport with 1.5 - 3 kV isolation) and put separate serial A/D converters on each isolated channel, then stick the digital I/O of these through optos.

Cheers, Alf.

Reply to
Unbeliever

One vital piece of information is missing - your signal bandwidth. Presuming it is fairly low - try a voltage to frequency converter on the isolated side of a fast optocoupler. Some V-Fs are linear to a couple of MHz over many orders of magnitude. Of course an isolated or safe battery supply is required for the V-F and conditioning cctry.

On the nonisolated side either F-V or microcontroller with capture input could decode the freq output. This can be pretty crude and still give a good result for low bandwidth signals

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M