An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon - Page 7

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Because that's what it said to do in the instructions that came with
the kit.

Cheers!
Rich

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Trouble is, since we moved from Alexander Graham Bell's wall phone (with
crank) to cell phones RF frequently turns into audio after getting into
such single-end shielded cables. All it takes is an opamp with bipolar
input structure.

Of course, with a good old tube amp you'll continue to be fine :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

When I was a kid, my brother built a Heathkit TOOB amp; in the low level
circuits, they only ever grounded one end of the shields.

Cheers!
Rich

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Inside a steel chassis pan, it wouldn't matter. But then Heathkit was
hardly an authority on signal management.

John

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

the

Now wait a minute, they engineered darn good stuff. The old HW100/101
transceivers were among the best ever made back in the tube days. Still
got one. No noises or buzzes whatsoever and its performance in the
vicinity of strong signals is stellar. The only not so good thing was
the two rubber pulleys because they cooked out too fast, but you could
keep a stash of them in the drawer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

it
the

Toob amps didn't rectify RF as well as silicon does.

John

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

in
posted
it
the

But:

We used such transceivers in multi/multi type ham radio contests and
field days. There you had to deal with another 100W transmitter blasting
into an antenna maybe 100ft away. You could make a light bulb glow on
the other antenna. Many transceivers fell off the rocker there, the only
ones that always performed were the super-expensive Collins line and the
Heathkit at the budget end of the price scale. If their signal
management wasn't up to snuff this would never have worked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Brings back pleasant memories. I donated my HW101 to the Boy Scouts
radio club many years ago. I wish I still had my HW 16 - lots of wee
hours CW with that (my first) rig.

Ed

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

At least you've got the memories, that's all that really counts. I
donated my HW101 to a ham in former East Germany after the wall fell.
Back then they didn't have the funds to buy western quality gear. I kept
the older HW100 because that has a white-knuckle supply, direct
rectification and Cockroft-Walton cascade from 230VAC mains. Plug it in
the wrong way ... *BAM*. He got the good set, with original power supply
and the whole thing looked hardly used, almost like new. He was really
happy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

My Heathkit IO-103 scope is the same way.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Hey, is that Chinese take-out I spy?

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

No. Where?

Dave.
Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%3D3D%

On the right. Eh, probably an open box.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Yep, an open Altronics box!
Curiously though the contents were made in Australia and not China - how
novel!

Dave.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

   Look at a piece of blank paper and you will see what i see on that site.
   Therefore the mashed and flattened tree wins.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

 If you set the time base correctly and crunch down on a carrot
you will see a complex waveform on the scope.
Very difficult to store on a digital scope though. :-)
                                           Mike

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Lunch pictures?

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

I wonder if you take a picture with a longish shutter speed while
eating Doritos if you could capture that.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

only if you bolted the camera to your head...

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Just hit the top of your head with your fist. You'll see the typically
underdamped transient response of your visual tracking system.

John

Site Timeline