An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

electronics

didn't

It seems it costs a lot of money to get a decent color. The Tek scopes at work have gawd-awful trace colors. Not only are they "fruity", they're hard to see.

We talked about that before. I *love* the Bosch "Impactor" as a screwdriver. I can even drive large Phillips screws without chewing up the heads. It's the neatest tool I've bought in a long time.

Reply to
krw

Cordless. 12V Li-Ion, that matches three of my drivers and drills. ;-)

We didn't have electric drills in shop. I *hated* shop.

I've sprained a wrist driving screws. A good driver has a *lot* of torque. OTOH, I have a 3/8" air wrench that I think I could stop. I bought a 1/2" impact wrench that I could stop by hand with a 1" socket installed. It went back.

Reply to
krw

I have their 10" SLCS. For $100 it's not bad at all. I just bought it to cut 2x4s and it does that very well. I did some molding with it in my last house, too. I'll likely replace it with a better saw in the next year or so, though.

As far as discussions of these things, rec.woodworking is likely the best place. There are a lot of tool snobs there too, but also a lot of information.

I don't have too many HF power tools, but a few. You really have to be careful. The above SLCS is fairly good (it's weak on compound miters). I've looked at their wet saw and would have bought it if I knew about it before I bought mine. OTOH, I have a couple of cordless drills that are just so bad that I don't even count them.

Reply to
krw

It is indeed. In fact, it's that exact same setup where I first found this issue, debugging that actual design as you see there, probably only days before or after that photo was taken.

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

^^^^^ sweeps

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Thanks! It did help. Mine's now on order, 39.99 and it includes a set of 6 screwdrivers for free.

Don't know what I'll use the screwdrivers for. :-) Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Thanks for the info on the saw. My use would be like yours, primarily rough carpentry. I have a bunch of decorative "garden ties" to replace, and the 12" saw will handle them.

I have a $24 1/2" hammer drill from them - flawless for the few times I've used it. The cordless 9.6V is pretty much useless, except for maybe drilling a couple of holes in a project box. I love their cheap $2.99 meters for monitoring stuff, and as a source of LCD displays for projects. Haven't seen that price for a while though. It's kinda fun to watch them mis-measure noisy DC. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Or a shoot-out ...

Well, not in your neighborhood but we had first-time visitors from Germany a few years ago, our former neighbors. After two week of west coast sightseeing they stayed in a ritzy S.F. hotel to see the town before heading out to us. Shooting right in the lobby there, IIRC a fatal one. They were quite shaken when they got here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

ch

I use their cheap arse IR thermometer for eyeballing hot spots. Item

96451, $29 on sale.
If you find a price on their website, they honor it in the store if you bring the print out. I can't tell you how many of those $3 DVMs I have. Why use a Fluke or HP when doing cheap and dirty testing?

I was checking a gel cell voltage in the boonies, but the meter was on current. It died. Maybe it was fuzed internally. I didn't bother checking. I pulled out a spare and went on with the testing. Later I gave away the meter to someone who wanted to retrieve the battery. ;-0

Reply to
miso

Glen Park is a quiet, bucoloc village on the rim of an actual canyon with an actual stream. Seven restaurants, one sports bar, one dry cleaner, fresh-baked bread and pastries, one book store, one public library. We hear the distant, muffled gunshots from Visitacion Valley and the gentle roar of Interstate 280; we pretend it's a waterfall.

Well, didn't they buy a ticket to The Wild West? They can get a lot of mileage out of the story back at home.

I've never been that close to a human shooting. My sister did shoot her husband, but he deserved it.

John

Luckily we don't hear shootings, except the occasional rifle shots into the air out of trucks when the drivers had too much booze on Friday nights. They don't seem to realize that what goes up also comes down.

They didn't think it would be this wild. But it can. When I did EMC runs at CKC near Mariposa a saloon fight broke out. A real one, guys flying across tables, glass crashing, beer everywhere. All the tourists ran as fast as they could. And the music kept playing.

Wow!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Really. The local cops showed up and said "don't worry lady, we'll take care of it." And they did.

John

Yikes. He must have been a character, and probably not unknown to them. With some marriages I wonder how they could hold on that long.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Oh, they aren't engineered in China, are they?

That's what impressed me, getting the really long Phillips-head deck screws almost all the way into a 4 by 4 without chewing up the head is something I thought wasn't possible with one of those little things. The screws let of a loud squeal as they went in.

There is one tool from Bosch I really love: My Bosch Bulldog rotary hammer. When I use it as a jackhammer it sure sends the stuff flying.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

With a fresh can of Henkel Pattex glue the shims may never come out again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Use parafin (AKA Canning Wax) on the threads and they will go in easier. Then the hot sun melts the wax so that it soaks into the wood, and doesn't affect the holding power of the deck screws. Also, it doesn't hurt to drill a small pilot hole through the top piece of wood.

Michael A. Terrell

Thanks, that sound like a great trick.

I always do that :-)

Otherwise the top piece will ride up if there is some thread on the shaft inside of it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Let us know how it performs, will ya?

Opening beer bottles etc.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

How do you wire up the LCD? Just the bare glass or did you find a trick to get into their blob chip?

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

a cake of hand sop works very well , stick the screw point in and they slip in like c... ahem :)

Reply to
atec 7 7