An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

[...]

Once I took off on a Europe flight out of SFO and the antenna top stuck out of the clouds while the rest of the tower was in the white. Picture perfect, and I had my camera in the overhead . I could still bite myself, that opportunity never came again.

Yesterday I had my comeuppance WRT to the Instek GDS-2204 scope that I thought is so much better than Tektronix. In many ways it is, and also doesn't have the nasty conducted emissions on the probe cables. But when debugging 74MHz gear I could not figure out where a weird buzz was coming from. Until I turned off the scope ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

the

It depends on the shield resistance. Putting a 1-ohm resistor between the shield and ground on the Rx end is as good as an open circuit for ground loop purposes, and should get rid of the antenna problem.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

in

posted

it

the

But:

We used such transceivers in multi/multi type ham radio contests and field days. There you had to deal with another 100W transmitter blasting into an antenna maybe 100ft away. You could make a light bulb glow on the other antenna. Many transceivers fell off the rocker there, the only ones that always performed were the super-expensive Collins line and the Heathkit at the budget end of the price scale. If their signal management wasn't up to snuff this would never have worked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

All the more money for me. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

My Heathkit IO-103 scope is the same way.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Two coaxial shields with one end of each grounded at opposite ends is pretty nice.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

ope in

posted

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D

eel

when it

d on the

s well we

ks.

Is that open end shield rather than opened shield, or am I missing something here. Grounding one side is pretty common knowledge, though you get arguments over which side to ground.

Reply to
miso

Didn't anyone tell you that dovetail joints were optional? :-)

Just kidding. I can't imagine even you would have chiseled out dovetail joints (since I'm thinking those dovetail jigs you use with a router didn't exist for the casual home woodworker back then)...

I built a small table (~2'x2'x1') for test equipment to live on not quite a month ago. I thoroughly enjoyed using a dado blade to cut a bunch of lap joints, and verified the table could hold 300lbs. Old boat anchors, here I come!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Podcast:

Nice, love your accent. If it were winter here, I'd fire up my Tek 547 (since my Rigol is at a friend's). But in summer, the 547 cancels the A/C so I don't use the 547...

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I didn't go that far but I polished and stained the corners until you couldn't really see where things butted up anymore.

Saw a contractor commercial lately about the Fein Multimaster. Drooling all over the place. Fein is "the" electric tool company in Germany, only the good stuff. You had to call a 1-800 number to find out the price and that should have been a dead give-away. Well, found it on the Internet, saw the prices of spare inserts and decided that I do not need it this urgently.

That's the other thing I built, or partially had built when I was around

15, size 6ft by 4ft and extremely sturdy (boat anchor proof). I made a drawing of the frame and asked my parents whether it was ok to get some metal stock, borrow a welding transformer and weld it in the garage. Oh no, no dice. So I went to the local HW store, a larger kind of mom and pop place. My classmates said they'd laugh at me there. The foreman took a look, "Yep, will be ready in two days, then we'll drive up there and chuck the frame over the hedge and you come down here to pay us the 70 Deutschmarks". They didn't even want up front cash. Oh, now my chest swelled and I felt like an engineer. Until I glued the formica onto a panel that would become the top and I had it slightly skewed ...
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I guess nobody told you about the shims. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I first saw the Fein Multimaster at the Portland Woodworking Show not that long ago. They were having a grand time demoing it -- and letting anyone who cared to try it out themselves -- and it was *very* tempting.

There's been a lot of competition with it lately (apparently Fein's patent expired?):

Rockwell:

(looks really good) Dremel:
(dunno) Habor Freight (!):
(you're lucky if you get what you pay for?)

...and there's always eBay for knock-off Fein inserts... (quality level... who knows?)

Nice story about getting your workbench frame built. I suspect that just couldn't be done today, unfortunately. :-(

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Almost forgot... Bosch has a rechargeable version, but the reviews are mixed:

(which is really too bad... you might recall the discussion about the little Bosh impact drivers --

-- and how they're a very, very good tool...)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Fein is simply crazy expensive. I looked at their routers over the weekend. I wasn't impressed, for 4X what a Bosch or PC costs. Bosch has a "Multi-Master type tool ("Multi-X", I think) that's a lot cheaper and looks just as good (Li-Ion battery, though). A little lower down the line, Dremmel has a copy for $100ish. If you want to go cheap, HarborFreight has one for $40. The reports are decent, acknowledging that it's a $40 tool. The only real complaint is that the blades loosen.

Reply to
krw

No shims. The trick is to lay the Formica upside down onto the floor, butter it up with glue, then lay the wood piece on top. While doing the latter it slipped my hand and ... thud, landed on the Formica. Almost perfectly line up. With the emphasis on "almost". There was no way to get this off because it was the Henkel Pattex type glue which never lets go of anything.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

How do shims fix a skewed veneer?

Reply to
krw

Alright! Thanks. I guess I do have to check out Harborfreight.

No, the HW store closed. The usual, the 3rd generation drove it into the ground :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The $40 version will be good enough for me. I've used Fein drills, they are really top notch. I think grampa's drill in the garage is a Fein. About 100 years old, works like a champ.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hello:

Since you're into it, why don't you compare the refresh rate of digital vs analog scopes? Also known as the waveforms-per-second capability? It's something i'm very curious about in practice, and also, do the digitals behave as the analogs (like a low-pass filter) when you increase the freq of a wave-form or suddenly start aliasing?

Thank you. I really enjoy your blog

Best Regards Steve Sousa

Reply to
Steve Sousa

"Steve Sousa"

** Be like comparing chalk with cheese.

** Pretty meaningles with analogue scopes that show the input signal continuously.
** Digital scopes SAMPLE the signal, both in amplitude and time - then show you one screen's worth of SAMPLEs.

Bit later they show you another one.

Bit like tasing a pot of stew with your little finger.

** The topic of " aliens " with DSOs is verboten among makers and fanatics alike.

Plain fact is that you do not get to see what is actually coming down the probe cable and you may well see stuff that is not there at all.

Bit of a worry, really.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison