An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon - Page 3

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

<snip>

Where do you get reports on the Harbor Freight stuff?
I'd like to be able to see what others think about what
I might buy - like their 12' sliding compound miter saw.

Sometimes they're good for power tools that will be used
infrequently.  The stuff I've bought from them for light
use has never disappointed - but I haven't used it either
under harsh conditions or extensively.

Ed

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22harbor+freight%22+reviews

Hope This Helps!
Rich

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Thanks!  It did help.  Mine's now on order, 39.99 and it
includes a set of 6 screwdrivers for free.
http://ww2.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber66%653

Don't know what I'll use the screwdrivers for. :-)
Ed

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Let us know how it performs, will ya?

Opening beer bottles etc.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

I was going to say opening paint cans, but beer tastes better.  ;-)

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

   Why did you drink the paint?

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 00:09:50 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Because the doctor said I couldn't drink beer anymore?

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

   Must have been a long time ago, before they switched to latex based
paint;-)

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

I have their 10" SLCS.  For $100 it's not bad at all.  I just bought
it to cut 2x4s and it does that very well.  I did some molding with it
in my last house, too.  I'll likely replace it with a better saw in
the next year or so, though.

As far as discussions of these things, rec.woodworking is likely the
best place.  There are a lot of tool snobs there too, but also a lot
of information.

I don't have too many HF power tools, but a few.  You really have to
be careful.   The above SLCS is fairly good (it's weak on compound
miters).  I've looked at their wet saw and would have bought it if I
knew about it before I bought mine.  OTOH, I have a couple of cordless
drills that are just so bad that I don't even count them.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Thanks for the info on the saw.  My use would be like yours,
primarily rough carpentry. I have a bunch of decorative
"garden ties" to replace, and the 12" saw will handle them.

I have a $24 1/2" hammer drill from them - flawless for the
few times I've used it.  The cordless 9.6V is pretty much
useless, except for maybe drilling a couple of holes in
a project box.  I love their cheap $2.99 meters for monitoring
stuff, and as a source of LCD displays for projects.  Haven't
seen that price for a while though.  It's kinda fun to watch
them mis-measure noisy DC. :-)

Ed

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

How do you wire up the LCD? Just the bare glass or did you find a trick
to get into their blob chip?

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

I wish I could get into the blob, just as a matter of
interest.  I doubt it would be work the effort, though.
Displays don't cost that much to make it worthwhile.
The simple hack is to just use the thing on the meter
PC board - you can saw away what you don't need.
The last one I hacked used the whole meter, minus the
switching, just to monitor a supply voltage. There was plenty
of room inside the supply cabinet so I just soldered leads
to the input and did a little surgery on the front panel
so yo could see the LCD.  I had a little DC-DC converter
that provided the 9V for the meter. The supply ramps the
voltage up slowly between set points over time, and the built
in meter provides a way to watch the progress without
needing to connect an external meter each time.

Ed

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

The only thing I'd recommend is to buy it in one of their brick and
mortar stores, where it can be easily returned.  A couple of friends
also bought one, after I recommended it, and one apparently had
damaged slider bearings.

I put their meters in my tool box (and hide the Flukes) in case
someone decides to borrow one.  I lost a Fluke-77 that way.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

[...]

Which loss method? It grew legs and walked away or pop ... *BAM* ...
"Whoops, sorry, guess I must've left it on amps"?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Legs.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

I use their cheap arse IR thermometer for eyeballing hot spots. Item
96451, $29 on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber3D%96451
If you find a price on their website, they honor it in the store if
you bring the print out. I can't tell you how many of those $3 DVMs I
have. Why use a Fluke or HP when doing cheap and dirty testing?

I was checking a gel cell voltage in the boonies, but the meter was on
current. It died. Maybe it was fuzed internally. I didn't bother
checking.  I pulled out a spare and went on with the testing. Later I
gave away the meter to someone who wanted to retrieve the battery. ;-0

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber67%097

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Oh yeah? You young punks have it easy. Back in my time, we didn't have
plastic chairs. If we wanted to make sparks, we had to rub two cats
together.

--
Paul Hovnanian   snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com
Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

They had more volts in them as well

--
Dirk

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

When I worked a Century Data we had a problem with our new reel to reel
vaccuum column tape drive when ever someone would walk by the drive when it
was reading it would get data errors. The problem was that the shield on the
cable from the heads to the preamp was grounded on both ends.

Bob

Site Timeline