An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon - Page 2

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Fein is simply crazy expensive.  I looked at their routers over the
weekend.  I wasn't impressed, for 4X what a Bosch or PC costs.  Bosch
has a "Multi-Master type tool ("Multi-X", I think) that's a lot
cheaper and looks just as good (Li-Ion battery, though).  A little
lower down the line, Dremmel has a copy for $100ish.  If you want to
go cheap, HarborFreight has one for $40.  The reports are decent,
acknowledging that it's a $40 tool.  The only real complaint is that
the blades loosen.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

The $40 version will be good enough for me. I've used Fein drills, they
are really top notch. I think grampa's drill in the garage is a Fein.
About 100 years old, works like a champ.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

But it's ugly orange.  ;-)  I think I'll spring for the Bosch.  I want
to rip up some bamboo flooring and inlay a hearth in front of our
fireplace.  I can't figure out another way to make the cuts against
the wall.

I now have seven cordless drills (will likely give one to my son).  I
just bought a little Bosch 12V Li-Ion to match the impact driver.  100
years ago a cordless drill was a brace and bit.  ;-)

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

didn't

Look at the bright side: It could be worse. My Chinese meters here are
bonbon-purple. Channel 3 on my DSO is bonbon-pink.

I am very impressed with the little Durafix single Li-Ion pistol-style
electric screwdriver. $15. We had to build a large step box for our
Rottie because he has trouble getting in and out of the car. The long
deck screws were hard to turn but it muscled them in. Sure saved me a
blister.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

electronics
didn't

It seems it costs a lot of money to get a decent color.  The Tek
scopes at work have gawd-awful trace colors.  Not only are they
"fruity", they're hard to see.

We talked about that before.  I *love* the Bosch "Impactor" as a
screwdriver.  I can even drive large Phillips screws without chewing
up the heads.  It's the neatest tool I've bought in a long time.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

[...]

Oh, they aren't engineered in China, are they?

That's what impressed me, getting the really long Phillips-head deck
screws almost all the way into a 4 by 4 without chewing up the head is
something I thought wasn't possible with one of those little things. The
screws let of a loud squeal as they went in.

There is one tool from Bosch I really love: My Bosch Bulldog rotary
hammer. When I use it as a jackhammer it sure sends the stuff flying.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

   Use parafin (AKA Canning Wax) on the threads and they will go in
easier.  Then the hot sun melts the wax so that it  soaks into the wood,
and doesn't affect the holding power of the deck screws.  Also, it
doesn't hurt to drill a small pilot hole through the top piece of wood.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Thanks, that sound like a great trick.

I always do that :-)

Otherwise the top piece will ride up if there is some thread on the
shaft inside of it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Depending on the screws and use, liquid soap works better.  Parafin
can keep stain from penetrating.  Soap washes away, though some can
damage cheap screws.

If that's the concern, the top piece should be drilled to the same
size as the screw shank (perhaps a *little* smaller).  The pilot hole
should go the length of the screw, though in the bottom piece it
should be the size of the thread bottoms.  Pilot drills do this, with
a countersink, to the right size all in one swell foop.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

a cake of hand sop works very well , stick the screw point in and they
slip in like c... ahem :)

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

   Soap works, but the wax is better.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

[....]

I bet you say that to all the boys/gals         :)

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

   I do.  When teaching woodworking.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

I think some of ours are.  The UI is more Greek, maybe
Japaneese-VCRese.

I generally use pilot holes, but even then heads get stripped out.
Stainless screws are really bad that way.  I don't hear the squeak,
though.  The Impactor bangs 'em home and is rather noisy, itself.

I have a Bosch hammer drill too, but have never used it.  ;-)  About
half my new tools are Bosch (most of the rest are Dewalt or Delta/PC).
I think I'll replace my Harbor Freight SLCS with a Bosch too.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

When I was a lad, we called that color "Nipple Pink"

;-)

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Thats not very PC Fred. These days we don't have nipples we have pediatric
sustenance dispensers.

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

Well, I got meeself a lass and married her so I can't say that never no
more :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com /

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

There's an enormous pink triangle on the side of Twin Peaks today. Mo
calls it "the thong."

It's Gay Freedom Day, ground zero about 3 blocks away.

John

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

The cordless one?  Or do they have a plug-in one now?

We still used those back in industrial arts class in the mid-'80s since they
didn't have enough electric drills to go around.  (I imagine they'd had them
for decades!)

We had pretty good instructors... of the many demos they gave, I remember one
where the guy said, "You want to know the difference between this cheap Black
& Decker power drill here and this much-more-expensive Milwaukee?  Watch
this?" -- Guy wraps his hand around the chuck on the B&D, hits the trigger
with his other hand and... chuck doesn't turn, the drill just sitting them
humming a bit.  "Don't try this with the Milwaukee!"

---Joel

Re: An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:52:57 -0700, "Joel Koltner"

Cordless.  12V Li-Ion, that matches three of my drivers and drills.
;-)

We didn't have electric drills in shop.  I *hated* shop.

I've sprained a wrist driving screws.  A good driver has a *lot* of
torque.  OTOH, I have a 3/8" air wrench that I think I could stop.  I
bought a 1/2" impact wrench that I could stop by hand with a 1" socket
installed.  It went back.

Site Timeline