Amiga 1084 monitor problem

Does anyone know of someone who might be able to fix one of these in Melbourne? I opened mine up to resolder one of the connectors, and now it's powering up but wont display any sort of image, but I'm fairly sure it's salvagable an I'd hate to throw it out.

Reply to
John

ive found that the flyback or EHT transformer is a common fault with these. 1084s

Reply to
ZACK`

An Amiga 1084, what is that the date of Manufacture or what.

Crikey, you might get for it sending it to a Museum

Reply to
son of a bitch

An Amiga 1084, what is that the date of Manufacture or what.

Crikey, you might get more for it sending it to a Museum

Reply to
son of a bitch

The probable reason he wants to repair it is simple. Most new monitors won't sync to the horizontal and vertical frequencies used by the Amiga computers. Also the 1084 uses a SCART connector instead of the usual 15 pin D connector used on most other monitors. The 1084S version also has in-built speakers. The only non-Amiga monitor I've successfully got to work with an Amiga is an NEC Multisync II, although there are probably others that will as well.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge" used by the Amiga computers.

I bought an NEC Multisync new in 1990 good luck with one.

Reply to
SG1

Still got one. AFAIK it still works. :-)

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Alan Rutlidge" NEC Multisync II, although there are probably others that will as well.

Yes, the NEC Multisync 3 did too.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Does it make a high pitch whistle noise because that indicates flyback death.

In any case by far and away the most common fault with those is a faulty flyback transformer. Another common failure was the power switch but that was fairly self evident as you needed to keep it pushed in for the monitor to operate.

Flybacks can be replaced, and the flyback was common amongst various makes and models of monitors, in particular Philips sourced ones IIRC.

Reply to
Clocky

Many old NEC Multisyncs (e.g NEC 3D) were able to sync to ~15Khz instead of the usual minimum of ~31Khz. Not many monitors though..

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

The very last of the Australian made woodbox stereo philips 68cm "flat screen" TV's had Scart connectors and also worked as excellent, large screen amiga monitors ;) Those things can be reparied by backyard banana's and last forever.

Reply to
TPr

Any television or video monitor with SCART can be used with an Amiga. You can also use any modern television/LCD television/LCD monitor with composite or S-Video input.

The challenge has been to find monitors that sync to the Amiga via a VGA connector at ~15Khz, even today they sell expensive scandoublers for Amiga users that double the ~15Khz -> ~31Khz so that one can benefit from a possibly higher quality display (SCART is not so common in Australia too).

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

No, it's not that.

No that either.

Because of my clumsiness in getting it open, I'm sure I've just broken some soldering, but I'm just not adept enough to trace the problem.

Reply to
John

The reason I want it to keep going is that it accepts s-video and RGB, so I can run the amiga, the C64 and my neo geo consolized MVS through it.

Reply to
John

Checking traces and resoldering is something most people handy with a soldering iron should be able to do. If there any private TV repair people left in Melbourne, they should be able to do it.

Reply to
Clocky

ive had the amiga 500 2000 work on the amstrad colour monitor, if you can fined one. you need to make up a video lead with the amigas pinouts to the amstrad monitors pinout.

Reply to
ZACK`