Amiga 1084 monitor problem

Does anyone know of someone who might be able to fix one of these in
Melbourne? I opened mine up to resolder one of the connectors, and now it's
powering up but wont display any sort of image, but I'm fairly sure it's
salvagable an I'd hate to throw it out.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

ive found that the flyback or EHT transformer
is a common fault with these. 1084s

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

An Amiga 1084, what is that the date of Manufacture or what.

Crikey, you might get for it sending it to a Museum

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

An Amiga 1084, what is that the date of Manufacture or what.

Crikey, you might get more for it sending it to a Museum

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

The probable reason he wants to repair it is simple.
Most new monitors won't sync to the horizontal and vertical frequencies used
by the Amiga computers.
Also the 1084 uses a SCART connector instead of the usual 15 pin D connector
used on most other monitors.
The 1084S version also has in-built speakers.
The only non-Amiga monitor I've successfully got to work with an Amiga is an
NEC Multisync II, although there are probably others that will as well.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

I bought an NEC Multisync new in 1990 good luck with one.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

Still got one.  AFAIK it still works. :-)

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

The reason I want it to keep going is that it accepts s-video and RGB, so I
can run the amiga, the C64 and my neo geo consolized MVS through it.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

Many old NEC Multisyncs (e.g NEC 3D) were able to sync to ~15Khz instead
of the usual minimum of ~31Khz. Not many monitors though..

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

an

Yes, the NEC Multisync 3 did too.

MrT.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem
The very last of the Australian made woodbox stereo philips 68cm "flat
screen" TV's had Scart connectors and also worked as excellent, large screen
amiga monitors ;) Those things can be reparied by backyard banana's and last
forever.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

Any television or video monitor with SCART can be used with an Amiga.
You can also use any modern television/LCD television/LCD monitor with
composite or S-Video input.

The challenge has been to find monitors that sync to the Amiga via a VGA
connector at ~15Khz, even today they sell expensive scandoublers for
Amiga users that double the ~15Khz -> ~31Khz so that one can benefit
from a possibly higher quality display (SCART is not so common in
Australia too).

Regards,

Ross..

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

ive had the amiga 500 2000 work on the
amstrad colour monitor, if you can fined one.
you need to make up a video lead
with the amigas pinouts to the amstrad
monitors pinout.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

Does it make a high pitch whistle noise because that indicates flyback
death.

In any case by far and away the most common fault with those is a faulty
flyback transformer. Another common failure was the power switch but that
was fairly self evident as you needed to keep it pushed in for the monitor
to operate.

Flybacks can be replaced, and the flyback was common amongst various makes
and models of monitors, in particular Philips sourced ones IIRC.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

No, it's not that.

No that either.

Because of my clumsiness in getting it open, I'm sure I've just broken some
soldering, but I'm just not adept enough to trace the problem.

Re: Amiga 1084 monitor problem

Checking traces and resoldering is something most people handy with a
soldering iron should be able to do. If there any private TV repair people
left in Melbourne, they should be able to do it.

Site Timeline