Amazon may launch Australian website

Well, this may put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Bricks-and-mortar retailers may soon be facing another online threat with Amazon considering setting up a base in Australia.

The US online retailer that sells a range of electrical items has managed to take a significant share of the local market for computer software, books and DVDs.

According to Morgan Stanley, Amazon wants to further build its online sales in Australia, and may be considering setting up an Australian-based website.

Full story at:

Cheers Don...

====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Good news!

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

** Like hell.

" If Amazon does establish an Australian site, consumers could be prevented from purchasing from the US and UK sites, and charge higher prices. "

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The US and UK sites already charge ridiculous prices compared to other online retailers. I've not been able to find one exception to this rule.

The problem however is that it's a simple "one-stop-shop," which is in itself a boon for people who're too lazy or too stupid to properly search online.

--
Bob Milutinovic
Cognicom

Hahahahaha, I whipped their arse when they first started. Icould send stuff back into the states within days, whereas they took weeks. I'm now in a better position to whip their arse again (if I choose to go back into the business). The big failing with Amazon is they do not like keeping stock and can not deliver.

Really means SFA. My 2c is that it will just be a customised page on the same server.

Reply to
terryc

from purchasing from the US and UK sites,

How odd that they dont with their other non US web sites.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Bob Milutinovic wrote

to take a significant share of the local

I have.

a boon for people who're too lazy or too

And those who are sick of farting around trying to work out who is happy to export and how much they plan to change to do that, with some of the other viable shopping sites.

Reply to
Rod Speed

eBay rules!

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

Hopefully they might persuade a lot of the sellers to sell to us as well !

Rheilly P

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Amazon considering setting up a base in Australia.

take a significant share of the local

Australia, and may be considering setting

I doubt it will happen, Amazon now can market to Australia without GST, if the set up a website here they may need to pay GST.

Why do you think Harvey Norman is setting up a website overseas?

Reply to
SolomonW

They pay GST, then they get it back, same as any Australian run business.

OK, the customer has to pay GST, but it isn't about the 10%. It is about the big percentage markups some companies have got away with charging customers for years.

Not that I think Amazon specifically will pass on any savings. I'm sure you won't be able to get certain books or goods here as quickly as they are released in the US.

because the public told him what he was doing wrong, and 10 years late, he thought he better get with the act. Gerry doesn't quite get it. again, it has nothing to do with the 10%

Mind you, when on line overseas sales builds to a massive scale that greatly affects gst income, the fed govt will scramble to think up some new tax plan.

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

felix_unger wrote

to take a significant share of the local

from purchasing from the US and UK

Nope, with some stuff there is nothing like the same collection to choose from with ebay,

Reply to
Rod Speed

SolomonW wrote

That didnt stop them having a pom web site.

Different matter entirely.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Actually, it does as it adds up to 10% more for the customer. When people do there buying online that is a big issue.

charging customers for years.

Which destroys that argument for Amazon

Which also destroys that argument for Amazon

One problem you have here is physical books are dying. Much of the stuff I am reading now is electronic which can be serviced fine by Amazon overseas.

thought he better get with the act.

That is not what Gerry is saying.

affects gst income, the fed govt will

Of course.

Reply to
SolomonW

Serviced? Well, not really.

Why is Australia limited to certain eBook publications by Amazon?

My wife was one of the first oz customers to buy books from amazon, and then eBooks by being one of the first to buy a kindle when they were offered to Australians.

She has something like 200 books she has purchased for her kindle.

She tells me that she can't get the same books that are offered in the US, or they are released here months after their US release. "Not available to Australian Customers".

Why would this be? It doesn't make sense.

She often buys a hard copy here, before it is released on Kindle for Australians, yet it is available in the US on line.

Cheers Don...

=======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

My guess...

Copyright protection or at least trying to preserve some income. You have proven it is working! We Australians are bastards for putting stuff online that doesn't belong to us. I think the US laws and how they are policed are a little different to here as well.

Just a guess.

--
:-P
Reply to

eBooks by being one of the first to buy a

they are released here months after their

Australians, yet it is available in the US on line.

Nothing will change about this if Amazon has an Australian website except you will now be charged an extra 10% GST.

There are work a rounds for kindle.

SolomonW

SolomonW wrote

Wrong, a lot more stuff will be shipped to Australia, stupid.

And have fun explaining why that already happens with the pommy amazon site.

Rod Speed

30/07/08 sorry, article is 2.5 years old, and you have been able to get a kindle in oz for a long time now.

Cheers Don...

=====================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Don McKenzie wrote

for a long time now.

The article does tell you how to get the ebooks that you cant get with your normal amazon account tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed