Am I stupid ?

What ? I want to make a board that converts RS422 into RS232

I have 7.5V regulated power and several hardware handshaking lines which are more or less unchanged but can be taken down to TTL for opto isolation.

I also have about 12 schematics from

which are good enough to use as a starting point.

I need a special connector on the RS422 side (AB05) and a heavy duty DB9 on the serial end. I have all pinouts.

Is there some reason why no person can just tell me that they know what I want to build but insist on specifications for the most well know comms bus in the world ? We are talking about 1980's technology.

Anyone in Sydney want this project ? Design and artwork ?

What am I missing here ?

=============================== RS422 + handshaking from 232 + power

TTL

OPTO ISOLATION

TTL

RS232 ================================

There are at least a dozen chips for each process. There are also SMD and TH versions of everything.

Anyone interested ? Reply in thread please !

Reply to
Miro

$65 US and some connector rewiring.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Where do I connect the RS-232 hardware handshaking lines on the RS422 side ? Unless you are suggesting a "rats nest" internal wiring. I was hoping for a custom board.

Any takers ?

Reply to
Miro

No, I'm suggesting you grow a brain

Reply to
Mark Harriss

also

etc etc just use Google

and there is a circuit here

or more correctly here

schematic here

Regards
Blue
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
aussiblu

Simpler

Regards
Blue
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
aussiblu

or

Regards
Blue
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
aussiblu

So why do people in the field of board design struggle so much with this. We all seem to agree it is a walk in the park !

Reply to
Outback Jack

There is no DB9, its real name is DE9.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes there is, the current model Aston Martin is the DB9. :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Whether there is or there isn't I am quite certain I could order as many as I like calling it as I did.

Reply to
Miro

All that proves is that you're dealing with a clueless distributor. The "D" is the connector style. the "E" is the shell size, and the "9" is the maximum pins in that configuration. Also, the SVGA monitor connector is HDE-15.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You have not had a real helpful reply yet. RS232 has signals that go FROM one device TO another. RS422 can do the same but is often implemented as a signal BETWEEN devices (really doing it as RS485)

To understand your problem you would need to provide some more info, however given that you are not sure where handshaking goes, I'm guessing that you hav one pair of 422 wires your trying to cram Tx, Rx, rts etc... down. That may not work for you.

In some cases you can just loop back handshaking and have 422 tx and 422 rx. If rx and tx are on same 422 pair then you probably need some sort of protocol conversion.

Not stupid, just need to establish problem clearer.

cya, Andrew...

Reply to
Andrew McMeikan

So I take it that no person on here actually makes boards otherwise someone would have taken the offer by now.

Reply to
Miro

I'll do it, but its going to cost you $170/hour.

Reply to
The Real Andy

I work cheap, I'll do it for $169/hour.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Most people here wouldn't be in that small job contract business, and would charge more than you think. However, there are guys around that advertise and do this sort of stuff. Look at the back of Silicon Chip mag, there are a couple that sound as though they will do it, like this one:

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones