Am I misremembering? - Page 2

Re: Am I misremembering?

What, no PET?
Mind you, if the distance wasn't great, a walk in the sunshine probably
didn't do any harm.

We used it charge up high voltage capacitors, bend the leads over and chuck
them to an unsuspecting victim whilst yelling - "hey catch this".
Another trick was to place the lead of a pencil across the 50V bench power
supply outlets and drape the hair of a sleeping trainee across it.
Turn on the power, watch the carbon get quite hot and smoke up his hair.
Long hair was fashionable in the 70's. :P

I won't even begin to tell you what we did with a roll of jumper wire, the
ring output from a ringer rack and a toilet seat. :-) (evil grin)

Re: Am I misremembering?

We thougth we invented the pencil lead arc lamp! The fine .7mm leads of the
80's were nice & bright 7 did a good job of melting the binding post
terminals.....

Re: Am I misremembering?
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:32:13 +0900, "Alan Rutlidge"

:What, no PET?
:Mind you, if the distance wasn't great, a walk in the sunshine probably
:didn't do any harm.
:

PET's were only issued to long line terminal exchanges, not local service only
exchanges.

And it was often still raining when I had to walk the route.

:
:We used it charge up high voltage capacitors, bend the leads over and chuck
:them to an unsuspecting victim whilst yelling - "hey catch this".
:Another trick was to place the lead of a pencil across the 50V bench power
:supply outlets and drape the hair of a sleeping trainee across it.
:Turn on the power, watch the carbon get quite hot and smoke up his hair.
:Long hair was fashionable in the 70's. :P

With only 50V dc to play with a charged cap doesn't tickle that much. If you
wanted to risk it you could always use the -50V main equipment supply and the
+50V metering supply to get 100V to charge the cap.

It was better if you were at a long line station where 130Vdc was available.

:
:I won't even begin to tell you what we did with a roll of jumper wire, the
:ring output from a ringer rack and a toilet seat. :-) (evil grin)
:

We weren't so keen to have a law suit brought against us...

Our best trick was to install a magneto bell under the floorboards of a lecture
room connected to the pabx ringer machine and a foot operated switch under a
desk. During the lecture the instructor thought the phone was ringing and
answered it - several times. After much frustration at hearing dial tone when
answering the phone he started to become quite angry and suspected the trainees
of having a joke at his expense. He cleared the room and did a search and found
the bell and footswitch and ripped the lot out. When we finally re-assembled to
continue the lecture, an old Westclox alarm clock took off with a raucous alarm
- this had also been pre-set to go off half an hour before afternoon tea, and it
was hidden under an upturned rubbish bin near blackboard. That was the final
straw. The instructor saw red and picked the clock up and hurled it against the
wall. He was a broken man, and the lecture was over for the day.

We did get another lecture from the principal the next day....

Re: Am I misremembering?

MiniLab power supplies were a good source of HV above 200 volts and were
often used to charge up the caps.

At one stage pagers were all the go.  Keith Perry had a pet hate for them,
especially if they went off in his class.
In one of his classes there were so many interruptions from the beeping
pagers he decided he had to get the message across that the constant
interruptions from the beeping wasn't appreciated.  So he talked to one of
the guys from sales and acquired a pager.

At the beginning of the day he asked all the students who had pagers with
them to switch them off.  Knowing full well most would not he arranged with
one of the other instructors to ring his pager.  As soon as the pager beeped
he ripped it off his belt and took to it with hammer, smashing it to bits on
the table in front of the students, muttering something on the lines "... I
bloody hate these pager thingies..."  As one can imagine, all the students
who had pagers on them immediately checked to make sure their pagers were
turned off.

Now of course Keith wouldn't have really smashed his pager to bits - he
actually did it to a dummy display model he got from the sales guys.
His own pager which did go off was safe inside his pocket.  Never the less
it had a lasting effect.  The word quickly got around not to bring your
pager into Keith's classes for fear it may suffer a similar fate.  If only I
could achieve such success with mobile phones.  :-(

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Am I misremembering?

   You need a jack hammer!

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Am I misremembering?

Actually a small ball pien hammer will probably do the trick.
The problem is the student is likely to sue you for punative damages as well
as the cost of the mobile phone. :-(
Oh what a sheltered world it is that we live in.
In the good ol' days you could simply confiscate an offending item until
class was over or send the student out of the room to reconsider their
situation, but not these days.  Politcal correctness and all that rot taken
to its extreme. :-(

Re: Am I misremembering?

   True, but the jack hammer would get their attention, and make enough
noise that they couldn't use their cell phones, without destroying
them.  Too bad the greenies got the freon powered sports horns outlawed.
:(

   The only way to correct rot is to hack it out, with its roots.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Re: Am I misremembering?

That is "should" be strapped.... as clearly shown in the telecom manuals,
and even on the circuit diagram printed inside phones like the 800 series,
and many others. People who didn't know how to properly convert the phones
deserved to be caught for tampering with Telecom property :-)

MrT.

Re: Am I misremembering?

It was in the UK. I got away with a ticking off from the Post Office Telephones
Inspector.

Graham

Re: Am I misremembering?

Friends of ours had an extension phone in their garage/workshop in the
1970's.  Was a legit
Telecom install, and as I remember, there was a surcharge of around
$2-3 a month for the extra socket.

This was done using the black series 800 rotary dial phones.

Some time later, when I managed to obtain the correct telecom
connectors, I made up an "extension" for our place, to get around this
problem, simply ran the extension cord out to the shed, and would
either plug in the inside phone or the extension cord depending on
where I was going to be.  (younger readers should also note that being
"available" by home phone every second of the day wasn't as important
as it seems to be now.) They deregulated it all some years later, and
at that time, just parallel wired it, using a cheap dick smith phone
as the extension when they first became available

Re: Am I misremembering?

Yep, that's why many people did it illegally.

Actually black was not a standard colour issue for 800 series phones. Most
were ivory, with a variety of alternative colours available.

No need with 800 series phones, proper wiring only required using 3 wires of
a two pair cable, and moving one quick connect jumper inside the phone
(which was clearly marked inside) and removing the link on the phone socket.

MrT.

Re: Am I misremembering?

This one is black, looks identical to 800 series ones I see on the
net

http://www.retro-rotary-phones.com/ccp0-catshow/refurbished-telecom-pmg-rot =
ary-dial-phones.html

Still have it actually. Only difference is that the numbers are
outside of the dial and are white, and there are small golden
triangles at the bottom of the dial holes.  Underneath has "AWA" and
"68" stamped on it.
Took it with me when we moved, as the new place the handset had a
fault. When Telstra upgraded us to push button, some time in the early
1990s, they just gave us the new phone in a box, and never bothered to
take the rotary dial away.  I suppose they would have millions of them
to store or get rid of if they had taken them back.

Interestingly my friends 18 year old daughter saw it when they were
here once and thought it was "extra cool" :)

Re: Am I misremembering?

Most

ary-dial-phones.html

Funny, there are green, grey and ivory there, but I see no black. HOWEVER I
didn't say black 800 series phones were NOT available (I have one myself)
but since they are pretty rare, I said they were NOT a STANDARD color, and
therefore your statement that implied black as being the standard colour,
was wrong.
Or maybe you meant only the black ones could be modified? In which case you
are still wrong.

MrT.

Re: Am I misremembering?

Also should mention that when in Russia, there were phones of
identical design to the Telecom series 800s still in common use. The
only difference was a cloth covered cord, most were in colours that I
have never seen in Australia, and the rotary dials were made of smoked
plastic rather than clear - and of course a totally different wall
socket. These seemed to be being phased out and replaced with touch
phones with digital displays for caller ID etc.

I also saw some exact replicas of early Telecom "commander" phones ,
but with a rotary dial and without the multi-line leds above the dial
like here

Re: Am I misremembering?

 From what I remember of the stores list, black was always there, but
demand was so low, it was probably met from refurbished stock. Often
used in mechanics or similar areas, where dirt was common. Although they
were just as likely were ivory. ;-)

When the T200s came out, I always said when people apologised for the
state of it (well some did), that the colour is "motor mechanic white".

The 891 also had some "modern" colours added to the range in the early
80s, the powder blue always looked good on white tiles in a kitchen.

Kevin Martin

--
To Reply, delete what is "Not Required" in abbreviated form

Re: Am I misremembering?

Where I came from in Africa we used drums. If the Chief caught you strapping
an extension drum to your back you were in big trouble - you were put into
the pot and cooked.

Re: Am I misremembering?

LOL - best contribution to this thread so far. :-)

Re: Am I misremembering?

mmmmmm, I wonder if "Bobby" is a psuedo for one of the training school
instructors who used to tell us TOITs/TTOs in depth of his Africa/PNG
travels.

Re: Am I misremembering?

Dunno, but it sounds like a familiar yarn.
Quite a few of the instructors I know of worked in PNG and had some
interesting tales to tell.

Re: Am I misremembering?

Shame the old Manning Training Centre (WA) was demolished. In hindsight it
was a pretty significant place.

Site Timeline