Aluminium cat5 cable?

I just purchased some cheap cat5 cable off ebay only to find that it isn't
copper or copper clad aluminium (CCA).
I cannot solder it.
At first glance I thought is was just tinned multi-strand copper, but it
definitely isn't.

It appears to be just plain aluminium or something that looks like aluminium. It
is multi-stranded, not single core. It feels like copper in terms of springyness
and bendability but looks just like aluminium even under a microscope when
scratched with a blade.

The packaging carries N100MK which could be this,
http://www.etradehouse.com/code/ui/main/product_info.aspx?prdid=N100MK&catid26%4&prd_id13%704
except that mine isn't copper clad.

Has anyone seen anything else like this?

Mike

Re: Aluminium cat5 cable?
It
springyness
http://www.etradehouse.com/code/ui/main/product_info.aspx?prdid=N100MK&catid26%4&prd_id13%704
Yes
  it's crap , if it does meet Australian standards which I doubt it
would be bottom of the line product , now why do you want to solder it
as the crimps works and the cable will work for a while

--

Re: Aluminium cat5 cable?

http://www.etradehouse.com/code/ui/main/product_info.aspx?prdid=N100MK&catid26%4&prd_id13%704

** So the dopey Chinks forgot to add the copper plating ......

Hardly matters with screw terminal and crimp connectors being the norm
everywhere in data and telecoms.

Who the heck  SOLDERS  Cat 5 ??

BTW:

Bloody amazing what you can make out of recycled Budweiser and Coke cans

....  Phil

Re: Aluminium cat5 cable?

:
:It appears to be just plain aluminium or something that looks like aluminium.
It
:is multi-stranded, not single core. It feels like copper in terms of
springyness
:and bendability but looks just like aluminium even under a microscope when
:scratched with a blade.
:
:The packaging carries N100MK which could be this,
:http://www.etradehouse.com/code/ui/main/product_info.aspx?prdid=N100MK&catid26%4&prd_id13%704
:except that mine isn't copper clad.
:
:Has anyone seen anything else like this?
:
:
:
:Mike

I haven't, but it is not approved for use in Australia unless it has the A-tick
symbol on the cable or the box containing the cable.
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1455#19

Site Timeline