Altronics solder - any good? - Page 2

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

I based it on the price of 2x 500g rolls  (RS).  VS  a 1kg roll from
Altronics.

I would rather have the 2 x 500g, than 1kg as if you do field work,
smaller rolls are less weight to lug around in a tool box,
and less risk of harm if they fall from a height - like if you are up
a ladder.

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

I based it on the price of 2x 500g rolls  (RS).  VS  a 1kg roll from
Altronics.

I would rather have the 2 x 500g, than 1kg as if you do field work,
smaller rolls are less weight to lug around in a tool box,
and less risk of harm if they fall from a height - like if you are up
a ladder.

================================

Soldering up a ladder - sounds like fun....

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

Have had to do that plenty of times :)   Any case where you can't
bring the work to you ends up like this.

Re: Altronics solder - any good?
I don't take 500g rolls up anywhere - I save the doohicky packs the
desoldering braid comes in, and wind about 25-40 turns of solder into
it, and use that as a solder dispenser - (about 3-5m of solder)
Others I know use an old 35mm film canister with solder coiled inside. I
  know at my workplace,
dropping a 500gm solder roll would not be acceptable, and dropping a
much lighter container
would be preferable if anything was to be dropped.

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

I usually use an old reel thats probably only got 100g on it.  Don't
use a huge amount of solder in the field and this all saves weight.

Re: Altronics solder - any good?

I use the shell of an old marker pen.

I wind a few layers of solder on the shaft of a phillips screwdriver
then pack it inside with the start of the inner layer leading out the
where the nib was. maybe 50-100g of solder.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: Altronics solder - any good?
cant see there being a   problem with it. 60% tin , 40 % lead and resin
cored  , EXACTLY  like the jaycar    duratech  solder which i was  JUST
using .    works as it should, !!